Author Topic: rap is going through it's "hair metal" phase  (Read 417 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re:rap is going through it's "hair metal" phase
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2004, 11:40:19 AM »
I'd say rock is going through another bullshit period. Hip hop falls into the rock category.

Starting in the mid 70s rock started losing touch with its roots,

Springsteen's Born to Run came out and seemed to put things back on track,

but then disco came out, and the bullshit started again,

punk tried to overthrow disco,

but then Michael Jackson and Lionel Ritchie came out and kept the bullshit in the forefront.

Springsteen returned with the mega Born In The USA (15x platinum), and Mellencamp followed suit. But that wasn't enough to stop the bullshit hair bands that became very popular around those times.

Then came the Gunz n Roses who stuck a long steele blade right threw Motley Cru and every one like them, sending them all to an early grave.

When Nirvana came out they put the final nail in the coffin of bad music, and good music came back into the forefront.

Sending all the Motleys, and Jacksons, and White Snakes back into the over polished hell they came from.

But wait , that didn't last long because the same year Cobain died so did the glory (not neccessarily because of Cobain's death).

Kurt died, Pearl Jam puposely left the spotlight, Sound Garden later broke up, and so did GnR.

Boyz 2 Men and Mariah started getting popular. Rap became more popular, but that was only due to the hoes and bitches bullshit.

Then came the Bling era, along with Backstreet boys, Britany, and N Synch.

Eminem followed soon after and, say what you will, brought a breath of fresh air into the pop world.

But Em isn't going to be music's saviour this time round, something will come out in the next couple years and start a new phase of quality, what that will be, who knows?

However during this whole time one music stayed alive and kicking just as good (or bad) as it ever was, Country.

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2004, 08:16:03 PM »
some people just need to chill on the "Rap is dead" shit because there still is alot of quality music coming out.

Trauma-san

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2004, 10:07:45 PM »
Didn't Metal bands die a slow fuckin' death? That's what I see rap doing, the level of shit coming out of the speakers anymore is amazing.  Rap is literally void of any talent, there's nobody doing anything creative, even the few talented rappers don't utilize it anymore, and the even fewer that do never get played commercially, rap is dead, has been for years, it sounds like shit.

Throw on a SHITTY song from 1993 or so and it sounds better than anything on the radio today.  They played a Ghetto Boys track earlier today, it was greater than the sum of everything they had played up to that point.  Throw on an old Tribe Called Quest song, there's nothing even remotely on it's level today.  Rap is dead, I feel sad for the kids that missed out or that are actually deluded into thinking that the shit they hear today is actual talent.  

Trauma-san

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2004, 10:17:14 PM »
However during this whole time one music stayed alive and kicking just as good (or bad) as it ever was, Country.

That's because the people that listen to country generally don't want creative or deep or lyrically complex songs, they just want something they can relate to, or something that speaks the truth about some subject, whether it's drinking beer, beating women, or your dog dying.  I have a lot of respect for Country Music, because out of all the music forms, in my opinion, it's the most real, nobody gives a shit if people don't like it, or if people think it's corny, or over simplistic, they just say what they feel, and it's as simple as that.  Typical country song, biggest hit of last year:

It's 5 o'clock somewhere
Alan Jackson & Jimmy Buffet

This Lunchbreak is Gonna take all afternoon
And half the night
Tommorow, I know they'll be hell to pay
Hey, but that's alright

I ain't had a day off now in over a year
My jamaican vacation's gonna start right here
If the phone's for me, you can tell 'em I just sailed away

Pour me something tall and strong
Make it a hurricane before I go insane
It's only half past 12, but I don't care
It's 5 o'clock somewhere

I could pay off my tab
Pour myself in a cab
and be back to work before 2
at a moment like this, I can't help but wonder
What would Jimmy Buffet do?

Buffet: I'd say, pour me something tall and strong
make it a hurricane before I go insane
It's only half past twelve, but I don't care
It's 5 o'clock somewhere
It's 5 o'clock somewhere

Who can't relate to that, that's what songwriting was meant to be, emotional, connected with people.  Not "I hate a bitch, fuck you bitch, I got money, Bling Bling I got a nice car and you don't, Fuck You, I'm stronger than you, Get more ass than you've ever seen, I make hits, I'm living with millions of dollars and you're listening wanting to be me, I'm gonna shoot you in the ass when I see you ooh lets do drugs together I do a lot of drugs and I'm high all the time but yet I'm still the best basketball player alive I've got a big dick and your woman wants me fuck you, did I mention I was going to try and shoot you in the ass?"

One day some rapper, some where, will learn.  
« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 10:19:12 PM by SMiLE »

ALKAHOLIK21

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2004, 11:23:22 PM »
Smile you sound like a very intellectual listener have you listened to blackalicious??? I'm sure you have.. Do you like them? tell me what you think of them... if you havent give them a try I really think you would like them. Let me know what you think

hear are some track's you should check out just in case you havent herd them

-As the world turn's
-If I may
-Deception (dont let money change you)
-Shallow day's
-make you feel that way
-40 oz for breakfast
-day one
-dream season's
-green light now begin
-4000 miles
-blazing arrow
-sky is falling
-a to g
-sleep
-rock the spot

smerlus

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2004, 11:49:44 PM »

That's because the people that listen to country generally don't want creative or deep or lyrically complex songs, they just want something they can relate to, or something that speaks the truth about some subject, whether it's drinking beer, beating women, or your dog dying.  I have a lot of respect for Country Music, because out of all the music forms, in my opinion, it's the most real, nobody gives a shit if people don't like it, or if people think it's corny, or over simplistic, they just say what they feel, and it's as simple as that.  Typical country song, biggest hit of last year:

It's 5 o'clock somewhere

And half the night
Hey, but that's alright

It's 5 o'clock somewhere

I could pay off my tab
Pour myself in a cab

It's 5 o'clock somewhere
It's 5 o'clock somewhere

Who can't relate to that, that's what songwriting was meant to be, emotional, connected with people.  Not "I hate a bitch, fuck you bitch, I got money, Bling Bling I got a nice car and you don't, Fuck You, I'm stronger than you, Get more ass than you've ever seen, I make hits, I'm living with millions of dollars and you're listening wanting to be me, I'm gonna shoot you in the ass when I see you ooh lets do drugs together I do a lot of drugs and I'm high all the time but yet I'm still the best basketball player alive I've got a big dick and your woman wants me fuck you, did I mention I was going to try and shoot you in the ass?"

that's all on point

i was talking to this girl the other day and some how we started talking about music, she said name a good song and the first thing that popped in my head was "Check Yourself by Ice cube"

she then told me my song was old and it was garbage so i asked her to name a good song and she said freak a leek...

i then insulted her as only i could

it's sad that somone would pick a lyrically weak, shallow garbage ass crunk song, over a decent old school song

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2004, 10:25:18 AM »

It's 5 o'clock somewhere

And half the night
Hey, but that's alright

It's 5 o'clock somewhere

I could pay off my tab
Pour myself in a cab

It's 5 o'clock somewhere
It's 5 o'clock somewhere

I totally agree with both your posts.

Rappers in general limit the longevity of their lyrics, because they fill it with so much current slang and events. The songs lack a universal appeal for the most part. I really can't think of any rapper performing into his 50s or 60s, except maybe Snoop, but only for comedic puposes.

West C. Connected

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2004, 11:50:22 AM »
LOL @ YOU PEOPLE DISSING CHICKS THAT DON'T LIKE SONGS WITH OLD BEATS AND BEING SURPRISED THEY LIKE THE PETEY PABLO SONG ;D ;D ;D

smerlus

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2004, 10:52:35 PM »
LOL @ YOU PEOPLE DISSING CHICKS THAT DON'T LIKE SONGS WITH OLD BEATS AND BEING SURPRISED THEY LIKE THE PETEY PABLO SONG ;D ;D ;D

yep, i have no problem putting a bitch in her place