Author Topic: review: dr dre 2001  (Read 3461 times)

Immortal

Re: review: dr dre 2001
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2003, 02:52:52 PM »
Great review except I disagree with you about Bitch Niggaz. Light Speed was the worst track in my opinion. Other than that classic album.
"Tha Immortality of my Fame is the measure of others torture..."--GZA

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:review: dr dre 2001
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2003, 08:14:53 AM »
this is like my fav album ever...

I dont know why people dont like Let get high.. thats one of my fav songs..

but, still dre, next episode, and forgot about dre are the shit!!

Skindiana bon3z

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2003, 10:17:17 AM »
Great review except I disagree with you about Bitch Niggaz. Light Speed was the worst track in my opinion. Other than that classic album.

Blood Rain

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • flesh of my flesh, my blood is life
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2003, 08:38:11 AM »
thanks for the review the album was dope out

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2003, 03:40:04 AM »
fuck this topic is older than hell, damn i wish i could have my old name back.........please overseer,lol

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

gchild213

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2005, 04:07:14 PM »
album is dope

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2005, 03:10:20 PM »
Dope album, 4 mics. Still Dre and Big Egos are my favorite tracks on that album, mainly because of the piano chords. I like the instrument layering on Still Dre, it's one of Dre's most sophisticated tracks musically and Big Egos has that dark feel that I love. Those 2 tracks stand out the most on this album.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

#1Stunna

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2005, 09:40:24 PM »

Woozie

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Hail! Hail!
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2005, 10:08:15 AM »
22)The Message-sweeet track,sentimental like,good closer and i like Dre lyrics on this,about personal loss of course,makes the album have a well rounded edge that is dope 4/5

lyrics were written by Royce Da 5'9" for Dre on this track  ;)

Tha_shiznit

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2005, 04:59:00 PM »
Well here's my review of the album, which IMO dwarfs the Chronic, which i can't seem to feel.
I'll admit my music taste is very confined, but this is my all-time fave album funnily enough. I'll only review the non-skit songs...

1. Lolo - A god of a song...  ;D

2. The Watcher - IMO an excellent song, probably the most 'hardcore' on the album, and the way it goes straight into it... But apparently the lyrics were written by Jay-Z! The kinda thing that would put you right off it...
8.5/10

3. Fuck You - A good song. Great when the beat comes in and again when Dre comes in 'I just wanna fuck Bad Bitches...' But Devon's voice just pisses me off. Snoop sounds good as well. Probably one of the lesser songs on the album more pop-y or w/e.
8/10

4. Still D.R.E. - Well what to say. The 1st song by Dre i ever heard, way back, and the song which caused me to buy 2001, however after discovering the rest of the album i went off it. Still a heartfelt song with a strong minor key piano beat (my favourite).
8.5/10

5. Big Egos - My personal favourite song on the album. Maybe the ending by Hittman is slightly annoying, but the powerful, hardhitting beat and IMHO Dre's best verse ever, together make it possibly my favourite ever song. This may be a controversial opinion but w/e...
10/10

6. Xxplosive - Another song that not everyone seems to like. Personally i love it. It's so laidback. Kurupt may cuss X times, but the two choruses (or whatever they are) and the Nate-verse make this song amazing.
9.5/10

7. What's the Difference - Another in a line of excellent songs IMO, and a very aggressive one at that. Personally i dislike Xzibit's verse, but that may just be due to the fact i detest his voice. As said before Eminem starts off well, but then goes on slightly repetitively, but i still think he is a welcome presence on the song. A shame the beat is generally associated to Breathe...
8.5/10

9. Light Speed - The beat is good, of a similar style to The Next Episode, and the lyrics are delivered well, but the chorus is IMO terrible, and really almost kills the song. Nevertheless it is one of my favourites still.
8/10

10. Forgot about Dre - The other song i had heard except from Still D.R.E., prior to buying the album. Used to be my fave song, but over the years i got bored of it. However the violent and aggresive lyrics really remind that Dre still is out there, and the master chorus and Eminem's verse truly show off Eminem.
9.5/10

11. The Next Episode - This song accomplishes the near impossible task it sets out to do, shown by its name. If it was ever possible to be as good as Nuthin But a G Thang, then this song is it, but it is more party, and less laid-back gangster. Instead of the hood-party shown in the G thang video we get pop charts hitting rich-man parties, which isnt all a bad thing.
9.5/10

12. Let's Get High - Personally i don't like this song that much, but i can see where others are coming from when they say it is a good party song. I like the chorus, and the drug obsessed lyrics are ok.
7.5/10

13. Bitch Niggaz - My 2nd favourite song on the album, mainly because i listen to music on my own, and this song is so ery good for chilling to. Snoop's intro on its own would be enough to make me buy the song, and the beat is... i just can't put it into words. However the Hittman verse is not needed.
10/10

15. Murder Ink - A good song, with a slightly controversial portrayal of a woman 'Who'd have thought a sexy bitch would be a murderer, sniper', which is slightly against the image that Dre (but mainly Snoop) puts down usually, almost classing women as equal, something entirely unexpected. However the best bit in the song IMO is 'When darkness be closin' in' etc, which is an excellent entry.
8.5/10

16. I don't count this a song. Only listened 2 it once.

17. Some L.A. Niggaz - Another one of my favourite songs. Sounds real Old Skool and includes many many greats, however they could've done without X IMO. I love the beat and the chorus, which sounds totally out of place, but somehow in a good way. Just love it...
9.5/10

18. Jeah... The real shit... Definitely a useful addition

19. Housewife - Personally i don't count this as a song, for IMO it would cast doubt on the excellence of 2001. The chorus is good but can't stand the verses. No doubt will get abuse for this  :)
5.5/10
Relistened to this again, and i would now give it 7/10

20. Ackrite - Another song i just hate, but this one is entirely unsubstansiated, i don't think i've ever had the bottle to listen to it the whole way through. I just hate it! (Personal opinion)
1/10
Relistened to this today in full, to give myself a fair opinion and i would now give it 7/10... It's O.K.

21. Bang Bang - Not one of the best songs on 2001 but still pretty brilliant, with IMO all the verses having their own edge, and lyrics i actually enjoy.
8.5/10

22. The Message - A real song, but not one of my personal favourites. I like how it differs to most of the other songs on the album in style, and i think it's a good song to end the album on.
7.5/10

« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 04:31:11 PM by Tha_shiznit »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2006, 02:58:12 PM »
2. The Watcher - IMO an excellent song, probably the most 'hardcore' on the album, and the way it goes straight into it... But apparently the lyrics were written by Jay-Z! The kinda thing that would put you right off it...
8.5/10

I don't think Jay-Z wrote "The Watcher"...Jay-Z wrote "Still DRE", but I'm pretty sure it was Eminem who wrote "The Watcher"...

Tha_shiznit

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2006, 01:25:04 PM »
I don't think Jay-Z wrote "The Watcher"...Jay-Z wrote "Still DRE", but I'm pretty sure it was Eminem who wrote "The Watcher"...

Just what i was told.

Teddy Loc

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2021, 05:19:30 PM »
Classic Dr. Album. I was in Grambling State when this came out and everybody I know was bumping it real hard.
#NoDoubt