Author Topic: Canibus - C Tru Hollywood Stories Review...  (Read 937 times)

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
Canibus - C Tru Hollywood Stories Review...
« on: November 10, 2001, 04:28:18 AM »
New album by the Canibus man.. peep the review...

Tracklist:

01  Introduction                             01:30
02  Stan Lives                               01:26
03  U Didn't Care                            04:29
04  The Rip Off                              04:23
05  "C" T.H.S. (Title Track)              04:03
06  A Different Vibe in L.A.               03:50
07  I Gotta Story 2 Tell                   02:24
08  Stan N Can                              01:57
09  Hate U 2 Feat. Pakman               03:32
10  Stop Smokin                             03:11
11  Lemme Hear Sumthin Else            03:50
12  Hott Tonight                             04:37
13  Gotta Get that Doe                    04:07
14  R U Lyrically Fit?                       03:16
15  Ya Teef Iz Yellow                      01:29
16  Luv U 2                                   04:00
17  Box Cutter                               02:36
18  Draft Me! Feat C4                     04:32
19  One of My Favorites                  01:41
20  "C" T.H.S. Outro                       01:53
21  Bonus Track                            01:20

Introduction - dope movie/tv show style intro... even if you dont like canibus... this intro is fucking ill.  i swear it's got some tv guy doing it...
Stan Lives - This is an intro... it's Canibus and some cats driving to a show.. behind Stan... after he drives off the bridge they pull over and help him, call 911 and whatnot.... which nicely sets up...
U Didnt Care - first song on the album... nice beat... It's the joint with Canibus rapping as "Stan"... personally i think it's dope and hilarious... he talks about what happened since the end of the song until now.... this is some seriously dope writing by Canibus....
The Rip Off - this has a "Can I Kick It" type hook/intro... wierd beat.. it has like a middle eastern flute sample... i like it though... "you played russian roulette with a musket and got busted in your own nugget"  This song is basically about an alias known as Rip The Jacker...
C T.H.S. (Title Track) - Very different delivery from Canibus... it's like.. a more mellow.. darker... less amped flow... it's a nice switch up.  It details Canibus'  life/career
A Different Vibe In L.A. - chick singing the hook.. but it goes with the dark beat.... "its definitely a different vibe west of the prime merdian/producers fuck with live instruments, rhymes are wittier/but don't sleep, cause in a heartbeat cali'll shit on ya/someone'll put a hit on ya/this'll be where they bury ya/i think its beautiful i don't wanna be scarin ya/the women are prettier and the chronic is superior/got a girl from Syria/smells like strawberries on her period/im serious thats why i moved in with the chick/we on the top of Mount Olympus sharin' our intrests/over a moonlit dinner burnin some insence/she looked so innocent/next thing i know she's pinnin' me to the bed like a scene out of basic instinct/bought her a pink mink and a double link ring/she didnt know i was a rapper and i did my thing thing/what a coincidence she listen to Eminem and NSync, Shaggy Nelly and the Saint Lunatic Click/Uh Oh!"
Dopeness to me anyways... his story telling is massively improved....
I Got A Story To Tell - yipes. He's definitely dissing Jigga on this track..... short lil track.. 2 and a half minutes

