Author Topic: As if the U.N. didn't have legitimacy problems... Sudan Gets human rights seat  (Read 214 times)

Woodrow

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Sudan won an uncontested election Tuesday to the United Nations (news - web sites)' main human rights watchdog, prompting the United States to walk out because of alleged ethnic cleansing in the country's Darfur region.

Sudan's envoy immediately shot back that the U.S. delegation was "shedding crocodile tears," and he accused the United States of turning a blind eye as Iraqi prisoners were mistreated and civilians were harmed in battle.

Fourteen vacant seats were filled Tuesday for the 53-nation U.N. Human Rights Commission based in Geneva. Many were decided by regional groups before Tuesday's voting in the Economic and Social Council in New York.

In the African regional group, Sudan, Guinea, Togo and Kenya, filled seats for three-year terms on the commission, beginning in January.

Sichan Siv, the U.S. delegate to the council, accused Sudan of having no right to sit on the rights commission because of ethnic cleansing in Darfur where the government is accused of backing Arab militia in pillaging black Africa villages, raping and killing.

"The United States will not participate in this absurdity," Siv said. "Our delegation will absent itself from the meeting rather than lend support to Sudan's candidacy," he said before briefly walking out of council chambers.

He had done the same a year ago when Cuba won a seat on the commission.

Sudan's deputy U.N. ambassador, Omar Bashir Mohamed Manis, said the United States had no right to accuse anyone of human rights violations, after allegations of abuses in Iraq (news - web sites) including mistreatment of Iraqis held in U.S.-run prisons

Images of the Iraqi prisoners "are fresh in the minds of all justice-loving people around the world," he said.

The U.S. military is conducting an investigation into the prisoner abuse scandal after news reports and photos broadcast by CBS last week showed Iraqis stripped naked and tormented by U.S. captors.

Manis also referred to Iraqi civilian casualties during a recent siege in Falluja. "This (U.S.) delegation is turning a blind eye to the atrocities committed by the American forces against the innocent civilian population in Iraq, including women and children," he said,

Filling other seats on the commission, Canada, Finland and France were elected from the Western group. Spain, another candidate, was defeated. In the Asian group, Malaysia, South Korea (news - web sites) and Pakistan won seats with another candidate, Vietnam, defeated.

Mexico and Ecuador faced no opposition among the Latin American group. Armenia and Romania were elected to assured seats among Eastern Europeans.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20040504/wl_nm/un_rights_elections_dc

First off, This isn't "Alleged" like they say in the article.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=37913

After the Oil for food BS and now this? Yes, it is true that the pictures of the mistreatment of Iraqi prisoners are still fresh on the world's mind; however, I wonder what world opinion would be if the press were to present pictures of the ethnic cleansing occurring in the Sudan. Why is it that Muslims seem to be able to get their suffering out to the world, but abuse of Christians by Muslims are taking place in several areas of the world, and it is not made public. Why the double standard?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2004, 10:51:54 AM by Krayze-Eyez Killah »

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
I cant disagree with u here. Cant put a spin on this. Whats happening in Sudan is disgusting,
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

JTSimon

shedding crocodile tears  ;D haha

Woodrow

shedding crocodile tears  ;D haha

Why would you Smile at anything to do with ethnic clensing?

Stick to the G-spot moron.

infinite59

America is in no position to look down on another country for abusing human rights... In the meantime, while they are complaining about Sudan, they are killing thousands of Iraqi's every week and stealing their oil.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 08:45:08 PM by Hajj Ibrahim Islam »

smerlus

America is in no position to look down on another country for abusing human rights... In the meantime, while they are complaining about Sudan, they are killing thousands of Iraqi's every week and stealing their oil.

we're killing the same people that are killing iraqis...we are also re-building thier cities....read all the news not just the shit you can bitch about, pussy

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Tell me smerlus, about the ongoing re construction efforts in Najaf, Baghdad and Fallujah?
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll