Author Topic: freed after an 18-year jail sentence for leaking Israel's atomic weapons secret  (Read 502 times)

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
'Proud' Vanunu vows to fight on
Mordechai Vanunu has been freed after an 18-year jail sentence for leaking Israel's atomic weapons secrets.
To jeers and cheers from a crowd at the southern Israeli prison, he said he was proud of his actions but had suffered "very cruel and barbaric treatment".

He said: "Israel doesn't need nuclear arms. My message today to the world is: Open Dimona reactor for inspections."

A Christian convert, Mr Vanunu's first stop was St George's Anglican cathedral in Jerusalem where he went to pray.

Mr Vanunu had emerged from Shikma prison in Askhelon shortly after 1200 (0900GMT) looking happy and waving to hundreds of Israeli and foreign supporters gathered outside the gates.

To those who are calling me a traitor, I say I am proud and happy to do what I did
Mordechai Vanunu

A smaller counter-demonstration by Israelis shouted abuse as he made Victory-V signs with both hands.
Answering questions in English from reporters, Mr Vanunu said he was "not totally free" because of the restrictions Israel had placed on him, including a ban on travel outside the country.

But he said he wanted to go to the United States, get married and start a family.

He said he had been treated harshly because of his conversion to Christianity and he no longer had any secrets to publish.

HAVE YOUR SAY
It's a citizen's duty to reveal the wrong doings of his country
Marc, Quebec, Canada

Restrictions

Despite his protestations, the authorities say Mr Vanunu still possesses information that could jeopardise Israel's security.

"He is a man sentenced to prison for treason and he has repeatedly said he will go back to his old behaviour... [Israel] has to take precautions to prevent that from happening," said Foreign Ministry spokesman Jonathan Peled.

Mr Vanunu is not allowed to have a passport, is forbidden to approach ports and airports, and has been told not to talk to foreigners without permission.

Mr Peled told the BBC that he was allowed to talk to the international media, as long as he did not talk about his work at the Dimona plant.
"We have to strike the correct balance between safeguarding his personal liberty and looking after Israel's national security interests," Mr Peled said.

On the basis of the information he gave to the UK's Sunday Times newspaper in 1986, analysts concluded Israel had scores of nuclear warheads.

Israel maintains a policy of "strategic ambiguity" about its supposed nuclear arsenal and it has refused to sign the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty which would open Dimona up to international al scrutiny.

Supporters had gathered outside the jail, waving banners and calling Vanunu a "hero of peace". But many in Israel see him as a traitor who has endangered the country.

Israel said it could have placed much tougher post-release restrictions on Mr Vanunu - and the length of time the current regime will remain in force depends on his behaviour.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/middle_east/3645225.stm

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
this fuckin trader should've rot in jail for the rest of his life...
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
oh so ur in favour of israels illegal nuclear weapons program then?

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
lol...man , Israel's nuclear program is not less legal than USA's nuclear program...or any other country's nuclear program, just imagine USA having a traitor of this calliber, man Bush would've fuckin hung him ....Here in Israel this guy is considered a traitor, and I bet in any other country an analogical situation would cause the same public reaction....there is a thin line between  a left wing idealogy and revealing secrets of national security...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 11:20:25 PM by I TO DA GEEZY »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

I hope he gets killed by a Palestinian.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Man, I got a lot of respect for dude. He didnt reveal his secrets to another country, he did it to the press because personal convictions couldnt stand Israel's bullshit. There are no need for those weapons, and the fact that the most common  known fact in the world is not spoken on at least once by the US shows how fuckin corrupt the whole system is. Have Iraq destroy 150 scud missles, but let Israel sit on 200 nuclear warheads.
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
it's a question of hostillity....how many nuclear war heads the united states sit on?...what about russia...shit I ain't even talking bout the rest of the countries, revealing secrets of national security to anyone is a crime...as I said if something like this was to happen in the USA Bush would fuckin execute the the traitor.

