Author Topic: NEW Warren G ROTR Review  (Read 375 times)

On The Edge of Insanity

NEW Warren G ROTR Review
« on: February 23, 2002, 07:08:06 AM »
This is my review which is going to go on my new rap website and soon as I get it up and running.

Holla back and tell me what ya think about the format of the review and obviously your thoughts on the album.

Finally before the review I know that I am going to get at least one person who says that I should have posted this under the current topic, but I couldn't be bothered to find it amongst all this myrealname crap.

------------------------------------------------------------

Warren G
Return of the Regulator
Universal Records

Warren G is best known for his song Regulate with his long time friend Nate Dogg. Since the release of that song on the Above the Rim OST Warren has released four albums including this one. There was the classic that was Regulate: G Funk Era, the disappointment of Take a Look over Your Shoulder (Reality) and his 1999 release I Want It All which lay between his first two albums in terms of quality. So onto the new album The Return of the Regulator; and its good news for all you Warren fans because he is back to the quality of his original album with a bang.

When you buy a Warren G album you are not doing so for his lyrical abilities, but for the laid back G Funk beats and they are hear by the truckload on this album. After one of the longest intros I have ever sat through (clocking in at 3:33) and album kicks off for proper with the Dr Dre produced Lookin At You featuring Toi on the hook. This song is typical Warren G, great laid back beat, good subject matter and an excellent hook and gets the album off to a great start. The next song is the first of two major reunions on this album, with Mista Grimm teaming up with Warren once more on a track called Here Comes another Hit which features Nate Dogg on the hook. When you hear this song it will make you wonder why exactly Warren and Grimm don’t hook up more often because they really do work so well together. The next track is Somethin’ to Bounce To which is produced by and features Soopafly. This song is a very bouncy track which I like but that might not be to everyone’s taste. The first of Butch Cassidy’s appearances comes up next on the track This Gangsta Shit Is Too Much which has a nice beat and good lyrics by Warren. After a skit the next track is Young Locs Slow Down which is probably one of my two least favourite on the album because the beat is pretty weak by Warren’s standards and I just ain’t feeling the song in general. In direct contrast, the next track Speed Dreamin is a classic featuring Mista Grimm again and the king of G Funk style hooks George Clinton. Considering the fact that there are so many Clinton wannabes on the album such as Butch Cassidy and Kokane it seems only right that the man himself should be included as well.

When the club owner says in the intro for the next track “We got something real special for y’all tonight” he certainly isn’t lying because this is the second of the two reunions on the album. Back together again come Warren, Nate and Snoop as 213 for the best song on the album Yo Sassy Ways. Nate’s vocals our as soulful as ever and the raps of Snoop and Warren fit into the song together perfectly. If the rumours of a 213 reunion album are to be believed then it is going to be an essential purchase on the evidence of this track. After a skit Mista Grimm makes another appearance on It Ain’t Nothin’ Wrong With You alongside Boss Hogg and Damone, which follows the trend of the rest of the album with a great beat and hook and good lyrics by Warren and the others on the track. For me the next song has to be the second best on the album, and it is Ghetto Village which is scheduled to be the second song released from the album after Lookin’ At You. The song has a almost haunting hook and Warren’s raps are his best on the album, which really does make for one excellent song. The next two songs, They Lovin Me Now and Streets Of LBC are both good songs which offer the same quality as the rest of the album. However track 15, G-Funk Is Hear To Stay is the worst song on the album mainly due to the fact that Kokane is perhaps one of the worst hook singers ever. If George Clinton or even Butch Cassidy were on this track instead then it could have been a good song but Kokane totally ruins it. The album ends with the pretty average Keepin’ It Strong which doesn’t really stand out, but continues the formula shown by the other songs on the album.

Overall Warren G is back to his best on this album. If you liked Regulate:G Funk Era and want some more of the same then pick this up because I guarantee you that you will enjoy this album to the same extent if not slightly more than you did his first effort.

Overall: 9.2

------------------------------------------------------------
ps: i also know that i haven't posted a pic of the cover before anyone says that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Jome

Re: NEW Warren G ROTR Review
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2002, 07:30:40 AM »
Good review, but you'd might as well consider dividing it into each song, as it could need a little air/space.

I mean like this:
1. Intro - blah blah blah
8 of 10

2. Lookin at you - Blah blah blah
9.5 of 10

At least that's how I like to read a review, it's much easier to find out what's hot & not.

Hittman

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2002, 07:54:40 AM »
Yeah It Was A Dope Review But I Agree With Jome.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2002, 05:56:34 AM »
Yeah I see ya point, cause after a while you run out of ways to move onto talking about the next track and the review can
become boring.

Anyways look out for my new site and also it there is anyone out there who would like to contribute some of their rap reviews or rap related articles to the site then please either reply here or e-mail me at nmd45records@hotmail.com