"Wonder why I make beef out that steamed fish/tell your artists keep my name out their mouth or you wont have no peace/compared to canibus your pitbulls are poultry/you and biggie made a dope team/but i'd roast beans/so be careful how you approach things/my name aint Jay to the Mwah man I got a flow that stinks/its rap music, you confuse it if you want to/i might still diss you just to see what you're gonna do/
you must be gettin insecure or somethin/im just admiring your shit man i aint gonna touch it/i been through a lot of things in my life but i learned from it/put yourself in my shoes don't i deserve something?/the only difference between me and you is a budget/don't make me have to go sign with Suge or somethin/remember this, history repeats itself/whenever that never ending hunger meets itself/everybody want they wealth peace and health/when i was fucked up you aint give me a couple g's to help/did you? no/ you waited for my cheese to melt/you want all the hott beats in the streets to yourself/while my patronym is different enough to attract interest from anybody in the rap business/an ima get it cash or credit/besides a little drama with my first two records/rip the jackers image is unblemished/c'mon i wouldn't bit you/i look at you like my dentist/i thought you was number 1 recommended/why you offended?/hip-hop aint your property you aint the only tenant/if i win the lottery you cant tell me how to spend it/you got somethin to say don't put your henchmen in it/them little monkey faced artists that you signed for pennies/i refuse to serve em like dennys/dont tell me that your school of hard knocks turned preppy/none of y'all motherfuckers know me and you never met me/if my name wasn't shit then you wouldn't sweat me/thats absurd right? me gettin busy get on your nerves right?/you really are listening to the words right? high when i wrote this/but sober when i spoke it/its not like i tried to promote it like Jayo did/you know this/man i was never focused on you/i just spit hard on the mic cause my shit is hot too/i went out and bought your album 2 times i aint hatin/next thing i know you talkin jamaican like you a native/but you really violatin/you dont know what you sayin/Canibus aint in the game so you know he aint playin/i had nothin before and i have nothing now/fucking with a n*gga with nothin only brings you down..."
Stan N Can - basically this is Bis and Stan on an interlude... its funny shit... theyre in a limo... he's going through the candy.. he's like "yo they got candy man, snickers, twix, m&ms.. yo bis i can eat these m&ms?" haha.. i love it...
Hate U 2 feat. Pakman - hello video game beat... Bis basically disses the haters... i dont like the hook... at all... but Bis sounds good. (pakman is another alias i believe.)
Stop Smokin - I honestly don't know what the fuck is going on here.... the guy on the last verse reminds me of G-Child.. hah....basically its talking about crack smoking.
Lemme Hear Something Else - good beat.. Bis spits well.. about the industry etc and how shit is so repetitive... dopeness.
Hott Tonight - "Oh Jermaine.. can you please tell me one of your Hollywood Stories" ... basically this is Bis rapping to the chick on the intro... its dope stuff imo....
Gotta Get That Doe - haha pakman and canibus are talking on the intro... they diss Eminem again on the hook..... Bis tears his ass up.... then Pakman raps... dope as well. I dunno if this is Bis or not? maybe not....
R U Lyrically Fit - sounds more like a typical Canibus song.. until "C4" comes in.. this is probably just Canibus with his voice distorted... reminds me of RBX but not as cool of a voice.  i like the violin sample and the way the drums come in once in a while...
Ya Teef Is Yellow - okay... this is a play on a song i've heard before... haha this shit is too funny!!
Luv U 2 - welcome back video game beat.. its basically Hate U 2 flipped..... cool idea.  
Box Cutter - man.. this is dope.. classic Canibus....violin beat... Canibus goes off...... the only beef i have is that it's only 2 and a half minutes...
Draft Me - nice rock guitars on the beat... Stan spits on the end haha... dopeness... military setting.. its basically bis and some cats talking about wanting to get into the military and go over to Afghanistan...
One Of My Favorites - the guy from the intro again... reading a Canibus quote... haha its dope.. the guy is reading a Canibus rhyme... i love it.
C.T.H.S Outro - nice outro beat.. dang.  could've used this instead of one of the weaker beats on a song..
There's a bonus track on the end with Canibus spitting the rhyme live that the tv guy said on "One Of My Favorites"

Okay... now some people might say things like
a: whys canibus dissing eminem?
- answer - eminem came at him first back in the slim shady days when canibus was already a gold artist...
b: whys canibus dissing jigga?
- answer - i dunno.. sounds like there's some history there.. and who cares, its funny and dope!
c: why isnt canibus battling as much?
- answer - because he's trying to show he can do more than that.. this is easily one of the better story/concept albums out there...

in conclusion... dope album... i love the concept.. and Bis comes off constantly whether he's telling stories or ripping the mic straight out... only a couple of average beats keep this from perfect status.

4.5/5

Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

teecee

Re: Canibus - C Tru Hollywood Stories Review...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2001, 05:36:14 AM »
4.5 for Canibus???????
    Ok, Cliche, i am gonna be home Sunday morning so i'm coming oveer and this cd better be dopeness, Canibus' best ever.  I've heard a lot of weird shit about this cd, but i will give it  a chance.  He better of stepped up his beats and actual song writing (i know he got the battle lyrics).
    Thanx for the review.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2001, 06:03:18 AM »
man... seriously its a 4.5..... i love the whole story thing.. and he still has the raw lyrics while improving on his storytelling.. the only weak link is a few beats (like 3) and a couple of sub-par hooks...
Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2001, 09:21:09 AM »
i'm downloading it as we speak...i've been waiting for this cd for a long time...can't wait to hear it...ill let yall know what i think, peace.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2001, 12:51:33 PM »
this is hardly the cd full of dope rhymes, metaphores, and intelligence that i thought i was gonna receive...instead i got alot of corny choruses and even canibus trying to relate to the ladies like jay-z or timbaland would...there are some tight songs on here but they are weighed down by the corny...hate u 2 and luv u 2 have the same video game beat and they are terrible, a total 0/5 for both tracks, there is nothing good about them...i didn't like the whole shit behind the stan thing but it was interesting but less entertaining than what i was expecting, although i didn't want to hear it at all...stop smokin has a 'jigga what, jigga who' sound which seems like everyone is starting to use now, but it is terribly wack song...gotta get that doe uses a similar chorus to the macarena so you can expect little to nothing although canibus comes off decent on this one, but nothing memorable...ya teef iz yellow is a complete joke and i am now dumber for listening to it...C T.H.S. is not the greatest song but some of yall might like it...that's all the bad on the album...

now for the good...the rip off which is the second actual song on the cd and it's real tight and that is what i was expecting throughout the whole cd, great lyrics and a tight beat...a different vibe in l.a. is real nice, some chick on the chorus which i am really feeling and most of yall will too, canibus comes real nice on this track explaining how la is much different to the regular shit that he's used to...i gotta story to tell might be my favorite song on the cd, it's a heavy diss to the roc-a-fella camp, right away you can sense a jigga related song when you hear the heavy 70's sample kick off the song but the shit is real ill...lemme hear sumthin else is regular canibus spitten shit to all that brag about their fortune and money, i like this one cause it's like a shut the fuck up about your ice type shit with real nice lyrics and a decent chorus...r u lyrically fit would be classic bis if that c-4 dude didn't start the song, other than that the song is real nice...box cutter, this is the song that most of the canibus fans are feeling the most on this cd but i don't think it's the best but it does really compliment bis' style and flow, good beat as well...draft me is good, i don't like the dude featured in it, you also hear stan in it again but it ain't that bad cause he aint there for long, the guitar riff gets me goin but the chorus is stupid and cheesy...the outro to the cd might be the illest beat on the cd and he dont even rap over it, oh well maybe on a freestyle or somthin in the future...overall this is canibus' worst cd in hardcore bis fans opinion but others may like it better because of some of the corny shit that you hear on it...i will pick it up none the less cause it is still a bis cd to me...bis' level 3/5
everything else- maybe a 3.5/5 but i doubt it

peace.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

SugeFight

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2001, 01:16:04 PM »
The new can-i-bus CD is pretty whack.  Im definitely not impressed.  He tries so hard to sound smart and he falls flat on his face.  Plus the beats are pretty bad.  3/5 at best.

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2001, 07:14:13 PM »
yo man he has song that samples "the macarena" for its beat and hook......... are u kidding me??? that just took like 2 mics off the album alone plus hate u 2 and luv u 2 suck

boxcutter is aight but big deal and the rest of it is shit...... this album blows

its almost like its a joke or something

SugeFight

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2001, 07:24:54 AM »
The album gets worse everytime I hear it.  I officially give it a 1.5 out of 5.  Way to go, Can-I-Bus!!

Oh yah..and Cliche you should be shot for giving this shit 4.5 stars :)  Ok..not shot-but you need to get your mind right.

circle

• Lil Geezy
  • none
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2001, 03:43:10 AM »
This album was no way near 4.5... no way.

The album was a dissapointment...  I hope his new one in March makes up for this.

Circle
www.bigegos.net // coming soon

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2002, 06:10:32 AM »
An accurate review from y2hiphop.com.  It's sad but true.

In 1997 you couldn't find an emcee hotter than Canibus. His lyrically astonishing performances on various tracks such as "Beasts From The East", "Uni4orm", "4,3,2,1" and "Desperado's" put Canibus on top of the world. You couldn't escape the sounds of Canibus he was literally everywhere. However, we all know the story from here on out. His debut album "Can-I-Bus" was a flop, and didn't deliver the classic experience everyone expected. Bis soon fell out of the spotlight and into obscurity. Many questioned if Canibus could bounce back after such a disappointment. But Canibus answered these questions when he released one of the most slept on albums of the year, "2000 B.C.". The album featured much improved production this time around, which helped Bis get some of his respect back. But even throughout all the drama, one thing was always certain; Canibus was a lyrical demon. You would be hard pressed to find a better emcee out there then Canibus. But that was then, and this is now! A lot can change in a short period of time!

