Author Topic: Nate Dogg - "Music & Me" Review/Thoughts  (Read 1039 times)

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
Nate Dogg - "Music & Me" Review/Thoughts
« on: November 30, 2001, 08:34:12 PM »
Damn... i been trying to post this shit off and on since this afternoon.. anyways

anyways.... I d/l'd his new album today.. due out on the 4th (pick it up!)... thought i'd drop my thoughts on the album.

Now first of all, if you have his first album it's a very different sounding album.  That was basically 2 cds of G-Funk (aka heaven) and a lot of solo joints.  Of the 13 songs (14 tracks) there's only 5 solo songs from Nate, so obviously the quality of the collaborations is important.

The album is set off by "I Got Love", which i've been bumping for a couple of months right now.  Not as good as his old classics, but still a nice song.  Solid production and Nate sounded pretty good.  "Backdoor" has a strings section that reminds me of Dre, could this be Dre production?  Anyways, it's a cool solo effort from Nate.  The song basically tells a woman (or women) to call him if they're lonely or their boyfriend is playing games.  "Keep It Gangsta" is a pace-change.  It has a lot of talkbox on it which is dope, and Lil Mo actually doesn't sound crappy.  Xzibit sounds pretty good, he also says something about "doing" Britney Spears haha....
My current joint is probably "I Pledge Allegiance" with Pharoahe Monch.  The intro is unnecessary, but luckily it's a seperate track.  I like the beat on this as well as Nate's different sounding cadence. Oh, and Pharoahe comes off, but I'm sure you all guessed that.  This is where there's a bit of a drop off... not a serious one, but "Your Woman Has Just Been Sighted" featuring JD is not on the level of the previous tracks.  The same can be said about "Can't Nobody" with Kurupt.  "Your Wife" featuring Dre, also produced by Dre is pretty good, you can definitely tell it's a Dre beat and its cool to see these two working together.  
"Another Short Story" showcases why Nate needs to do more songs by himself.  This is some classic soulful, funky Nate Dogg G Funk shit.  Nate drops a little.. you guessed it... short story.  More songs like this would be much enjoyed by me personally.  The pace is totally changed on "Concrete Streets"  My favorite part is the hook, but the song is overall dopeness.  Another Nate solo and another gem... hmmm.... coincidence I think not.  The joint with Ludacris "Real Pimp" has a sample that gets on my last nerve... but the song isn't horrible... maybe that's just because I like how Nate sounds... Ludacris isn't bad, he just doesnt strike me with anything he says, as usual.  The Fred Wreck produced "Ditty Dum Ditty Doo" featuring Eastsidaz is a better effort, perhaps that's just thanks to the natural chemistry they have.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

Dope Money Clean

Re: Nate Dogg - "Music & Me" Review/Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2001, 09:52:34 PM »
i actually liked his last album more than this .  it was more old skool  .   soulful  .    
but  Music & Me  is  pretty  dope  .     my  fav  joints on it  :  

-backdoor
-your wife
-your woman has just been sighted
-cant nobody  

all them joints  are  HOT !  
now  the rest of the album gotta grow  on me !

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2001, 12:13:11 AM »
i also prefer nates first album..thats why i paid 42 canadian for it... its dopeness end to end.. this one has some flaws... but overall still nice.
Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

Antonio

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2001, 12:54:21 AM »
Well.. let's say that the CD is a good CD. Not a classic, not at the same level of his last performances (Cant Deny It, Area Codes, Sassy Ways, etc..), but a good CD with a pair of classic songs.

I Got Love is wonderful, and the video too.

The Remix (the version of the video) is good too.

And Music & Me is maybe one of his top 5 songs ever.

I like the track with JD too. Good for the next video. They are so tight together, damn. Even if JD aint exactly my fav rapper.

Well.. if u wanna compare the albums (i know they totally different, but.. they both really really really anticipated by all of us)... THE RETURN OF THE REGULATOR wins. By a lot.

Vote: 3 mics.

But i'll still buy it for MUSIC & ME.

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2001, 03:07:01 AM »
I noticed that they removed a track from the album. the bonus track with roscoe and kurupt. i hope it will be on the album as a hidden track, even if I havent heard the song yet.

www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

Murrow

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2001, 03:55:27 AM »

"Backdoor" has a strings section that reminds me of Dre, could this be Dre production?

Nah, that's our pal Fredwrecktified, he has a track on their.  Dre only has one on Nate's album,  :( .

SugeFight

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2001, 04:01:43 AM »
I have to be honest.  When I bought the Nate double disc a couple of years back THIS is what I was hoping itd sound like.  Dont get me wrong--I enjoyed the double disc..but this is more of what I want to hear from Nate Dogg..and overall I think its pretty tight except for a few weak beats.

mikeOG

• Quadruple OG
  • Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2001, 05:32:20 AM »
I think this album is tight... He uses his hooks tight nowadayz  I think he is the only one who improved from his deathrow days! think about it, daz(lost his laid back shit) kurupt(lost his tight shit) snoop(no comment) dre(cant bring tha g-funk back like we all want it!!!!)

Quadruple OG

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2001, 05:41:00 AM »
dissapointed, very dissapointed.  Nate could have done a lot better than this.  G Funk Classics one and two were much tighter than this album.  I can understand wanting to hook up with people he sang hooks for, but putting all of them on his album brings this album down.  Nate should have put like 5-6 more tracks with Dre and Warren G production.

Hittman

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2001, 05:46:35 AM »
I'm Going To Wait And Ima Buy The Album Instead Of Downloading It. Support The Homie Nate.

mikeOG

• Quadruple OG
  • Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2001, 05:55:40 AM »
why wasnt daz on any tracks?? yea like they all of a sudden are gonna hook up for a DPGC album.... whatever, that is never gonna happen, these fools (daz, dre, nate) dont even want to talk to each other none-the-less make a album! I just think its a dream which will never come true

Alex_Wreck

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Wreccless Beats
Re: Nate Dogg -
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2001, 06:37:39 AM »
Alot of us saw this coming, i mean come on all you have to do is look at the Production Credits & the Guest Lists. The guest list couldve been tolerable if it was over some good production, but Nate didnt even work with Daz or Warren G ( :o which was just unforgivable, since Warren G provided arguably the best moments on G-Funk Classics), two producers who did good work on the first album.

All i have to say is "Why Nate?"  ::)

WS

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2001, 06:41:32 AM »
Post a link where i can download it PLEASE!!!!

SugeFight

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Nate Dogg -
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2001, 06:47:45 AM »

Alot of us saw this coming, i mean come on all you have to do is look at the Production Credits & the Guest Lists. The guest list couldve been tolerable if it was over some good production, but Nate didnt even work with Daz or Warren G ( :o which was just unforgivable, since Warren G provided arguably the best moments on G-Funk Classics), two producers who did good work on the first album.

All i have to say is "Why Nate?"  ::)

You werent satisfied with all the Nate/Warren collabos on the new Warren joint?  

I`m Wayne Brady bitch!

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2001, 07:18:49 AM »
My favourite right now is ditty dumm ditty doo