Author Topic: 2Pacalypse Now  (Read 384 times)

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
2Pacalypse Now
« on: May 11, 2002, 10:43:56 PM »
Im gonna review this album, cuz it seems to get NO recognition, even from 2Pac fans. EXTREMELY underrated album. People are always talking about Me Against The World, All Eyez On Me, and Makaveli, which are his three best albums, but people act like that those are his only good albums. Wake up people!! Pac made plenty of classic songs before his MATW/Death Row days. Anyway, here is the review, summary followed by song ratings:

In 1991, the hip hop nation would get its first taste of the poet who would go on to impact the culture more so than any other MC ever. Pac's debut, 2Pacalypse Now, was only made when he was 20 years of age, but he was already the articulate poet he would become known for. His work is somewhat more political, but equally strong in many respects as his later work. The album starts off with "Young Black Male", a faced paced, track about yes, you guessed it, the life of a young black male. Pac's lyrics are very street and he raps fast [almost Bone like at some moments]. Then it goes into what is now one considered one of his best songs ever, "Trapped". This is classic 2Pac. Very insightful, meaningful lyrics about the injustice that goes on in every inner city. The production is nice too, very bassy but smooth at the same time. "Words Of Wisdom" is a very articulate, politically aware song, and a 2Pac classic. Souljaz Story and Violent are two great, classic story-telling 2Pac tracks, but the absolute gem of the album is "Brendas Got A Baby". This song sends chills down my spine even to this day. Very rarely has an artist painted such a touching and vivid picture with words as Pac did here. This easily ranks as one of his greatest songs ever, and one of the greatest songs ever period. "If My Homie Calls" is kinda like a friendship type song, and is one of the better songs on the album, with a nice little piano loop. The last song, "Part Time Mutha" is another Pac classic. Very deep lyrics about a woman he has a one night stand with who ends up getting pregnant. The female rapper also drops a superb verse. Of course, the album has some weaknesses too though. "Crooked Ass Nigga" is a average song, and the "Lunatic" is rather weak. "I Dont Give A Fuck" is a good song but the production is severely dated. "Rebel Of The Underground" and "Something Wicked" are listenable but nothing spectacular. Overall, this isnt quite as strong as MATW or AEOM, but its still a very underrated album, and no 2Pac collection is complete without this powerful album.

1. Young Black Male--4/5
2. Trapped--5/5
3. Souljaz Story--5/5
4. I Dont Give A Fuck--3.5/5
5. Violent--5/5
6. Words Of Wisdom--5/5
7. Something Wicked--3/5
8. Crooked Ass Nigga--3/5
9. If My Homie Calls--4/5
10. Brendas Got A Baby--6/5
11. Tha Lunatic--3.5/5
12. Rebel Of The Underground--4/5
13. Part Time Mutha--5/5

Overall rating--4.25/5

VERY, VERY slept on album. Not as good as MATW, AEOM, or Makaveli......but better than Thug Life Vol.1, Strictly 4 My Niggaz, Still I Rise, or UTEOT.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

shlomid1

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • g-funk 4 ever!!!
Re: 2Pacalypse Now
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2002, 05:43:59 AM »
good review but you gived some overrated and underratad

rating to some songs, overrated tracks:violent, and soljaz story.
underrated tracks: i dont give a fuck(5/5), somthing wicked,and crooked ass nigga.
westside!!!!

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
Re: 2Pacalypse Now
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2002, 09:32:27 AM »
Violent is one of my fav 2Pac songs ever, so yea, I gave it a pretty high rating.......
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0