Author Topic: Pain is Love - Ja Rule  (Read 855 times)

WoodWax

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Pain is Love - Ja Rule
« on: February 09, 2002, 02:16:46 AM »
I know alot of people on here don't like Ja Rule much, but I think he deserves some credit for his latest album which has cannonballed his public status. He is now one of the most popular hip hop artists in the world...
What did I make of Pain Is Love?

1. Skit
Just a short skit, ambulance sounds in the background and Ja Rule claims he is crying everyones tears. Too short and pointless to rate

2. Dial M for Murder
A great opening song, a devilish tune accompanied by some pretty decent lyrics and a catchy chorus.
4/5

3. Livin It Up
Best song on the album, it may be boppy and the lyrics have been watered down from the original release to cater to a larger age group, but its still a classic song.
5/5

4. The Inc.
Solid track, a little downbeat but Ja Rule varies his voice a little bit in this one, which is a refreshing change from his coarse monotone. Not a bad chrous, a little repetetive though
3/5

5. Always On Time
Very good track, a little bit poppy once again but it is what Ja Rule does best. Catchy chrous and a good beat but lyrically this song has left my mind stranded
4/5

6. Down Ass Bitch
Very sluggish beat but I think lyrically this one offers a little more than the others in terms of coherency. I liked this song, but it's nothing special
3.5/5

7. Never Again
A personal favourite of mine, unlike most of the stuff on this album, the lyrics do appear to have an underlying meaning and I like the dramatic nature of the chorus.
4.5/5

8. Worldwide Gangsta
Utter, utter garbage. Has to be one of the worst songs I have ever heard, and that is saying something. It is god awful, pissweak in every way especially the fact that Ja Rule hardly has a part in it
0/5

9. Skit
I don't usually rate skits, but I will say that this one was pointless and annoying, especially following garbage like Worldwide Gangsta

10. I'm Real feat J-Lo
This is another classic, along with Livin It Up it holds the album together. Fantastic beat, good input from J-Lo and some exceptional rapping.
5/5

11. Smokin' and Ridin'
A bit weak, slow beat, and uncharacteristically slow rapping from Ja Rule. Seems to be thrown in to make up the numbers, but not an awful track by any means
2.5/5

12. X
Much like the above, it is an average track but this one is alot boppier. At this point it appears as though all the good material has been used, and we're in for a rocky second half.
2.5/5

13. Skit
Fuh-get about it

14. Lost Little Girl
Didn't mind this track, I thought the beat was solid and the chorus fairly catchy. Ja Rule puts some pace on his rapping, but the robotic beat gets annoying after awhile, and it drags on too long at the end
3/5

15. So Much Pain
I understand this is a quasi tribute to 2pac, who would've wanted a little bit more from this song. Infact I'd go as far as to say its pretty poor, shame Ja Rule had to include this.
2/5

16. Pain Is Love
Quite an inappropriate feel to this song, as the opening skit had the opposite implications about the Pain Is Love theme to this album. Fairly average in any case
2.5/5

Overall
This album has a wide range of quality in its songs, you'll find classics and shockers on here but to be honest it's what is to be expected. It seems as though 3 or 4 really good songs are dragged down on a collective basis by some truly mediocre attempts at hiphop. The album overall is very boppy, so you must be able to appreciate this sort of hiphop to rate this album. The first half of the album is topclass, but the standard slips towards the end.
3.5/5
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
Re: Pain is Love - Ja Rule
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2002, 08:56:42 AM »

3. Livin It Up
Best song on the album, it may be boppy and the lyrics have been watered down from the original release to cater to a larger age group, but its still a classic song.
5/5

Pretty cool hook by Case........But tha Ja's verses simply SUCK.

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

KVB

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2002, 09:00:21 AM »
Props for the review... but Ja Rule is one of the pop-bitches i seriously could give a fucc about....

