Author Topic: Snoop Doggy Dogg- Tha Doggfather (REVIEW)  (Read 996 times)

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Snoop Doggy Dogg- Tha Doggfather (REVIEW)
« on: May 07, 2002, 04:56:45 AM »
Yes, yes, tech is back with a review of Snoop Doggy Dogg's sophomore joint Tha Doggfather

Now, alot of motherfuckers hated on this album in a major way, cuz it wasnt Doggystyle Part Deuce, it didnt have Dre etc etc

But this was simply a GOOD album that was overlooked by the gigantic shadow of a classic debut, Nas suffered a similiar fate with It Was Written

1. Intro
Cool lil intro, where tehy go over the whole murder case Snoop was involved with, at the end he tells who over thought Gangsta Rap was dead can suck his dick

2. "Tha Doggfather"  (5/5)
Beautiful song, great way to start an album off.  Ol Skool piano work on this joint, and Snoop just flows on this track,
this is smooth

3. "Ride For Me" (skit)
The lil homie gets capped up for crossing Big D O double

4. "Up Jumps the Boogie" feat. Kurupt  (5/5)
I love this track, great beat, a true west coast jam, you can just see ya self bouncing ta this either in ya car or at the homies house, the chorus is dope, a lil voice box on that mofo
Kurupt spits a verse, its a Death Row Kurupt verse, nuff said
Snoop denounces certain aspects of the gangsta culture

Before I give a nigga a 9/
Id rather give him a mic and write him a rhyme/

5. "Freestyle Conversation"  (3/5)
Snoops answer to people who claim hes soft without Dre's beat, the beat is nice, but can get annoying, Snoops flow is nice, he raps fast but very soft spoken as well, i dont mind this track

6. "When I Grow Up"  (skit)
Snoop basically preachin to the lil kids

7. "Snoop Bounce"  (4/5)
A funky beat, what would u expect when the beat is sampled from Zapps More Bounce to the Ounce?  I loved this track, but the repetitive samplin of this joint, makes this track lose a bit of its lustre

8. "Gold Rush" feat. Kurupt, Bad Azz  (4/5)
Dope song, great beat, amazing concept.  Snoop and the clicc
telling tales of the wild wild West.  Everybody comes dope on this track, especially Kurupt

The off rocker roller coaster/
On the 6 shooter holster, with DPG on every wanted poster/
Let me thank about which bank to gank/
Which fellow to shoot, which tella to shank/

9. "Me and My Doggz"  (4/5)
Snoop talkin about his doggz, not the homies, his actually pets, another funky beat, up tempo, trade mark Death Row sound

10. "You Thought"  feat. Soopafly & Too Short  (2.5/5)
Another customary pimp track, youve heard the lyrics before, but Short dogg and Soopafly spit some clever stuff, the problem is the beat.  It has that ol skool 1940's influence, i dunno, i aint feelin this beat

Continued next post
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Re: Snoop Doggy Dogg- Tha Doggfather (REVIEW)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2002, 05:23:36 AM »
11. "Vapors"  (3.5/5)
I wasnt feelin this track when i first heard it, but its grown on me, basically Snoop is talkin about his homies he grew up with, and how people used to fuck around wit em, but now they all beggin for their love, the song samples, I believe, a Biz Markie tune (?)

12. "Groupie"  feat. Tha Dogg Pound, Nate Dogg, Warren G
(4.5/5)
Daz kicks a SMOOTH as fuck beat for this track.  This is basically "Aint no Fun" part 2, and just like the former song, Nate steals the show

Someones at my door/ (baby who could it be?)
Some one wants to score/ (and get laid by the D O double G)
Hey Girl whats ya name?/ (she wants to go a couple rounds wit me)
Nate Dogg is just the same/ (she kept yellin out Snoopy!)

13. "2001"  (4.5/5)
The beat, courtesy of Pooh, sounds similiar to "Smooth" off of the Dogg Food album. (also produced by DJ Pooh, coincidence? i think not) .  Its simply, but the track shines despite the simplicity of the beat.  All Snoop wants to do is make the whole crowd bounce yall!

14. "Syxx Minutes"  (3.5/5)
A slow, moody beat.  Very relaxing, Snoop spits very slow, soft, and quiet.  The entire song: beat, lyrics etc follows a common theme of smoothness.  A different atmosphere from the gangsta anthems you're accostomed to from Snoop

15. "Wake Up"  feat. Tray Deee  (5/5)
I absolutely cannot get over this track.  If Snoop and LT can routinely make a beat like this, they NEED to hit the studio more.  Very unique, but it doesnt lose it west coast identity.  Tray Deee really kills it on this track.  The chorus is funny too

eastside LBC/
is what i claim but my game is DPG/
and every hustla in my click got to get his grip/
and in my world a girl is considered a bitch/
is money all that makes ya move/
you aint doing what ya supposed to so you gotta prove/
something to the ones you love cuz u need to know/
if you aint doing it for ya self it dont matter tho/

16. "Snoops Upside Ya Head"  (4.5/5)
One of the three singles off the album.  A true gangsta track, the beat is bumpin, this is basically Snoops comeback track, bigging himself up, lettin em all know he aint done

17. "Blueberry"  feat. Tha Dogg Pound,LBC Crew,Ital Joe  (4.5/5)
An amazing track.  This is the most G'd up, soldiered down track of the album.  All of Snoops lil homies step up and blaze this track.  Prince Ital Joe shows me why I miss him, RIP

18. "Traffic Jam"  (skit)
DJ Eazzzzy Dick is back on the airwaves, funny as hell........

