Author Topic: E.1999 Eternal  (Read 5550 times)

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
E.1999 Eternal
« on: June 27, 2001, 02:16:01 PM »

In hip hop, it seems many come and go w/o actually bringing something to the table. But every now and then, something special and creative arrives and puts some shine on the pile. This can be said of the group Bone Thugs N Harmony, who's unique style has captivated the public since day 1 as shown by a loyal fanbase and multi-platinum status. Creepin On Ah Come Up put them [and the midwest] on the map, but it was their 1995 landmark classic, "E.1999 Eternal", that really made a huge impact. After the success of Creepin and the death of Eazy E, many thought Bone was long gone, or the their next album would be sub-par. The critics had to eat their words when E.1999 Eternal debuted #1 on all charts, selling over 7 million copies and would go on to revolutionize hip hop with a totally new sound. The album is very dark in nature, and is a phschotic concept album of the rough streets of Cleveland, Ohio....where Bone grew up. Its a tale of 5 young adults doing whatever it took to survive on the mean streets, as seen in tracks like Eternal, Land Of Tha Heartless, Shotz To Tha Double Glock, Mr. Billcollector, and such. The album also features the hip hop standard, the groundbreaking "Tha Crossroads", a brilliantly constructed tribute song, and song by which all tribute songs in hip hop are now measured. Though Bone's flow on this cd is great, the TRUE mastermind behind this amazing album was DJ Uneek, who put on some of the best production I have heard on a hip hop album. The production is dark but polished at the same time, and every track is a banger. The albums influence has yet to be measured. Even the album cover has a concept to it, and its well known now that Eazy E is in the window of the left hand building, looking down on Bone, as if saying "im gone, but im still with yall", hence the title Eternal. There is also a map and backwards message inside the booklet, which are in relation to eachother. If you decode the message and use the clues, you can follow the map and end up where you started. The result is another explanation behind the albums deep concept. If there is anything bad to say about this album, Bone wasnt at their lyrical peak yet. Though the songs tell a story about the streets, Bone's vocabulary was still small while they made this album. Today, they are much better lyrically, but none of their work of now even holds a candle to this album. Every song is a gem, so no need to hit the skip button at all. One of the top 5 albums ever, in my opinion. If you dont have it, where the fuck have you been?? Buy TWO copies of this album, and put one in a LOCKED safe in a secured location that only YOU know, preferably a vault. This album had commercial appeal, but unlike other albums, this album RETAINED its street credibility while still going multi platinum. I feel like im watching a movie when I listen to this album, a true ghetto cinema on wax. Now that I wrote the summary, here is a brief review of each track:

1. Da Introduction--One of the best intros ive ever heard. Shit is WICKED as fuck, and Bizzy, Krayzie, and Layzie drop 3 hot verses. Daaaaark. 5/5

2. E.1999--A bangin ass cut. Uneek put it down here, as in all the songs on this masterpiece album. The song has no chorus, and is just straight up raw. Has all 5 members. 5/5

3. Eternal--Very well orchestrated production, with Uneek using a flute then up the tempo when the song starts, at the beginning of Layzie's verse. Very sophisticated production. The song is smooth as hell, and Krayzie's verse is just laaaaaaaaid back. 5/5

4. Crept & We Came--This has kinda of a west coast sound to it, but its still got that dark midwest feel. Just a straight raw song about getting out of Cleveland. All 5 members are featured. 5/5

5. Down 71'--A gem, period. The organ at the beginning explodes into one of the most energetic songs on the album, and sound effects, including gun shots, are present throughout. The verses are a little longer, so only Bizzy, Layzie, and Kray just rap. 5/5

6. Mr. Billcollector--A slower, but still bangin song to get you out of Down 71'. Basically a song about those who tried to gank Bone for their drug money and their struggle to live. 5/5

7. Budsmokers Only--A weed song, of course. Great song, but not quite as strong as the first 6 songs, but still classic. 4.5/5

8. Tha Crossroads--One of the greatest songs EVER written. The beat is dark as hell, with soulful harmony and deep lyrics. The epitome of Bone's style [along with Dayz Of Our Livez]. This song helped the album sell an extra 2 million copies, and the single itself broke various records. Timeless. 5/5 easily

9. Me Killa--Just a skit [so no rating], to get you pumped up for.......

10. Land Of Tha Heartless--DARK, DARK song. Perhaps the darkest on the album. The beat is very eeire, and Krayzie, Layzie, and Bizzy drop some of their fastest verses ever. Just a RAW as fuck song about the streets. Gritty. Vintage Uneek. 5/5

11. No Shorts/No Losses--Nice piano loop. All 5 members are present. A great song, though perhaps not quite as strong as Land Of Tha Heartless. 4.5/5, but still classic, as every song on the album is.