After parting ways with Universal records, Canibus decided to go the independent route with his third release "C: True Hollywood Story", but the result does not end up with a positive result. Many did not know what to expect with Bis's new release since his recent material the past couple of months have been all over the place, but no one expected this! To put it nicely, "C: True Hollywood Story" is a disaster. We do not witness the Canibus we have all grown to love over the years; instead we witness someone who is almost the complete opposite. What happened to Canibus on this album is mind boggling and almost too shocking and utterly horrible to describe. Never before has an emcee done a 360 like this.

The first thing everyone should know is, Canibus is insane! No I am not joking, and after listening to this album you will truly understand what I am talking about. Believe it or not, The whole concept of this album revolves around Canibus' obsession with Eminem. Canibus plays the role of Stan throughout most of the album, yes Stan the suicidal fan who killed himself along with his girlfriend in the classic Eminem tale. The beginning skit "Stan Lives" features Canibus driving behind Stan before he plunges to his apparent death over the bridge, as witness on the real version of the classic tale. However, Canibus dives into the river saving Stan from his death, thus starting a new friendship. This skit leads into the horrendous "U Didn't Care", which is a response to Eminem's "Stan". Canibus raises his voice and dumb downs his lyrics to sound like Stan, the result is laughable to say the least. "What up Em, it's ya biggest fan. Its not even necessary to introduce who I am now cause we good friends. Remember the letter I wrote? Before Atlanta on up in smoke that was the day I was gonna cut ya throat…I promise I won't harass you with any letters saying' shit like we should be together. I meant we should start a crew. The industry is full of homosexuals, Slim but I don't wanna fuck you". Plain and simple, this is one of the worst songs ever recorded. Why would Canibus portray the character of Stan and make a whole song dissing Eminem? Canibus never states why he has beef with Eminem; one can only wonder what is running through his mind.

Staying on the Eminem vibe, "Stan N Can" is a skit where we find Canibus introducing Stan to the Hip-Hop world. Bis decides to put Stan on his team as a fellow emcee, hooks him up with some cloths, ice, etc. Eventually an exuberant Stan pulls out some M&M's to eat, asking Bis if he wants some, only to get the response of "I don't eat M&M's". Two questions come to mind after listening to this skit, what is the point of this skit, and why was it done? The only other time we witness "Stan" is on the lurid "Draft Me". The track sounds like a sequel to "Rip Rock", and we all know how that track turned out. The tracks laughable beat and hook are too bad to describe. "Draft me, I wanna fight for my country, jump in a humv and murder those monkeys". You would think Canibus would have learned his lesson the first time around.

Besides going at Eminem, Canibus pulls another shocker with the deceivingly titled track "I Gotta Story To Tell". The track isn't really a story at all; instead it is a diss track going at Jay-z, Beanie Siegel and Jadakiss. "Tell your artists to keep my name out their mouth, or you won't have no peace. Compared to Canibus, your pitbulls are poultry. You and Biggie made a dope team, but I roast Beans. So be careful how you approach things. My name ain't J to the muah, man I got a flow that stings". Once again we are left baffled wondering why Canibus is going at The Roc and Kiss. Is Canibus really that crazy that he has to go at every emcee who mentions his name in a track? The track actually ends up as one of the few highlights on the album. But in the end all the track does is put up more questions instead of giving any answers.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2002, 06:11:08 AM »
Review continued:

However, it does get worse for Canibus. "C:True Hollywood Story" is filled with more horrible tracks than conceivable to anyone's imagination. This train wreck of an album is truly one of the worst ever put out by a respectable artist. Even the biggest Canibus fan has to cringe upon listening. "The Rip Off" is a horrendously produced track that sounds like a cheap rip off of "Buckingham Palace". But unlike its predecessor, Canibus does nothing to help its cause. "So much blood on the floor, you might as well be pretending to be mud wrestling a dozen bitches pmsing, sounds kind of tempting doesn't it". The track is truly horrid thanks to shallow lyrics like this, and the tracks horrible hook, which is a remake of A Tribe Called Quest's "Can I Kick It", which has only been done a thousand times before. Unfortunately it does get worse, yet again. "Hate U 2" and " Luv U 2" both occupy the same beat, which mildly put, is one of the worst ever constructed. The track sounds like a horrible reincarnation of the tetris theme music. The production sounds like it came from a $5 fisher price keyboard or some simple computer generated beat program. Even more tracks that will make you wanna hang yourself are the unbearable "Stop Smokin", "Lemme Hear Somthin Else", "Hot Tonight" and "Gotta Get That Doe". These tracks all suffer from a lack of originality and just plain being corny. Each track is a different step for canibus, pitting him spitting not about his usual barrage of lyrics, instead about women and money. The tracks deal with the same tired old topics that have been used over and over again. After "2000 B.C." many fans criticized Bis for his lack of diversity in subject matter, and labeling him as strictly a battle emcee. Well, Canibus gave the critics what they wanted and put out an album with almost no battle rhymes, but this wasn't what we wanted. Plain and simple, the concepts are immature and put together horribly. Maybe Bis should have stuck with his bread and butter after all.

The final straw is the hideous "Ya Teef Iz Yellow". This skit is too bad to describe. Trying to find the words to describe such immature, straight up crap like this is impossible. The track is truly the worst piece of trash ever to grace this earth. The track is about brushing your teeth! "Ya teef iz yellow, As yellow as some pineapple punch. Ya teef iz yellow. They got that way because u don't brush. Ya teef iz yellow. It's too late for that toothpaste won't be enough. Ya teef iz yellow. You probably got gingivitis in your gums". Someone stop the bleeding!

"C: True Hollywood Story" cant be that bad, but unfortunately it is. The only two remotely enjoyable tracks are the laid back "A Different Vibe In L.A." and the vicious "Boxcutter, Bladerunner". "A Different Vibe In L.A." is a welcomed change for Bis, where he rhymes over a mellow beat and spits about life in Los Angeles. "Boxcutter, Bladerunner" features Bis rhyming ferociously, mixing it up with a fast flow this time around, over a nicely produced track. "Somewhere in Afghanistan, USA survival teams keep an eye on their surroundings in the jihad regime. A total riot scene, back and forth they encrypt fiber optic beams". While both of these tracks may be enjoyable, they are both prime examples of how far Bis has fell in the lyrical department.

The two categories, which most albums are judged by, are production and lyricism, and Canibus fails both of these with flying colors. Believe it or not, the production aspect on "C: True Hollywood Story" is worse than that on his debut album "Can-I-Bus". Combine this with Canibus' attempt at lyricism nowadays and the result is one of the biggest disappointments in recent memory. One thing you never thought would happen is Canibus not delivering lyrically, but that is definitely the case with this release. Bis has fallen so low that not one verse on the album even mirrors that of his old self. It's like night and day, comparing this album lyrically to this previous two. What happened to the man who dazzled us with amazing guest appearances and sick lines like "I walk the streets with heat, three biscuits. Out numbering niggazs twin glocks with triplets".

After listening to "C: True Hollywood Story" you cannot help but feel sorry for Canibus. This album is just plain embarrassing and is going to shatter Bis's career for certain. Even diehard Canibus fans that have supported him since 97 (such as myself) cannot support such an album. "C: True Hollywood Story" is a disgrace to all his fans and all the people who have supported this man through thick and thin. Who would have thought the outcome would warrant this? It is truly a sad sight to see something like this happen to someone with so much talent and potential. Canibus had the potential to be one the greatest this game has ever seen. Instead he will fall into the depths of the unknown, becoming the laughing stock of the industry.

At the end of the album the "C: True Hollywood Story" narrator gives us a classic Canibus line from his glory days in 97. After listening to this, it truly makes you wonder what happened. After spitting nothing but fire for years, Canibus has become just another emcee in a pool of thousands. He has fallen off in every way possible, lyrically, conceptually and especially mentally. Nevertheless, this album is the nail in the coffin. Canibus will never be looked at in the same light again; his career is truly over.

KVB

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2002, 06:33:31 AM »
4.5/5 ??? ???

Are you out of your fuckin mind...? ???

This album is totally wack, deserves 1/5... one of the wackest hip-hop albums I've ever heard, dude Cliche, your opinion is totally absurd. Man, get a sense of reality... LOL

No beef, I just had to speak my mind about this.

Peace