Author Topic: Michigan: Small Town To Allow Muslim Call To Pray Over Loud Speakers  (Read 199 times)

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
What the hell is happening to my country? Could you imagine listening to these idiots yelling in that God foresaken language over loudspeakers five times a day, at 6 in the morning and 10 at night no less? Hopefully true patriotic Americans will rise up and do something about this.

For Whom the Bullhorn Tolls

By Val MacQueen
FrontPageMagazine.com | May 19, 2004

Hamtramck, Michigan, a 23,000 strong community known for Polish food, strong Catholic values and the energizing strains of the polka will soon be moving to the strains of a new song- Islam. That is, unless residents defeat the town council’s permission for the Bangladeshi al-Islah mosque to broadcast calls to prayer five times a day.

Each call to prayer lasts around two minutes – so for 10 minutes a day all residents of this small mid-west town will be forcibly exposed to Islam in the name of multiculturalism. The first call will go out at 6 a.m. and the last one at 10 p.m. The mosque says these hours of curtailment do not necessarily fit in with the Islamic schedule, but the Imam is generously prepared to compromise.

Many Hamtramck residents are angry that the Muslims have permission to wail “Allah is most great. I bear witness that there is no god except Allah” into a loudspeaker five times a day.

“They can believe whatever they want to, but I’m against them pushing their content into my head like brainwashing,” said Joanne Golen, 68, a lifelong Hamtramck resident. Though the calls to worship are in Arabic, Golen said she’s offended by words that praise Allah. “He’s not my true god,” she said.

Masud Khan, secretary of the al-Islah mosque, said the purpose of the call is not to proselytize.

“We are not inviting non-Muslims”, he said. “We are calling our Muslim people, reminding them they are obligated to come to pray.”

Some Muslims who are promoting the loud-speakered calls to prayer make a comparison with church bells, which they say are equally disturbing.

But the use of bells to toll away the hours can be traced back to agrarian times. The ringing of the bells signified when workers in the field could put down their tools and eat lunch and when it was time to go home. Church bells became a familiar guide to time in Europe before the Dark Ages. It is only within the last 100 years or so that watches and clocks became commonplace.

The Muslim apologists, however, don’t see the significance of the historical use of bells to tell time. They have taken to multiculti platitudes like a platypus to water, and are out in force to support the call to prayer. Imad Hamad, regional director of the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee, based in Dearborn, chimed in with a lesson in tolerance for the Christians.

“Hamtramck should live up to freedom of religion and religious expression, and celebrate our rich diversity and tolerance,” he opined.

According to CBS, the Michigan chapter of the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee urged tolerance of the issue, loftily condemning the “resentment and negativity” expressed by local residents.

CBS also reported City Council member Shahab Ahmed, who is Bangladeshi and attends al-Islah, said he was surprised the call to prayer turned into a big issue. But he noted that he had previously experienced anti-Muslim sentiment in Hamtramck- particularly during his 2001 council bid following the Sept. 11 attacks.

Multiculti City Council president Karen Majewski was confident the council would unanimously approve the amendment allowing the call to prayer, and she was right. But as far as many residents of Hamtramck are concerned, that just means the Muslims won the first round. According to Click on Detroit, some claim it amounts to state sponsorship of a religion and it lifts Islam above all other religions in Hamtramck. Many say it violates their rights and challenges the nation's largely Judeo-Christian identity.

Wayne County News reports a petition drive is underway to get amendment disallowed.

Organizers say they are certain they’ll get the required 552 signatures to reverse the decision by the May 26 deadline.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
MUSLIMS TAKING OVER AMERICA!!!!!!!  

::)

for sure annoying, but not more annoying than americans when they say "god bless america" or some other cynical shit.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Montana00

MUSLIMS TAKING OVER AMERICA!!!!!!!  

::)

for sure annoying, but not more annoying than americans when they say "god bless america" or some other cynical shit.

god your such a fucking moron. How many times a day do we broadcast god bless america on a loud speaker that everyone in a whole city can hear?

those fucking muslims ruin their countries and they come over to our country and now there going to ruin our country by converting all of america to the middle east.

soon more and more cities are going to have these fucking calls. NOT EVERYONE IN AMERICA IS MULSIM!!! WE DONT WANNA HEAR YOUR FUCKING VOICE TELLING PEOPLE TO PRAY. I swear i better never hear this fucking thing in my city, niether do any of the other americans.

sorry if i sound mad but come on muslims get treated so different in this country. The guy had the ten commandments statue in a courthouse and he was fired from his position and the ten commandments were removed from the courthouse.

