Author Topic: Warren G - Take A Look Over Your Shoulder(Reality)  (Read 1001 times)

IKON

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Pharoahe - God's Gift to Vocabulary BIOTCH!!!!
Warren G - Take A Look Over Your Shoulder(Reality)
« on: November 03, 2001, 10:08:10 AM »
;D Iam going to give this review stuff a try.

This is Warren G's follow up to his multi-platinum debut G-Funk Era.

1. Star Trek Intro - Pretty wack intro in my opinion, guess Warren G was on some outta space shit

2. Annie Mae - Classic G Funk right here. Warren G laying down the vocals and Nate Dogg on the hook. They both make the perfect combination. Bouncy beat with almost the same "bleep" sound from Dre's "Let me ride" coming in and out during the verses. Great way to start the album
5/5

3. Smokin' Me Out feat. Ronald Isley.
Just by the name of it you know its going to be some smooth shit. It is. Warren G does the vocals and Ronald Isley does the hook. Incredible song. It was the first single from the album and a great choice too. It contains an interpolation from Isley's "Cooling me out".
5/5

4.Ricky in Church(Skit)

5. Reality - Warren goes solo for this album. He does the vocals and the hook as well. The beat is good but sounds too plain. Nate Dogg on the hook would have made this song alot better.
3.5/5

6. Ricky and G-Child(Skit)

7. Young Fun feat. Knee-Hi and Jayo Felony
I don't like this song at all. The hook by Warren is real cheesy. Knee-Hi comes tight but female high pitch voice emcees sort of annoy me. Jayo bring heat with his verse. The beat is plainly simple.
3/5

8.What We Go Through feat. Bad Azz,Perfec and Malik
The song starts out with that same voice that is heard at the end of "This DJ" off Warren's debut album. The beat is very bouncy and G Funk at its best. Malik starts it off with some heat. Then Bad Azz and after Perfec. They all sound good on this beat. Warren finishes it off with a little diss to LL Cool J.
This track was to set the record straight to tell peeps you don't know what the fuck we go through.
4.5/5

9. We Brings Heat feat. The Twinz and 5 Footaz
Very smooth track. Something you just play at night to chill to. The 5 footaz start it off and they actually sound tight. The Twinz bring heat and we all know Warren does his shit. At first listen I didn't like this track but now I love it.
4.5/5

10. Transformers - The only complaint I have about this song is that it is a little short. By far my favorite song on this album. The beat is bumpin and vintage Warren G. Damn!!! y'all just gotta check it out. The hook is done by a vocoder like Battlecat does but it sounds tight over this beat. Some of y'all may recognize the hook "Transformers, Bustaz in disguise!!!"
5/5

11. Reel Tight Intro(Skit) Warren introduces this new RnB group that he signed.

12. Relax Ya Mind feat. Reel Tight
My second favorite song on this album. The beat is so laid back. Something you could bump on the beach and shit. It's too laid back to get description. Reel Tight does the hook and they do a great job.
5/5

13.To All DJ's feat. Malik
It has a similar but slowed down beat to DJ Pooh's "Whoop Whoop". Malik starts it off and Warren finishes it. I don't really like this track, its aight
3/5

14.Back Up Performed by K9 and PC
Warren just produces this track but does not appear in it. Apparently he signed these two rappers. K9 we all know is now with Death Row and this is his first appearance ever. They both sound tight over the G Funk beat.
4/5

15. Can You Feel It
I don't feel this Warren track at all. It has almost the same beat as "What we go through" well the drums at least. I dislike this track I don't know why though. :-/
2/5

16. I Shot the Sheriff
The beat sound a little like Dre's "Let me Ride". Just listen and you will know what part. It's a real laid back song. Nanci Fletcher and Warren do the hook. It's a slow G Funk song. Classic Warren G in my opinion.
4.5/5

17. I Shot the Sheriff(EMPD Remix)
This version was produced by Erick Sermon. He usually comes tight on his beats but this one is well sucky. It contains interpolations of his previous hit "Strictly Business" but that doesnt help it much. The original blows this one off the planet.
This was just a filler track to give us an extra song I bet.
2/5

Many peeps seemed to be dissapointed with this album but only because they expected Warren to top his debut "G Funk Era". Alot like when Snoop came out with "Doggfather" and peeps expected him to top Doggystyle. In all honestly Warren G may never make a more classic album than G Funk Era but that is not a bad thing. He will just keep on making different classic albums like this one. This album does sound tremendously influenced by the same formula he used for his debut but it didn't come out as good
Overall this album is
4.5/5 near classic but classic if you ask me and a must have

Murrow

Re: Warren G - Take A Look Over Your Shoulder(Real
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2001, 11:33:16 AM »
I bought this CD used and kept it for about a week...I didn't feel it half as much as, "Regulate."  Thought it was weak in my opinion.  6.5/10
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2001, 01:55:29 PM »
The beat to reality is PLAIN?? I LOVE that track! That shit is 5..i personally thought smokin me out was weak but shhiiiiit reality is classic....can you feel it is great too,no offense to you man  but i think you are off...just opinions you know...i don't think this album i near classic but i'd just put it under Dope albums....some classic shit,some weaker stuff,i think every song is at leats okay and i think both i shot the sherriff's are dope...eh,peace-Tanjint

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Doggystylin

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2001, 02:02:45 PM »

The beat to reality is PLAIN?? I LOVE that track! That shit is 5..i personally thought smokin me out was weak but shhiiiiit reality is classic....can you feel it is great too,no offense to you man  but i think you are off...just opinions you know...i don't think this album i near classic but i'd just put it under Dope albums....some classic shit,some weaker stuff,i think every song is at leats okay and i think both i shot the sherriff's are dope...eh,peace-Tanjint

I agree

IKON

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Pharoahe - God's Gift to Vocabulary BIOTCH!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2001, 05:45:22 PM »
;D

I guess I just loved this album more than u guys. It is absolutely impossible to please every1.

Siberian_Wolf

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FREE OL DIRTY!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2001, 03:50:34 AM »
Theres something wrong with this album. I always recognized that its some tight G funk, a quality CD, but there are songs that i aint listened to more than 2 times. Thats strange.
I be one of those tall skinny cats with the four-nine
Three-eleven that rips through Power-U's and breaks spines
I culture power-tuggin' boys who be drunk, buggin'
Lovin' loud noise from toys, club thuggin'
Sweet chocolate deluxe, rugged, sexy buttercup
That don't give a fuck about the cop in the club
RZA in DO U

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2001, 08:37:24 AM »
i loved this album, fell in love with it the first time i heard it...as well as g funk era...did not like his third, and don't really like his new shit as much but it's a step up from i want it all...but reality is a real tight tight cd in my opinion, peace.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

Cliftone_Santiago_909

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2001, 10:48:21 PM »
This is my personal favorite Warren G cd.

I agree with most of what you said... just didnt agree too much with your scores.

And I dont see why you dont like "Can You Feel It" either... that song is like my favorite song form the album, it samples the same song Dru Down sampled for "Can You Feel Me"... both of those songs are tight.. I have a hard time deciding which one I like best.

"These Bustas! Betta Recognize What's Commin'/ Dancin' On D's With Tha Alpine Bumpin'/ Ever Since A Child I Knew How To Live Foul/ Now I Bust Rhymes Like A Cool CRIMINAL" - King Tee

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2001, 05:47:44 AM »
this cd waz borin" and dissapointin.......it waz nothin near tha level of "g-funk era"...or "I want it all"....
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?

SugeFight

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2001, 07:09:21 AM »
this cd waz borin" and dissapointin.......it waz nothin near tha level of "g-funk era"...or "I want it all".... >>

I think the CD is right up there with G-Funk and I Want It All.  Seriously-listen to it again (Everyone that thinks it sucks).

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2001, 12:21:11 AM »
i listend to it uncountable times hopin itz one of them slow workin magic cdz....well...it didnt man....imo it waz warrenz big creativity dipresion...lol.....but he alwayz waz in my top 5 producers ever....so itz all good ....
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?

TheSheriff

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2001, 05:54:54 AM »
I like this just about as much as Regulate. Straight classic.

NEW_MINORITY

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2001, 07:12:36 AM »
you overrated some of the songs on there homie

Sikotic™

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2001, 08:32:27 AM »
I don't know what some people were expectin' on this album. It is a solid album.

There are no completely wack tracks and there are really no stand out tracks.

Personally I like this album better than I Want It All.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

NEW_MINORITY

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2001, 08:56:29 AM »

I don't know what some people were expectin' on this album. It is a solid album.

There are no completely wack tracks and there are really no stand out tracks.

Personally I like this album better than I Want It All.

i agree