19. "Doggyland"  (4/5)
Samples an old Jackson 5 track, but this track is chillin.  A feel good story, Snoops leading us all to his wonderful paradise, where "niggaz dont kill one another".  Snoop needs to do shit like this again

20. "Downtown Assassins"  feat. Daz, Tray Deee   (3.5/5)
Scarface/Godfather influenced track.  Snoop and the click is the new age mafiaso,rappin about the life they lead.  That gangsta shit we all fiend for.

21. "Outro"
Snoop and Pac, in concert, one last time.

In conclusion, what should I say?  If I tell ya I think this is Snoops second best album, would yall believe me?  Basically, this is one of Snoops greatest works, destroyed by the critics, and the legacy of Doggystyle.  For all the younger folks in here, Doggystyle was so huge, that the hype for this album was crazy.  This project was killed before it was even given a chance.

So heres a toast, to an album that had everything we need in an album (beats, flow, lyrics, gansgta shit, concept, story telling etc) but was still not enough

8/10
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Big_Loco_FME

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2002, 08:06:32 AM »
I love this album, always have, fuck the haters. I agree with you that its Snoop's second best cd.

Man i remember back in late 96, i wanted that new snoop cd so damn bad. I got it first day it came out and just bumped it for about a month straight. i wasn't disappointed at all.

The only track i never really liked was Vapors. my favorites are Doggyland, Wake Up, Downtown Assassins, and Gold Rush.

man ima go put that cd on right now. good lookin out to the homie Techneezy!

Don Seer

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2002, 08:13:54 AM »
its a dope album.. i listened to it earlier so its fresh in my mind.

i'm trying to remember back to when it came out... I don't think I really 'got into it' that well.. its not as accessible as doggystyle.. which probably factors in why it didnt do well.
snoops credibility was rocked a bit over here when he performed 'snoops upside ya head' on top of the pops in a wack ass pair of dungaree's. plus the fact that we'd had a Snap track based around the same Gap Band song that was still fresh in peoples minds.

min0rity

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2002, 08:53:58 AM »
yo i agree with your review man......this is snoop's 2ND best album hands down....but peeps can't realize it cuz of the doggystyle hype....

groupie, snoop's upside your head, doggfather, blueberry, wake up, and downtown assassins is my fav

HBKid_Jr

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2002, 10:31:57 AM »
i know every1 thinks im a snoop hater.  It is a good solid album.  Tha only problem i really got wit it,  is that towards tha end it sought of drags on an gets hard to keep listening.  It loses your attention.

Doggystylin

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2002, 11:54:39 AM »
i agree with ya tech, maybe id change a couple of ratings, but overall i agree with you,i never hated on this album, always thought of it as snoops 2nd best

Smooth

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2002, 01:50:38 PM »
Nice review tech... i agree this is Snoops 2nd best album...I never understood the hate that some people give this album...
"Nigga what up now?. you act like a bitch, you bound to get fucked, you trick ass snitch!" - Snoop Dogg - "Buck Em"

"Stranded on death row for pumpin slug's in muthafucka's" - Kurupt - "Stranded on Death Row"

Here's a message to the youngsters today,standing by you can die - Nate Dogg - "One More Day"

Battle Record 1-0

Sikotic™

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2002, 02:02:46 PM »
I'd change the Downtown Assassins rating to a 5/5 but that's the only thing I disagree with you on.

I love this album too. This and Doggystyle are the only Snoop album I listen to on a regular basis.

Nice review Tech
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2002, 05:30:53 PM »
^agree with the downtown assassin comment^

by far his second best cd...shit was laced from beginning to end with only 3 or 4 songs that i don't listen to very much...oh yeah and gold rush is dope...i like the rage version of snoop bounce a lil better, but not much, they are both tight, peace.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2002, 02:44:41 PM »
This cd iz great and amazing :o :o :o :o :o :o

my fav traccks are Groupie,Up Jump Tha Boogie,Snoops upside Ya head

shlomid1

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • g-funk 4 ever!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2002, 11:16:54 PM »
the doggfather snoop 2nd best cd no doubt. i think that gold rush,vapros, groupie are a 3 classics songs. you tought is way better than 2.5/5 i give it a 4/5 8)
westside!!!!

PLANT

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2002, 08:53:47 AM »
thats a nice review there homie, good lookin out.
i think the song "downtown assasins" is classic...if snoop rapped the way he did on that song all the time he would be the GOAT hands down...damn, i wish he would get raw like that more often ;D

DJ_Jay_Deee

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2002, 11:14:07 PM »
This is snoop's second best album no doubt. Yeah u should of given downtown assasians 5, daz, tray deee and snoop all come tight.

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2002, 03:43:55 AM »
well...even if it is Snoops second best shit...there"s a huge clivage between his classic doggystyle and this half done piece,it proclaimed the beginin OF snoopz (soon revealed) one timeness.....my first BIG dissapointment...that was followed by even worst dissapointments....i wasnT feeling it AT ALL....and quite frankly i dont know what yall see in IT.
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?