But the muslims can broadcast an islamic man singing across a loudspeaker that reaches a whole fucking city and this is deemed "ok"

theres freedom of religion as long as it doesnt bother other citizens
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 05:31:52 PM by rampant »

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Quit whining.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Montana00

Quit whining.

im assuming your muslim. with that said

im sure you would be whining like a little baby if it was ruled ok for christians to play worship music over a loud speaker that could be heard all over your city.

not to mention it would play all day long. suddenly its not such a good thing.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 07:14:20 PM by rampant »

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Quit whining.

im assuming your muslim. with that said

im sure you would be whining like a little baby if it was ruled ok for christians to play worship music over a loud speaker that could be heard all over your city.

not to mention it would play all day long. suddenly its not such a good thing.

I live in a town with 10 + churches which have bells ringing all day, go figure. It annoys me a bit, but oh well. I don't whine, last time I looked I had a penis and am therefore not a woman.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Trauma-san

If the people near me did this, I'd just set up speakers and sing "How Great Thou Art" all day.  

Woodrow

I live in a town with 10 + churches which have bells ringing all day, go figure. It annoys me a bit, but oh well.
Church bells are 100% different than a Muslim call to prayer.

Montana00

i got a church by me that rings its bells.

and christian church bells btw dont ring 5 times a day. just in case you cant count i did it for you. church bells last like 30 seconds while a call to prayer can last 2 minute.

but these two things cant be compared.

Woodrow

and christian church bells btw dont ring 5 times a day. just in case you cant count i did it for you. church bells last like 30 seconds while a call to prayer can last 2 minute.

How old are you?

I've been trying to make sense of your posts, but I'm really having a hard time.

Anyways, I've got a couple of questions about this topic...

If the Christian 10 Commandments are banned from a Court House in Georgia why would the preaching of a religion be allowed to be brodcast across the city 5 times a day?

Where is the ACLU? They've been screaming their heads off about removing crosses from city seals, but they are silent on this issue.

Call me crazy, but if a city councilman is muslim, isn't this a conflict of interest?

Montana00

Re:Michigan: Small Town To Allow Muslim Call To Pray Over Loud Speakers
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 01:14:46 PM »

How old are you?

I've been trying to make sense of your posts, but I'm really having a hard time.

If the Christian 10 Commandments are banned from a Court House in Georgia why would the preaching of a religion be allowed to be brodcast across the city 5 times a day?

Where is the ACLU? They've been screaming their heads off about removing crosses from city seals, but they are silent on this issue.

Call me crazy, but if a city councilman is muslim, isn't this a conflict of interest?

cut me some slack i type extremely fast and sometimes i dont read what im typing.

i was just mentioning that yes church bells are aloud to ring, but the fact is there not as intrusive as this muslim call to prayer will be. im just saying these two things cant be compared.   ::)

VerbalGraffiti

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 01:25:57 PM »

How old are you?

Seperation between church & state.

Montana00

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2004, 01:37:35 PM »
Yea you proved our point.

Believe me guys this wont last (Thankfully)

not everyone in hamtramack is muslim so there going to court on this. If i lived there id bring this thing to court so quickly.

VerbalGraffiti

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2004, 01:42:02 PM »
Yea you proved our point.

Believe me guys this wont last (Thankfully)

not everyone in hamtramack is muslim so there going to court on this. If i lived there id bring this thing to court so quickly.

No, I didn't prove your point.
The 10 Commandments were banned from a COURT HOUSE.
The crosses were on CITY SEALS.
The call to prayer has no relation to the "state" as in the other 2 situations explained.

VerbalGraffiti

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2004, 01:45:12 PM »

A similar conflict of interest as let's say, an evangelic, born-again Christian bigot who happens to be the president and claims that God told him to spread democracy, God told him to attack al-Qaeda, God told him to attack Saddam, etc. Yeah, conflict of interest is just the tip of the iceberg.