Author Topic: Bill Cosby says poor blacks cant speak english  (Read 653 times)

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
Re:Bill Cosby says poor blacks cant speak english
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2004, 12:32:16 PM »
So when Hicks talk in their own way, it's a VARIATION of English. But when urban blacks use slang, it's NOT English and they need hooked on phonics.

Fuc a Bill Cosby, He ain't never been to the corner of nowhere....why would he use the whole "they stand by the corner....." term? he's stereotyping because he dunno nothing bout urban life.....

See, I ain't even tryin 2 defend blacks, I just see the truth....and truth is, if U go to the hood, MANY latino cats have poor grammar, MANY middle eastern cats have shitty accent that no one can understand, MANY white people have krayzie hick accent that no one gets, how bout them Asians? Indians? don't get me started....and I'm talkin bout people that have grown up in U.S. I see it all the time....

It's not about the black man, it's about the education they offer to the LOWER class, the WORKING class....ofcourse people even in those classes can learn proper grammar, but unless ure in their shoes, U won't understand the circumstances, so keep yur bullshit comments to yourselves....

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

Woodrow

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2004, 02:31:01 PM »
It's funny to watch all these so called "Liberals" get angry about what Bill Cosby said. You claim to be accepting and tolerant of others opinions, but when somebody says something you don’t agree with, the truth comes out and you bash him.

Say what you want about him, but he worked his way up through life from a lower class starting point to get where he is today. He's broken down many more doors for African Americans than you guys may know...

"William H. Cosby Jr. was born on July 12th, 1937 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and for over thirty years has been one of the world's most respected and well-known entertainers and comedians. After tenth grade, Cosby joined the Navy and completed high school through a correspondence course. He later took up an athletics scholarship at Temple, supporting himself during his studies by tending bar, where his easy going style and witty joking with the clientele prompted suggestions that he try stand-up comedy.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 02:40:00 PM by Krayze-Eyez Killah »

Trauma-san

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2004, 02:35:36 PM »
^ Nice try Rod.

again, because maybe it's hard to believe... I'm poor.  I grew up poor, I've always been poor, everybody I've ever known is poor, everyone in my family is poor... and we're educated.  Do you know why we're educated?

IT'S FUCKING FREE! You just go to school, and learn.  If someone isn't learning at school, it's their fuckin' parents fault.  

Plus, you're combining my comments, and Bill Cosby's comments! I didn't say I agree with him, learn to fucking READ.  People like you must be who the fuck he's talking about.

Anyways, there's a difference between urban slang and the other aspect of what we were talking about, in the GROWN-UPS conversation that you apparently didn't catch on to.  We were talking about what Cosby said about poor black families being more concerned about buying their kids Ecko jeans than they are in getting them a good education, and how that's typically a BLACK trait, not a white trait.  You can't argue that, because it's a fact.  
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 02:36:36 PM by SMiLE »

Trauma-san

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2004, 02:37:54 PM »
Say what you want about him, but he worked his way up through life from a lower class starting point to get where he is today. He's broken down many more doors for African Americans that you guys may know...

That's because Cosby (Like Martin Luther King) knows the difference between fact and fiction.  

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2004, 05:54:46 PM »
Cosby went to my old High school (i moved to suburbs, only went for 1 year), and he went to the college im going to..   :)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2004, 01:02:20 AM »
I can understand Bill Cospey's stands. I think in OUR OWN communities, we need to adress our problems, and we need to have discipline in our communities. I think the problem comes when others point out our problems. I could never talk about language problems in black communities, because that's not my concern, especially when my own community is speaking Spanglish, how can I talk about black language problems. Same with whites. They are quick to talk about how they can't understand blacks, but many whites are poor whites that have very bad grammer. In Minnesota, middle class whites speak worst english than many Chicanos in California. But on the real, that's not my issue. We can talk about our race, like we can talk about our own family. But when someone else talks about our family, a sister, a cousin, we get mad. That's the same with race, we can talk about our own race, but if others do, we get mad. I think that's ok, after all, many communities are racially divided, and we relate our race with the community we grew up in, and we can comment on it, because we grew up with it around us, but others that comment on it, don't have a right, because they don't the whole story behind the problem.

Azn_Bling

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2004, 08:40:03 PM »
Fuck Bill Cosby >:(
Heart full of pride
Head full of anger

Sikotic™

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2004, 05:37:53 PM »
Of course if a white guy said that it would be considered racist. If I made a stereotypical comment about Mexicans being lazy or Jews being cheap, it would be considered racist as well.

Doctor Huxtable has a point but I don't blame it on the parents. How come some people who are brought up in the projects and other places of poverty rise up to become productive and english speaking people in society?
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

sleepn2zero9

• Lil Geezy
  • I'm Dat Nigga Sleepy.An Elite G .Ya Obsolete B..
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2004, 05:37:01 AM »
Ok...
Bill Cosby is a dumbfuck that motherfucker thinks he's smart because he plays a doctor on tv.
Last time I checked Cosby does have a doctorate...

i use slang...drop my G'z and R'z at the end of words...but some of the shit people say is just fucking stupid... where you be at?...what tha fuck is that?...you have to go out of your way to say that kind of shit..half the time these kids do know how to properly state what they're sayin...but they don't..
I think that they are smarter than people give them credit for...

