Author Topic: Jay-Z featuring The Roots - Unplugged Review.  (Read 500 times)

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
Jay-Z featuring The Roots - Unplugged Review.
« on: December 04, 2001, 08:05:04 PM »
well i was kinda blah about this... then i found out that it was the shit he did unplugged with the roots... so i d/l'd to check it out.... if they ever put out an instrumental of this shit i would cop it in a second... jigga sounds aight for the most part... i'll probably cop it somewhere down the line because all the songs sound so dope like this.

I dunno what to say.. I'm pretty suprised by this shit really... so much dope stuff this week with G Rap, Last Emp, Binary and this...

01  5:08   Izzo (H.O.V.A.)
02  4:56   Takeover
03  4:40   Girls Girls,Girls
04  2:34   Jigga What Jigga Who
05  4:10   Big Pimpin
06  4:05   Heart Of The City (Aint No Love)
07  1:42   Can I Get A
08  1:31   Hard Knock Life (The Ghetto Anthem)
09  1:01   Aint No
10  6:06   Cant Knock The Hustle Ft Mary J Blige
11  7:03   Song Cry
12  6:57   I Just Wanna Love U (Give It 2 Me)
13  8:22   Jigga That Nigga                  

now... lets see

"Izzo" is just plain revitalized by this shit. The intro with Jigga talking is amazing in itself.... I believe Jill Scott is singing... dopeness.  I liked Izzo when it was new... then I kinda got tired of it.. but I doubt i'll ever get tired of this.... Jay also sounds good spittin it... it seems faster paced than the original but maybe thats just me...

"Takeover" Jay says "we gonna keep it in the truest essence of hip-hop, the battle".... man this beat sounds better with the Roots playing it... and it only gets better because The Roots flip it and start playing Shook Ones, and then NY State Of Mind!!!!

"Girls Girls Girls" has some Scratch beatboxing... and Jill Scott again.... I always wonder what popular cats would sound like over some really dope beats.. and damned if this doesnt sound ill with The Roots hooking shit up....(sorry if it seems like I'm jocking the Roots... i am.)

"Jigga What Jigga Who" ... i hated this song with a passion so much when it was out.... the hook is still gay to me... but i like how Jigga spits fast and the beat sounds cooler...

"Big Pimpin"  another song I disliked originally... but damned if I dont love this... Im gonna have to go check the original cause if it sounds as good as this i must've been missing something.  

"Aint No Love" ... man... the melodic feeling of this album is really impressive to me... it fulfills my need for a Roots album at least until they can give me a new one... Jay sounds reasonably good... he doesnt seem lazy to me as he does on his albums sometimes.... Jill Scott singing again I believe...

"Can I Get A..." another song I disliked.... the live instrumentation does improve it.. as does Jay's energy....

"Hard Knock Life" ... another Jigga single I hated (i hated most of them between Vol 1 and Dynasty).... Jill Scott with some back up maybe on the hook?  anyways... I'm feeling it.

"Ain't No Nigga" ... he only drops a minute... but it sounds dope.. nice change of pace for a minute... literally.

"Cant Knock The Hustle" .... dayum.... :hat  this is ill. Mary comes off well.

"Song Cry"  Jill Scott I'm sure on the vocals again.. it's gotta be her. heh
great song... even better in this format.

"I Just Wanna Make Love 2 U"  This is my least favorite... beat is good but I'm just not feeling the song a lot...

"Jigga That Nigga" dope remake that i like much more than the original.....

the bonus track "People Are Talking" is hot... its already on the mixtape circuit....

So basically... I like it a lot... and for something I wasnt even sure i wanted to download I'm mad suprised....

Beats: 12/5... haha jk... 5/5 though. straight.
Rhymes: 4/5  maybe the lyrics arent always great but his presence live is very nice.... as is his flow
Originality: 4/5  ... c'mon it is Jigga with The fucking Roots for christs sake.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

teecee

Re: Jay-Z featuring The Roots - Unplugged Review.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2001, 08:10:18 AM »
Cliche, this album looks TIGHT!  And yo, i told you Big Pimpin was tight.........but what i really wanna hear is Takeover over those other beats OMG that sounds nice.  I can't wait to hear this one.........this is a nice review by the way, keep it up!

Top-Dogg2001

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Stillmatic
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2001, 10:30:33 AM »
I really want to hear this album. I heard the bonus cut and h to the izzo. It's sickening.

Speaking of the roots I met Questlove (dude with big ass fro who be on da drums) in the record store the other day. He's a cool dude. I asked him when the new black thought joint was coming out. He said it was scrapped and they are dropping a new roots joint next june.
Picture yourself crushin Xzibit with your tough talk,
thats like Christopher Reeve doin' the crip walk.- Xzibit

Suicidal, High I'm smoking so much la,
I saw a dead bird flying through a broken sky-
Nas

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2001, 08:45:52 AM »
The played the whole thing on tha radio 1 rap show on friday night and that shit was tight.

Jome

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2002, 02:24:12 PM »
It's tight no doubt, but I thinkz the tracklist could have been better, and also 13 jointz is a bit little. Yeah I know there was a bonus, but the other track only lasted a minute. It's heat though cuz.