Author Topic: Chris Mathews interview with Donald Rumsfied: SCRIPT  (Read 156 times)

infinite59

Chris Mathews interview with Donald Rumsfied: SCRIPT
« on: May 03, 2004, 09:08:20 AM »
RUMSFELD: The direct connection between 9/11 and...

MATTHEWS: You feel there’s a connection?

RUMSFELD: There’s a different one. No.

MATTHEWS: You see one?

RUMSFELD: No.

MATTHEWS: You don’t see an al Qaeda-Iraq connection before 9/11?

RUMSFELD: Well, I—it’s not a matter for me to see it, but the—the Central Intelligence Agency and the director of central intelligence has testified to the relationships between Iraq and terrorists.

We know he would spend $25,000 to suicide bombers.

MATTHEWS: Sure. For the ones in Israel. Sure, those people.

RUMSFELD: Yes.

MATTHEWS: But in terms of 9/11, there’s no connection?

RUMSFELD: Is it?

MATTHEWS: Between Iraq and 9/11?

RUMSFELD: It’s too complex a subject for me to answer yes or no. George Tenet has testified publicly and privately on that subject before Congress, and that is the official position of the United States government.

MATTHEWS: Which one? There’s no connection?

RUMSFELD: No. You have to (UNINTELLIGIBLE), because it is a complex set of issues and implicit intelligence facts (ph).

MATTHEWS: But the president said recently, when he was asked—it was with Tony Blair that time, the prime minister of Great Britain. And he said there’s no connection between 9/11 and Iraq.

RUMSFELD: If you’re asking whether Iraqis, who were (UNINTELLIGIBLE) people engaged in 9/11, the answer is no.

MATTHEWS: You believe there’s still a possibility that the Iraqi government had something to do with planning the attack on us, 9/11?

RUMSFELD: Not to my knowledge.

MATTHEWS: Therefore, this war is not payback? There was no direct 9/11?

RUMSFELD: The...

MATTHEWS: The Iraqi war is not getting even with the people that hit us 9/11?

RUMSFELD: No. I see your point.

MATTHEWS: Is that the case? It’s not...

RUMSFELD: It is, but in a different way.

MATTHEWS: Let me try, correctly. Is this payback—is this war, in the line—in the sentiments of the music, in the culture of that country, many people’s minds, this is somehow justice for what happened to us 9/11. Is it? Or is it unrelated? Or is it not directly related? How would you connect the two?

If you were hit in the Pentagon, we’re hitting them in Iraq, is that connected?

RUMSFELD: If you’re asking if there’s a direct link between 9/11 and Iraq, the answer is no. If you’re asking, is the United—the threat (ph) of the United States from terror that exists and that was demonstrated on 9/11, in that manifestation, but exists in a variety of manifestations, and is what we’re doing in Iraq today a part of that effort against terrorists, no, certainly it is.

infinite59

Re:Chris Mathews interview with Donald Rumsfied: SCRIPT
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 09:09:13 AM »
Go here for full transcript:  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4865948/

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re:Chris Mathews interview with Donald Rumsfied: SCRIPT
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 02:29:25 PM »
oh man... interesting read to say the least. Too bad the conservatives just believe the hype.