12. 1st Of Tha Month--Another great hit from Bone. This is the only non-dark beat on the album, and the lyrics are meaningful, talking about the poverty stricken neighborhood they were raised in. Very up-tempo song, and despite its political importance, it is a great party song also. 5/5

13. Buddah Lovaz--Another weed song, but this is better than Budsmokers. Harmony at its zenith. This was almost an experimental song, almost one long chorus. 5/5

14. Die Die Die--A Krayzie/Bizzy duo. Darkass beat, with fast as hell raps by both members. There is an interlude from some movie [forgot which one], and it adds to the effect of the song. 4.5/5

15. Mr. Quija 2--A song to get you hyped for the next track. No rating

16. Mo Murda--The longest song on the album, at almost 6 minutes. Uneek drops one of his best beats EVER, and does it with such detail its really remarkable to listen to. It combines a heavy bassline with a deep piano loop, and switches tempo each verse. Uneek slows it down when Bizzy's verse comes on to put more emphasis on his voice. Its small things like this that made this album so great. Besides Tha Crossroads, this is the crown jewel of the album [even though every song on here is amazing]. 5/5

17. Shotz To Tha Double Glock--First song to feature Poetic Hustlaz and GYS. Daaaaaark as hell. Just a hardcore song, but a great one to end this masterpiece album. 5/5

10/10, 5/5, whatever.....Use whatever scale you want, so long as the rating is perfect.....UNTOUCHABLE album.
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

Smooth

Re: E.1999 Eternal
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2001, 02:21:57 PM »
good review hommie.... CLASSIC album no doubt

Peace
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
"Nigga what up now?. you act like a bitch, you bound to get fucked, you trick ass snitch!" - Snoop Dogg - "Buck Em"

"Stranded on death row for pumpin slug's in muthafucka's" - Kurupt - "Stranded on Death Row"

Here's a message to the youngsters today,standing by you can die - Nate Dogg - "One More Day"

Battle Record 1-0

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2001, 02:51:28 PM »
Thanx dawg. Gotta keep this at the top too so Bigjake can put the cover in the post.

Sikotic™

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2001, 09:06:56 PM »
Hell yeah amazing album. Damn near perfect. Can't be touched. 10/10
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2001, 09:21:12 PM »
nice review homie, although  i wasn't feelin 2 or 3 songs, i think it's a classic anything really that came out in the g-funk era ...that used the g-funk sounds (like this did) or didn't is classic or near classic to me, great time in the 90's to be a rap fan.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

DPGC2001

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2001, 01:17:16 PM »
yeah this album is straight heat...almost every song is a banger....

R-CEE

• 'G'
  • dirty south affiliate
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2001, 09:24:06 PM »
bone used to b my cup of tea,,,,,,but i think your wrong when you say the created that style of rap,,,,listen to early 3-6 mafia and skinny pimp tapes,,,,very similar,,,,killer klan kaze,,,plus many more,,,,,listen to what they say,,know who they r talkin about in most of thier songs? they jus made it first,,,,,,
dont make me pop a slug in this bitch
u fuckin with some dirty south affiliates

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2001, 09:28:30 PM »

bone used to b my cup of tea,,,,,,but i think your wrong when you say the created that style of rap,,,,listen to early 3-6 mafia and skinny pimp tapes,,,,very similar,,,,killer klan kaze,,,plus many more,,,,,listen to what they say,,know who they r talkin about in most of thier songs? they jus made it first,,,,,,

Ive seen this debate many times, but personally, I dont think Bone and 3-6 Mafia sound anything alike at all. And no 3-6 Mafia album can touch E.1999 Eternal.

R-CEE

• 'G'
  • dirty south affiliate
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2001, 09:38:08 PM »
i wont comment about your opinion,,,,but bone when i play some 3-6 or something,,people go,,is that bone,,,,even bone themselves say the maf sound like them,,,thats what the early shit was about,,,there r songs on bones first ,,faces of death,,where they diss 3-6,,,,i dont think they sound alike because ive listened to them all so much i just know,,,,and the new stuff from both groups cant b compared,,,,,its ther style that is similar(early)
plus bone is a group of sissies,,i know,,,but i do like some of their music,,,but they get no love

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2001, 09:50:53 PM »
Bone gets no love?? Maybe from you they dont. But from several million other fans they do.

R-CEE

• 'G'
  • dirty south affiliate
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2001, 10:00:36 PM »
well i dont care about several million fans,,,i have seen several thousand concert goers mad at bone and chase them out of the dome,,,,,dont get upset,,,good night,,,i still listen to some of their shit,,,but i say fuck em on the net,,,,or fuck em wherever,,,,,,like you could say if you want fuck r-cee because he said something about me,,,but i havent,,,but anyway if someone says something about you it would make you upset,,,they r talented ,,and nothing i can say can take away from that,,,,good night,,,,do you have faces of death?

Sikotic™

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2001, 01:27:46 PM »
WTF!?!?!?!?!?

I never thought 3-6 and Bone sound the same. Maybe slightly in flow but thats it. Plus Bone is way better than 3-6. As a matter of fact I can't stand 3-6. They have always been wack in my opinion. And they get much love and respect from people, just not you. Simple as dat.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

R-CEE

• 'G'
  • dirty south affiliate
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2001, 10:43:47 AM »
nah alot of people hate them,,,,,i do respect them as artists,,,,but i got a bone to pick with some thuggish ruggish bustas >:(

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2001, 01:43:33 PM »

nah alot of people hate them,,,,,i do respect them as artists,,,,but i got a bone to pick with some thuggish ruggish bustas >:(

Alot of people like them too, since they've sold over 30 million albums.

Siberian_Wolf

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FREE OL DIRTY!!!
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2001, 09:14:32 PM »
I just wanted to tell that R-CEE that if any of Bone Thugs is a sissie, then what the fuck is any-fuckin-one of us? Girlz? I mean, them Bones had times when they had no home. And they managed to hit the top. Can anyone of you R-Cees, B-Gees, L-Bees etc. do that shit? kiss the stars after falling in a gutter? Huh?
I be one of those tall skinny cats with the four-nine
Three-eleven that rips through Power-U's and breaks spines
I culture power-tuggin' boys who be drunk, buggin'
Lovin' loud noise from toys, club thuggin'
Sweet chocolate deluxe, rugged, sexy buttercup
That don't give a fuck about the cop in the club
RZA in DO U