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2002, 12:27:50 PM »
Ja Rule came nice on Venni Vetti Vecci but after he just ain't catching my attention. He gets on my nerves now. I don't hate the guy like most people. I just don't like him. Props on the review though. "Livin' It Up" is a hot club track though. Whenever they play that shit in the club best believe you'll find me touching a hunnie's ass.

Jome

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2002, 12:56:15 PM »
Nice review, but Ja Rule have joined my club of rappers gone pop, and therefore I now consider this pop.
Almost as pop as Nelly, and that says much.

Siberian_Wolf

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FREE OL DIRTY!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2002, 01:11:01 AM »
wtf next time we gon have backstreet boys album reviewed or smth  ???
I be one of those tall skinny cats with the four-nine
Three-eleven that rips through Power-U's and breaks spines
I culture power-tuggin' boys who be drunk, buggin'
Lovin' loud noise from toys, club thuggin'
Sweet chocolate deluxe, rugged, sexy buttercup
That don't give a fuck about the cop in the club
RZA in DO U

BL7

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2002, 05:41:15 AM »
It's good that you gave his album a review. Even if I disagree with EVERYTHING you said about it, I'm sure some people wanted it reviewed. Personally, I think his album before ''Pain Is Love'' is better. And his first album blew both of 'em away. Too bad he sings more than he fuckin' raps now.

Youngster323

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2002, 07:53:21 AM »
nice popper review, but u called Living it up a classic? COME ON MAN, its a classic for all the 7 year old girls that be singing "to all the girls that be giving it up" dont call that a classic.

WoodWax

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2002, 06:38:21 PM »
Backstreet Boys?
Matter of fact I thought I was thinking about doing a review on the new NSync album, but if you're really keen on the Backstreet Boys I'm sure I could conjure something up for you ;)

Thanks to the rest of you, of whom most were appreciating of my work (it did take time!), and were glad to see the review on here, even though it doesn't really constitute as west coast rap...Well we all know its far from it, but while Ja Rule does have an element of pop to him, I don't think it is fair to compare him to someone like the Backstreet Boys!

I avoided comparing this album to his previous two, for the simple fact that I haven't listened to either, although I can say that I have heard alot of what is on 3:36 and besides "Put it on me" it seemed to me, to be complete tosh.

Well anyway thankyou for your thoughts, and for my next review I'll probably be doing something a bit heavier  ;)

Regards,
Woodwax

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2002, 09:02:19 PM »
his first album is the only one i purchased and it was a strong 4 mic album, after that i really haven't cared much about him...and the murder inc. is a joke...props for reviewing this cd cause obviously i read it but i would've never gave livin it up a classic status...i'm real is a tight song though but not classic by any standards, peace.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

Dr.Dogg

• Lil Geezy
  • Waasuup,MAN!
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2002, 07:34:35 PM »
u know what,most of chinese love Ja very much,
and,i just say 3:36's i cry feat. lil mo is perfect,
and pain is love ,3.5/5
You should know your roles,and shut your mouth!

Smooth

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2002, 08:10:41 PM »
Props for the review... but Ja Rule is one of the pop-bitches i seriously could give a fucc about....

"Nigga what up now?. you act like a bitch, you bound to get fucked, you trick ass snitch!" - Snoop Dogg - "Buck Em"

"Stranded on death row for pumpin slug's in muthafucka's" - Kurupt - "Stranded on Death Row"

Here's a message to the youngsters today,standing by you can die - Nate Dogg - "One More Day"

Battle Record 1-0

IKON

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Pharoahe - God's Gift to Vocabulary BIOTCH!!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2002, 04:59:11 PM »
I have Ja's first album and it was straight heat. Raw and hardcore. I wish he would return to that style instead of this poppish style he has now.

>:( >:( >:(

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2002, 04:53:48 AM »
I don't agree with your rating of "So Much Pain", I actually think he did well with that song. I'm not a Ja fan & I was a bit iffy about him doing this song but I think he did good, & the thing they did with 'Pac where he comes in was pretty dope. 'Pac totally burns him ofcourse  ;D but it was still a good try. I'd prolly rate it a 4/5.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.