Author Topic: Royce Da 5'9'' - "Rock City"  (Read 498 times)

KVB

Royce Da 5'9'' - "Rock City"
« on: April 30, 2002, 10:13:40 PM »
I purchased this album yesterday... I heard the this album had been delayed for a long time, when I saw it on the store shelf I picked it up instantly... here is a review:

Royce Da 5'9'' - "Rock City"

1 - It's Tuesday (Intro)

Royce is just speaking/rapping calmly... kinda similar to Nas' intro on Stilmatic... over a good beat with some cool strings, it sounds good... 3.5/5

2 - Rock City f/ Eminem

I believe this was Royce's first single, and it's dope... Royce talks about his hometown, Eminem is on the chrous and on adlibs.. dope shit... 4.5/5

3 - Get'cha Paper f/ Tre' Little

Good lyrical display by Royce... however, D-Elite member Tre' Little unquestionably wins the prize for Gayest Hook of the Year...  but otherwise, this is a great song.... 4/5

4 - We Live (Danger)

I ain't feelin' this shit... Royce's lyrics are cool, but overall this song doesn't appeal to me at all.. average... 3/5

5 - You Can't Touch Me

Trackmaters produced, and even though I dislike Trackmasters, I actually like this beat... plus Royce spits some truly DOPE lyrics on here... disses the Source magazine lol... tight shit... one of the best on the album... 4.5/5

6 - Let's Go (f/ Twista)

Chicago MC Twista is uncredited on this one... but IMO, this is the worst song on this album.. the beat is terrible... honestly, this is straight up wack... 2/5

7 - D-Elite Part 1

Royce introduces the world to his "D-Elite" clique... decent track... this is really only an interlude though (1:38)... 3/5

8 - D-Elite Part 2 f/ D-Elite

Good beat provided by The Alchemist... and all D-Elite members get a shot on here... not everyone are as talented as Royce is though... really only an average track... 3/5

9 - She's The One f/ Tre' Little

Half-assed bullshit... and I don't need ANOTHER gay hook by Tre' Little... below-par material.... 2.5/5

10 - Boom

This is the definite highlight of the album...Royce flows with such unbelieveable charisma and energy over a DOPE Primo beat... (undoubtedly the best instrumental on the album), it's the best track on this LP, and it's gonna get.... 5/5

11 - What Would You Do

Some beautifully orchestrated strings on this track... also, I'm really feelin' Royce's flow/delivery on this one... ILL shit... 4.5/5

12 - Who Am I

Good beat, but Royce could have worked more on his lyrics on this track... average... 3/5

13 - Life f/ Amerie

I love this track... the beat is excellent, and the hook sung by Amerie is beautiful and touching, Royce reflects on life on this song, dedicated this his son... Royce just showcases his versatile MC skills here... 4.5/5

14 - My Friend (Bonus Track)

Produced by DJ Premier, my favorite producer. At first I wasn't feeling the beat, but it grew on me, and now I like this song... above average... 3.5/5

Conclusion
I got a disappointing feeling of an incomplete album after I had listened through this LP... Royce should really have worked more on it... but then again, these songs had been available on the Internet for a long time, and I guess Game just wanted to get the album out there in a rush... conclusion, above average album... 7/10

Peace
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Royce Da 5'9'' - "Rock City"
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2002, 10:49:02 AM »
if infinite is hitting this:

i got your cash and i buyed the cd 2day...

ima send it to you first thing tomorrow

KVB

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2002, 10:58:53 AM »
=- link=board=albumreview;num=1020240820;start=0#1 date=05/01/02 at 15:49:02]if infinite is hitting this:

i got your cash and i buyed the cd 2day...

ima send it to you first thing tomorrow

Did you listen to it ? If yes, did you like the album?
Holla, 1

Smooth

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2002, 11:01:10 AM »
Nice review KVB... i agree with what you said about the beat on the Twista track... WACK!...

Peace
"Nigga what up now?. you act like a bitch, you bound to get fucked, you trick ass snitch!" - Snoop Dogg - "Buck Em"

"Stranded on death row for pumpin slug's in muthafucka's" - Kurupt - "Stranded on Death Row"

Here's a message to the youngsters today,standing by you can die - Nate Dogg - "One More Day"

Battle Record 1-0

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2002, 02:12:18 AM »

Did you listen to it ? If yes, did you like the album?
Holla, 1

i havent even tuched the cd.. ima just send it as it is...

KVB

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2002, 11:10:10 AM »
*bump*

Replies would be greatly appreciated.

.:R-E-L:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • R-E-L...comin w/ that punk rap!  
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2002, 02:35:04 PM »
i aint got tha cd.....

but since u said "boom" was 5/5....ima download it and check it out and c wats up w/ it
Straight Outta Muthafuckin So. Kaliforn-i-a
909 805 310 323 213 818 661 949 714 609 415 619 562

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2002, 02:57:14 AM »
"2 - Rock City f/ Eminem

I believe this was Royce's first single, and it's dope... Royce talks about his hometown, Eminem is on the chrous and on adlibs.. dope shit... 4.5/5"

I thought "Boom" was the first single... ???