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
i am against all nuclear weapons programmes whatever country they are in, and this man should be jailed for speaking out against it? israel does not need nuclear weapons to protect its self.

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
this man should be in jail for revealing metters of national security, he is an Israeli citizent and there are laws here that imply to cases like these.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 02:56:42 AM by I TO DA GEEZY »

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
rite ok sure ur obviously only interested in the law and have no sense of ethics or morals, the reason they put him in jail is to silence him about the shady stuff israel does but i guess as your main concern is israel's security rather the insecurity israel wants to inflict on the middle east or anywhere else. your not even israeli why are you so in favour of them covering up their secrets, america has their back anyway.

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
rite ok sure ur obviously only interested in the law and have no sense of ethics or morals, the reason they put him in jail is to silence him about the shady stuff israel does but i guess as your main concern is israel's security rather the insecurity israel wants to inflict on the middle east or anywhere else. your not even israeli why are you so in favour of them covering up their secrets, america has their back anyway.

he IS israeli

anyway.. i think is a good thing the sectret got revealed

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!

ethics?....which ethics are u talking about, the double standart inflicted on Israel with almost everything?...this guy sold the information to the foreign press....I wonder what would U say if a citizent of your country was to reveal metters of national security(in the USA even a try to reveal metters of national security is punished with death panalty), we haven't reached world peace yet, there is no reason  to reveal secrets that do not concern the rest of the world, Israel is surounded with states that don't recognize it's existance, with  constant threats of unconventional atacks, just like the rest of the countries that have nuclear weaponry we need it first and for all for intimidation.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 01:21:19 AM by I TO DA GEEZY »

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
ok i didn't know your Israeli so i can understand ur point of view however i disagree with how Israel runs its affairs anyway, and in the country i live in (England) we don't have capitol punishment. yes we have secracy laws but we've also had our fair share of whistle blowers and usually its usually when someone is so disgusted they feel the public have a right to know something, thus they to breach the law.

Israel should not seek to intimedate other countries but to work out peaceful solutions with them, but as america vetos any resolutions condemming israel and shows huge amounts of support, Israel thinks its free to do whateva it likes. its funny how america is so anxious to get nuclear inspectors into places like Iran and North Korea but has no interest in inspecting Israels nuclear facilities.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 05:56:32 AM by Don Rizzle »

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
ok i didn't know your Israeli so i can understand ur point of view however i disagree with how Israel runs its affairs anyway, and in the country i live in (England) we don't have capitol punishment. yes we have secracy laws but we've also had our fair share of whistle blowers and usually its usually when someone is so disgusted they feel the public have a right to know something, thus they to breach the law.

Israel should not seek to intimedate other countries but to work out peaceful solutions with them, but as america vetos any resolutions condemming israel and shows huge amounts of support, Israel thinks its free to do whateva it likes. its funny how america is so anxious to get nuclear inspectors into places like Iran and North Korea but has no interest in inspecting Israels nuclear facilities.

we don't have capitol punishment either, that's why I brought this example, to underline how they would act in a diffrend country in a situation like this....you're saying Israel  shouldn't intimedate other countries- and in a happy world it would be true and would aply to every country. Problem is that Israel is surounded with countries that denie it's existance, and want to destroy it, no metter how peacefull Israel is in it's intentions, the reason why the United States are anxious to inspect Iran and North Corea is because they are threatened by them in certain ways, Israel does not threaten the USA or any European country.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

we don't have capitol punishment either, that's why I brought this example, to underline how they would act in a diffrend country in a situation like this....you're saying Israel  shouldn't intimedate other countries- and in a happy world it would be true and would aply to every country. Problem is that Israel is surounded with countries that denie it's existance, and want to destroy it, no metter how peacefull Israel is in it's intentions, the reason why the United States are anxious to inspect Iran and North Corea is because they are threatened by them in certain ways, Israel does not threaten the USA or any European country.

How people don't get this, I'll never understand.