Shit..what tha fuck was Cosby on talkin about how blacks kill eachother over pound cakes... I understand that he is trying to express how we kill eachother over nothin..but shit...pound cakes nigga?...coulda said chicken....or ribz...and had a better affect...

alot of the time I think these kids overwhelm they're parents...esspecially in single parent situations.....the parents want to do something but tha child bullies and co-ersez tha parents to let them have they're own way...I'm sure all of these parents want their kids off tha streets...but they can't do much...

cosby needs to stop statin the problems of the black community and start giving solutions to the problems of the black community...I give him credit for trying to help by pointing out our flaws..but it's as if he's up there^ with the rich "whites" looking down on us poor little "Niggaz" shouting commands...this isnt a fucking plantation...

Don Seer

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2004, 05:53:36 AM »
I just realised two things about this.

ONE > this isn't news, it isnt a revelation.

TWO > its not just limited to black people. in general poor people l get a rough ride, from their raising to their education.

and a final thing..

THREE > some of ya'll are mentioning instances of things i feel may be the real crux of the problem and whats being said could be a misinterpretation of the real problem.

that 'real problem' being 'slang' people talk on ebonics 'gangsta' style or whatever to fit in, if its the culture then its a self perpetuating thing. like dude above me said.. some -can- speak real english, but don't because its not cool. the fact is that people imitate their surroundings to fit in.

I often find my vernacular slipping in every day life because of the influence of the way people write on this board, and because of influence of predominantly black rap music upon me.

DAYUM

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2004, 03:20:08 AM »
this is AG i had to drop my 2 cents...

first off Bill Cosby said
they spend 500 dollars on shoes and not on hooked on phonics

well i dont think he is talking about being poor,
i lived in the ghetto and yes many people to speak slang and majority of my family speaks spanish most black ppl in the ghetto spoke slang and most white ppl speak like hicks

but what i think he is talking about is

now i got to a better school where rich kids go and u know what i see i see wanna be blacks with there jordans and there jerseys comeing up to me saying "ayo nigga dogg holla atcha boi we gon party fa sho tonight holla" and there white and mexican kids who come from good familys trying to be gangsters and "ballas" because they want to be cool but really they look like asses i bet if i went to my old hood talked like that to my family ill get the shit knocked out of me. kids do it like seer said to fit in i think we should do what dave chappelle did get the white kids that try to act like there from the streets and put them in with sum real black gangstas and see how long they last... and not just white kids mexicans as well and as well as any other race

but no matter what u should be proud of where u came from and ur race because mexicans have came up to me called me a "nigga" and i told them they better not calll me that again or ill beat the shit out of them and they didnt...
the only time i use that word is when im high or playing around

just my 2 cents go ahead and ban me seer....

-signing out AG the tru nigga from da streetz who is fa sho wid it numsayin?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 03:23:29 AM by Gizzle fo Shizzle »

Trauma-san

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2004, 06:27:47 AM »
^ well, since Cosby specifically said BLACK kids, and you're specifically talking about WHITE and LATINO kids, .... I don't think that's what he's talking about at all; nope, think you missed the mark.  Goodbye.  

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2004, 08:34:27 AM »
Cosby is 100% right...My high school was 50% Black. The black dudes I hung around with had small part time jobs and all they would spend there money on were the hottest shoes out or jeans. They would literally sit there and have hour talks about what the hottest shoes out are and what rappers are wearing what in the videos.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2004, 02:55:27 PM »
I have to drop 2 cents in too. Who lives in South Central Los Angeles... my bad... South Los Angeles, Compton, and many other "ghetto" communities in the L.A. area... guess what, mainly Mexicans. Don't act like there isn't a grip of ghetto Latino youth. In New York they got Puerto Ricans. Now I have no clue where you are from, but if you stick anybody not "ghetto" in the ghetto, then they'll be scared shitless. I know of other black people that wouldn't go to the ghetto, and yet they act like they hood. People in the hood will punk you if your fake, no matter the race.

Also, as I said again, if we are talking language problems in race, we can only talk about our own. Whites need to get rid of that hick talk I hear when I'm in southern states, and in Minnesota, they need to learn how to pronounce words. It's not a ruff, it's a roof, they even misspell words here, like it's not Quick Trip, it's Kwik Trip, bad grammar is everywhere, amoung every race. I can't talk about any other race though, because look at Latinos, we have the worst English of all, because we don't even speak complete English, but Spanglish.

DAYUM

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2004, 03:15:02 PM »
^ well, since Cosby specifically said BLACK kids, and you're specifically talking about WHITE and LATINO kids, .... I don't think that's what he's talking about at all; nope, think you missed the mark.  Goodbye.  

everyone else is talking about other raceist acting like that even yourself so nope, think u missed the mark. Goobye