Author Topic: Paris - Unleashed  (Read 1331 times)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Paris - Unleashed
« on: July 30, 2003, 08:15:01 AM »
ok i'm gonna be reviewing all 4 of Paris's albums in the coming weeks

Paris - Unleashed 1998

This was Paris 4th album, coming 4 years after the incredible Guerilla Funk. IMO his first 3 albums are classics but this one definetly is not. He introduces 2 artists on here, Jet & Nuttso both who i feel are wack. The album features Paris trying out a "Gangsta" style. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. He also has some personal songs on here. I'll get into track-by-track rating:

1. Mob On feat Spice 1 - Decent song, nice beat with Paris laying down 2 pretty good verses which are good for introducing the album, Spice comes with a tight verse as well. 3.5/5
2.Blast First - first single, very average just your average Gangsta song, nothin special but nothin horrible. 3/5
3.Record Label Murder - finally a political song, good track which features Paris bashing record labels & artists getting fucked in the business way. However, something feels missing, could have been executed a bit better but still dope as hell 4/5
4.Fair Weather Friends - Very good & personal song, its about friends who come & go with the weather, using you for money. Great track 4.5/5
5.Everyday (Introducing Jet) - don't feel Jet at all, hes pretty wack IMO and i dont like him taking away time from Paris, beats decent but not Paris produced. 1.5/5
6.Thug Livin (Introducing Nuttso)- wow does this sound like an original song by the title ::). I dont feel Nuttso at all, i think he did a song with 2Pac before but i've never heard it, this song doesn't deserve to be on a Paris album. 1.5/5
7.Root Of All Evil - Another personal song, about how money changes peoples. Beat is R&B-ish & works well, Paris comes with some nice wordplay - "I fold em up like a crease"
8.Heat feat Jet & Spice 1 - Another gangsta cut, beat is bangin as hell. Paris comes with a decent verse but Jet is wack as always. Spice, however kills this track with some insane gangsta lyrics & an incredible flow. 3.5/5
9.Street Soldier - Great track, about fake Gangstas. The beat is funky as hell, Paris has some great lyrics- "Better realize there's more to life/than who fucked who new shoes & high sight". 5/5
10.44 Wayz featuring Mystic - Incredible song, Paris & Mystic (great artist) collab on a Bonnie & Clyde track, both show heavy emotion while telling the story. At the end Paris destroys it "Bang i couldn't thank, a nigga froze, i seen my baby die & i went cold, shooting muthafuckas around til i got grazed, on my the side of my shoulder but aint feeling no pain,  dipped int he back but he capped at me blasted me captured me, below the knees, and free was all a nigga recalled, seen him draw, praise allah, cause i knew that was all." one of my fave songs of all time. 5/5
11.Conversation - Paris drops a jewel about living on the West Coast expreriencing murder, and about the coming up of Hip-Hop with young kids trying to rap. He also warns rappers to save their money - "Done seen these rap stars dissapear like civil rights, and go from poor to rich to poor again, overnight." 5/5
12.Same Ol Same Ol (Introducing Jet) - title describes it all, Jet is just the Same Ol. 1.5/5

Overall, this is Definetly Paris's worst album. He shows signs of his former self on Street Solder & Conversation but he tries out 2 new styles on this album. The personal tracks are dope but the Gangsta tracks are average at best. There's 3 classic tracks (Street Soldier 44 Wayz & Conversation) and a few dope ones. However the wack-ass tracks by Nuttso & Jet hurt this album bad. Overall i'd give this album 3.5/5

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
Re:Paris - Unleashed
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2003, 10:41:22 AM »
Nice review.  Props.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2003, 09:07:51 PM »
i decided to do this review first so people can see i can admit Paris makes some below-average tracks too. Coming next: The Devil Made Me Do It review

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Smooth

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2003, 11:38:34 AM »
Yo, real Dope review homie... I just checked this Paris cat for the first time yesterday, I found that "44 wayz" track on Kazaa and that's some heat right there!... that beat is hella laid back and tight... and Paris and Mystic both murder the track... great shit...

"Nigga what up now?. you act like a bitch, you bound to get fucked, you trick ass snitch!" - Snoop Dogg - "Buck Em"

"Stranded on death row for pumpin slug's in muthafucka's" - Kurupt - "Stranded on Death Row"

Here's a message to the youngsters today,standing by you can die - Nate Dogg - "One More Day"

Battle Record 1-0

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2003, 08:08:09 PM »
Yo, real Dope review homie... I just checked this Paris cat for the first time yesterday, I found that "44 wayz" track on Kazaa and that's some heat right there!... that beat is hella laid back and tight... and Paris and Mystic both murder the track... great shit...

yeah i think 44 Wayz is def in my top 10 tracks of all time, make sure you check out some free MP3's On Paris's website www.guerillafunk.com

Paris

Dr._Funkenstein

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2003, 02:56:58 PM »
Very dope review! I agree with almost everything you said (I gave the album the same rating in the thread about Paris in the main forum). Lookin' forward to your "Devil Made Me Do It" review.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2003, 08:39:54 PM »
Very dope review! I agree with almost everything you said (I gave the album the same rating in the thread about Paris in the main forum). Lookin' forward to your "Devil Made Me Do It" review.

yeah it might not be up for a few weeks cause i'm going away soon but when i get back all 4 of Paris's CD's will be up cause that's mostly what i'll be bumpin when i'm away

Paris

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2003, 02:16:13 AM »

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

Dr._Funkenstein

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2003, 02:20:05 PM »
Without Jet's & Nuttso's appearances/solo songs this album would actually be pretty decent. :D

Three 5/5 songs, two 4.X/5 tracks and a few average fillers... Still better than a lot of shit which dropped in '98.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2003, 09:28:31 PM »
Without Jet's & Nuttso's appearances/solo songs this album would actually be pretty decent. :D

Three 5/5 songs, two 4.X/5 tracks and a few average fillers... Still better than a lot of shit which dropped in '98.

definetly. They bring it down about .5, probably be 4/5 without them.

Paris

UnstoppableForce

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2003, 10:25:46 PM »
 8)

BlacPain

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 10:26:54 PM »

definetly. They bring it down about .5, probably be 4/5 without them.

i guess you dont know about the unleashed version with slightly different tracklist and without the "introductions" from JET and Nutt-So ;)

i will post the tracklist later but hmmm i dont think that the JET and Nutt-So tracks that weak as you written it down, pz.

StyleOverSubstance

• Lil Geezy
Re: Paris - Unleashed
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2005, 06:58:16 AM »
PROPS FO THE REVIEW. ALWAYS THE TRUTH FELLAS, ALWAYS THE TRUTH