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

KVB

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2002, 06:04:49 AM »
>= link=board=albumreview;num=1020240820;start=0#7 date=05/05/02 at 07:57:14]"2 - Rock City f/ Eminem

I believe this was Royce's first single, and it's dope... Royce talks about his hometown, Eminem is on the chrous and on adlibs.. dope shit... 4.5/5"

I thought "Boom" was the first single... ???

Well, "Boom" was originally just a regular Game Recordings single. It was a massive success though, as it sold over 25.000 copies and got picked as the lead single on the soundtrack to the MTV film "Carmen". So the song was really "made for MTV" (take a look at the video, you'll see scenes from the movie)... therefore I'm pretty sure "Rock City" w/ Eminem was Royce's 1st single for this album, but by all means, correct me if I'm wrong.

~1~

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2002, 06:55:25 AM »

Well, "Boom" was originally just a regular Game Recordings single. It was a massive success though, as it sold over 25.000 copies and got picked as the lead single on the soundtrack to the MTV film "Carmen". So the song was really "made for MTV" (take a look at the video, you'll see scenes from the movie)... therefore I'm pretty sure "Rock City" w/ Eminem was Royce's 1st single for this album, but by all means, correct me if I'm wrong.

~1~

Well since it was released before "Rock City", even though it was released through a soundtrack it's still on the LP therefore it was the first single  ;D Oh, & wasn't "You Can't Touch Me" actually released as a single too, before "Rock City"?

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Rud

• Kingdingaling
  • Connected
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2002, 07:08:03 AM »
Come On Guys - Call Rud - The Royce Man  ;)

Boom As KVB Rightly Said Was A Recording Made On Game And Released To The Underground And It Was HUGE. A Massive Undergeround Hit

It Was Then Selected To Go On The Carmen Soundtrack And A Vid Was Made. The Song Being Slightly Different - A Female Sings The Chorus - This Is The Same Version As On Rock City - NOT The Underground Version (The Vid Is Wack As Fuck! - Sooo Cheap!) Lol

Then When Rock City Was Being Finished. Royce Filmed Both Vids For 'You Cant Touch Me' And 'Rock City' On The Same Day In Detroit.

'You Cant Touch Me' Was The First Single And Hit MTV/BET First (Lyrics :)

"First Singles About Me/  You Cant Touch Me
Seconds Single's About My City/  Rock City
The Third Is About My Son/  Life - I Assume...?
Three Things Thats Important To Me"

I Think However When The Single Didnt Do Much - They Decided To Release Rock City To Attract Eminem Fans To Royce. Im Not All To Sure That Worked Either In The U.S. Hence The Wait For The CD There.

peace

Westcoast News Network // www.dubcnn.com // Westcoast News Network

KVB

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2002, 07:12:51 AM »

Boom As KVB Rightly Said Was A Recording Made On Game And Released To The Underground And It Was HUGE. A Massive Undergeround Hit

It Was Then Selected To Go On The Carmen Soundtrack And A Vid Was Made. The Song Being Slightly Different - A Female Sings The Chorus - This Is The Same Version As On Rock City - NOT The Underground Version (The Vid Is Wack As Fuck! - Sooo Cheap!) Lol

Then When Rock City Was Being Finished. Royce Filmed Both Vids For 'You Cant Touch Me' And 'Rock City' On The Same Day In Detroit.

'You Cant Touch Me' Was The First Single And Hit MTV/BET First (Lyrics :)

"First Singles About Me/  You Cant Touch Me
Seconds Single's About My City/  Rock City
The Third Is About My Son/  Life - I Assume...?
Three Things Thats Important To Me"

I Think However When The Single Didnt Do Much - They Decided To Release Rock City To Attract Eminem Fans To Royce. Im Not All To Sure That Worked Either In The U.S. Hence The Wait For The CD There.

peace

My bad... "You Can't Touch Me" was 1st single... glad that's cleared up, props to Rud, peace

Rud

• Kingdingaling
  • Connected
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2002, 07:22:03 AM »
;)

BTW - Good Review - Only Thing I Disagreed On Was :

12 - Who Am I

Good beat, but Royce could have worked more on his lyrics on this track... average... 3/5

I Liked Some Of The Changes In The Pac Beat (From Pain) And Royce Had A Few Good Lines On There - I Gave It 3.5-4/5

But Otherwise Dope Review -  ;D

peace

Westcoast News Network // www.dubcnn.com // Westcoast News Network

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2002, 07:23:12 AM »

Lol, I was gonna. I knew "Rock City" wasn't the first single but wasn't sure which one was the official first single, & I then I remembered that "You Can't Touch Me" was released before "Rock City". But yeah, thanx for clearing it up Rud-min  ;D

KVB

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2002, 07:36:22 AM »
;)

BTW - Good Review - Only Thing I Disagreed On Was :

12 - Who Am I

I Liked Some Of The Changes In The Pac Beat (From Pain) And Royce Had A Few Good Lines On There - I Gave It 3.5-4/5

But Otherwise Dope Review -  ;D

peace

I don't know if you're serious... it wasn't a dope review, I didn't feel like going in depth... I would call the review "decent", anyway thanks for the feedback, and I know about the different "Boom" versions.. Primo uses a Guru voice sample in the OG, which is replaced by a female voice on the Carmen/Rock City album versions... good lookin' out ;)