Author Topic: Religion: Why is it Needed?  (Read 251 times)

Entreri117

• Master Chief
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Religion: Why is it Needed?
« on: May 19, 2004, 12:30:21 PM »
This is NOT a thread denouncing god, praising atheism, disproving god, or any other thing like that.

I simply wanted an answer to a question from people who are religous.  Why is religion necessary?  Why is god necessary?  Why do you believe what you believe?

PS: I have a feeling this will turn into science vs god thread, but please know I have no intention of that whatsoever.  I simply wanted religious people to answer my questions.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 12:30:58 PM by Xearo »

Montana00

Re:Religion: Why is it Needed?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 12:59:58 PM »
I have a feeling this thread is going to go nowhere fast.

Some people believe there is a God others believe that were here for no purpose. simple as that. its just about your faith and what you believe.

infinite59

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 02:53:07 PM »
The Noble Qu'ran states

"You have not believed until you are inclined to carry out what has been revealed."

Every prophet (Noah, Moses, Abraham, Jesus, Muhammad, pbta, etc., etc., etc.) starting with the first prophet, Adam, has revealed that there is nothing worthy of worship but God, that God is 1, and to do good deeds.  We must be inclined to carry out that revelation if we wish to be among those who believe and submit to the will of God.  

The Noble Qu'ran states

"And look at the moon how it is submitted and follows it's ordained course."

The sun, the moon, the angels, the tree's, the grass are all in submission to Allah and they do not deviate from their perscribed course.  Man too, can submit his whole life to the will of God as the prophets have taught us to do.  The last Prophet, Muhammad ibn Abdullah (salla alayhi wa salaam) completed the revealed messages and taught us how to surrender every aspect of our lives to Allah.

Again, as the Qu'ran states...

"You have not believed until you are inclined to carry out what has been revealed."

-Religion is nessacary if you want to learn and to know how to remain in a permanent state of submission to the will of the Creator.  God is in no need of us, but we are in great need of his mercy.

-God is nessacary for without God nothing would be here, he is the first and the last, he is the creator of all things, the Arabic word for God is Allah.

-I believe in Islam because Islam is the natural way of life of man, and it is not associated with any person, place, or thing.  It is natural, it is truth, and living in submission to Allah is the best and most rewarding thing that one can do.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 02:57:18 PM by Hajj Ibrahim Islam »

Don Seer

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 03:08:03 PM »

its there to keep people in line

Montana00

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 03:26:39 PM »
O great now im gonna read a bunch of quotes from the koran. Dont get me wrong i respect peoples decisions of religion. The koran teaches hate

(9.123) O you who believe! fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you,

(9.29) Fight those who do not believe in Allah,

(9.14) Fight them, Allah will punish them by your hands and bring them to disgrace, and assist you against them and heal the hearts of a believing people.

I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them.
(8.39) And fight with them until there is no more persecution and religion should be only for Allah;

Not to mention the Koran repeatedly contridicts itself. ill show examples if youd like.

please if you would like to explain what ive posted please do id like to hear an explanation. Although i dont know how "fight them, allah will punish nonbelievers through you" could be misinterpreted.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 03:28:13 PM by rampant »

Entreri117

• Master Chief
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 03:32:24 PM »
I had a feeling this would turn into religion vs religion... :(

For someone who religion does not weigh strongly at all in their life, like me, how is it important in every day life?  I haven't been to church in years, and it really hasn't affected me at all.

Montana00

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 03:39:12 PM »
Its not really religion vs religion

im not comparing it with another religion. lol that would get ugly

Entreri117

• Master Chief
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 03:40:36 PM »
Its not really religion vs religion

im not comparing it with another religion. lol that would get ugly

It always does.

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 04:19:47 PM »
Religion *ISNT needed.  It simply IS, because it exists.  Just like you.  We don't need you, but yet you're still here.  

Now; that's not a comment on whether or not you SHOULD be here... it's just a plain fact.  You are.  So does it really matter if you should be here, or not?  No, because either way, you're already here, no neccessity is evident.  

The same with religion.  It exists.  It doesn't matter if we need it or not, it's here.  

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 04:27:34 PM »

+to control, repress, exploit, fool them

read Karl Marx and Nietzsche.. they on point:

Is man one of God's blunders or is God one of man's blunders?

I call Christianity the one great curse, the one great intrinsic depravity, the one great instinct for revenge for which no expedient is sufficiently poisonous, secret, subterranean, petty -- I call it the one mortal blemish of mankind.

the same people wrote the bible that thought the world was flat.

"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich."

« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 05:43:22 PM by 7even the Harbinger »
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 07:39:56 PM »
yo man, short history of my life:

after growing up with no religion, it really became a part of my life when i moved away to college. i had nowhere to turn, and i was alone and scared. i turned to religion and it gave me strength and confidence. it gave me a purpose for life. it gave me a feeling that i was finally doing something. it gave me a feeling that i was an incredibly righteous human being. it gave me security, and it gave me a meaning to life.

but about 2 years into it, with much solitary thought and study, i found that no matter how hard i wanted to or how hard i tried, i couldn't believe. it just didn't make sense to me anymore. i found that all religious people seem to live the exact same as non-religious people, they just take different action. but they still drive cars, polluting the environment; they still buy houses, cutting down trees and releasing harmful gasses into the air; they still eat fake processed food; they still talk like everyone else (except for their complex set of culturally relevant words and phrases); they still contribute to capitalism (just go to any religious books store and attempt to justify the things they are capitalizing on)they still create division between the human race by dividing us into 'saved' or 'converted' as opposed to 'not saved' or 'still living in sin' etc.; they still believe in something that is not tangible; they cook, clean, eat, sleep, and live almost the exact same way as everybody else.

don't think that i'm trying to sound justified. i know i do shit that fucks up the environment, and add to division, and add to capitalism. the only difference is that now, i don't know what to believe. i don't claim any belief in anything really. i've noticed that most people that are incredibly sure of something, they don't really see the big picture. i feel like if you see the big picture, you don't have to push your views on anybody else and you don't have to voice your opinion if you're securely sure about it.

i'm not knocking religious people, i'm knocking people that feel they know what's best for everybody else. don't nobody know what kind of person i am, how the fuck are they going to tell me what i need in my life?

trauma said that it just 'is'. it's true. it just 'is'. it sucks because over our human history, we're still doing the same shit as we were when we first started with religion. we're still killing each other to get our point across. we're still acting like we haven't learned shit.....and it just 'is.' human nature, it looks like, (sadly), is never going to change.

now, to answer the main question:
to me, at one point in my life, religion was something i needed to feel secure and sure in something when i was scared in my life. it did a lot for me, and i don't regret a minute of it. i feel like i learned a lot and broadened my horizons to see (what i believe to be) the big picture. plus, not many people have tried to give themselves completely to something. and i did when i was religious. but i look at it as a learning experience and i'm glad i went through with it until the (sad and harsh) end.

if you've read this far, holla at me on AIM: JTPLATNUM1

JTSimon

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2004, 08:05:12 PM »
Screw religion.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2004, 09:18:10 PM »

+to control, repress, exploit, fool them

read Karl Marx and Nietzsche.. they on point:

Is man one of God's blunders or is God one of man's blunders?

I call Christianity the one great curse, the one great intrinsic depravity, the one great instinct for revenge for which no expedient is sufficiently poisonous, secret, subterranean, petty -- I call it the one mortal blemish of mankind.

the same people wrote the bible that thought the world was flat.

"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich."

yep... also religion is there, becasue humans cant accept no god, (not saying there is or isnt), but they just cant accept it if its not there. If humans knew, AS A FACT, (hypotheticaly), that there was no god, heaven hell, no afterlife, when u die u die, theyt wouldnt be able to take it, the human race accomidates death with living happily ever after with god in heaven for eternity... :-\....

infinite59

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2004, 04:27:26 PM »

please if you would like to explain what ive posted please do id like to hear an explanation. Although i dont know how "fight them, allah will punish nonbelievers through you" could be misinterpreted.

Those verses you quoted were taken totally out of context.  You have to read the verses immediately before and immediately after to put it in perspective.  Not only that, but you have to understand that many times the Qu'ran is reffering to specific event and a specific people.  Why didn't you quote the verses that say, "And if they fight you not in the path of Allah, then establish peaceful relationships with them".  There are many verses indicating that Muslims are only aloud to fight if it is against oppression and tyranny, they are not aloud to fight someone just because they are not Muslim, the Qu'ran states, "There is no compulsion in religion."

You should read the whole Qu'ran instead of just pulling a few verses out of context that you found on an anti-Islamic website.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2004, 07:06:47 PM »

Those verses you quoted were taken totally out of context.  You have to read the verses immediately before and immediately after to put it in perspective.  Not only that, but you have to understand that many times the Qu'ran is reffering to specific event and a specific people.  Why didn't you quote the verses that say, "And if they fight you not in the path of Allah, then establish peaceful relationships with them".  There are many verses indicating that Muslims are only aloud to fight if it is against oppression and tyranny, they are not aloud to fight someone just because they are not Muslim, the Qu'ran states, "There is no compulsion in religion."

You should read the whole Qu'ran instead of just pulling a few verses out of context that you found on an anti-Islamic website.

Said it before I could. People need to understand that parts of the Qu'ran were revealed while Mohammed (PBUH) was at war with the Pagans.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris