Author Topic: An Accurate List Of Classic Albums  (Read 967 times)

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:An Accurate List Of Classic Albums
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2004, 01:52:00 PM »
Charlie Brown: If u don't like Illmatic, aight. I never really liked RUN-DMC (the album) that much cuz from the perspective i had when i heard it it was very simplistic and just sounded too old for my personal likings. But it is still undeniably a classic for its impact, the way it influenced other records and its importance to hiphop history. And so is Illmatic, so u just cannot say it should be taken off that list

Nima: Those are all dope ass albums on ur list (except I think Soul On Ice is kinda overrated by those who know it), Season Of Da Siccness is up there w/ The Chronic for me, but most of the albums u listed are not important or even unheard of to many hiphop listeners who ain't that much into w/c shit. Only albums u could put on that list IMO are Regulate + maybe Cypress Hill

This album really belongs on that list too cuz it was definitely trendsetting like few others (much more than eg Enta Da Stage). Mobb Deep defined reality rap and really, this album has been sampled more than any other i know (no exaggeration, no album i could name songs with more vocal samples off than this) and songs like "Shook Ones Pt. II" or "Survival Of The Fittest" are sum of the most respected street classics ever

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2004, 02:11:57 PM »
Nas-Illmatic
Raekwon-Cuban Linx
Gza-Liquid Swords
Outkast-All
Andre3000-the Love Below
Tribe Called Quest-First 3 really

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

We Fly High

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2004, 02:17:49 PM »
yeah mobb the infamous definitely needs to be in there..

jake - haha The Love Below? give me a break man

dude looks like you guys arent really understanding the reason for this post..  
the main point of this post is to point out the true classics of hip hop, and not to have the word being applied to like every album.

and once again, you need to take those busted ass laker hoes outta ur signature. theyre so fukin beat up. especially the one on the right.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 02:18:45 PM by justin718 »

Ras Kass' Toothpick

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2004, 02:46:47 PM »
The Infamous was just about to go up there but I was giving the credit of that grimey, hardcore hip-hop to Enter The Wu-Tang and Enta Da Stage (both came out two years earlier).  I think those two albums influenced CNN, Mobb Deep, Smif-N-Wessun, etc.  
Either way The Infamous could be on there with no real objection from me and Enta Da Stage could be off.

Charlie Brown: If u don't like Illmatic, aight. I never really liked RUN-DMC (the album) that much cuz from the perspective i had when i heard it it was very simplistic and just sounded too old for my personal likings. But it is still undeniably a classic for its impact, the way it influenced other records and its importance to hiphop history. And so is Illmatic, so u just cannot say it should be taken off that list

^^^ Took the words outta my mouth.
Herb Quote Of The Year[/u]

CalebOhio: I think i can speak for many others when i say my favorite rap artists are white but i still want black artists to be dope. they are chosing not to be. that wouldn't be a likely believe held in a white supremacist group. I want Nas to deliver evertime but he doesn't every time Sage does. so Sage gets my $15 regardless or his status. fuck your status perception and labels you use.

DAYUM

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2004, 04:46:16 PM »
I agree with everything nima listed, great list

and wheres Mobb Deep "The Infamous"

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2004, 07:11:38 AM »
The Infamous was just about to go up there but I was giving the credit of that grimey, hardcore hip-hop to Enter The Wu-Tang and Enta Da Stage (both came out two years earlier).  I think those two albums influenced CNN, Mobb Deep, Smif-N-Wessun, etc

I'd say they did too, but then neither Wu-Tang nor Black Moon released albums that weren't influenced by other records before them. The feeling I get listening to "The Infamous" is different from the feeling I get listenin to "36 Chambers"...what Mobb Deep did was usher in the era of Queensbridge reality rap, they made a dark, depressive album, pure street shit. Wu-Tang had all those references to martial arts flicks and songs that weren't that serious or dark ("Method Man")...Black Moon's first album was more like The Infamous lyrically, but judgin from its impact on hiphop it seems to be less important to me. I'm not sayin u should take Enta Da Stage off that list but The infamous gotta be on it cuz it was just as important and influential and defined that QB style which those others didn't (since they weren't even QB albums)

PhantomChild

• 'G'
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2004, 03:38:03 PM »
Esham-Boomin Words From Hell-C'mon,this album set the stage for many Detroit Rappers and at such a young age(13).

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2004, 06:52:28 PM »
Nas-Illmatic
Raekwon-Cuban Linx
Gza-Liquid Swords
Outkast-All
Andre3000-the Love Below
Tribe Called Quest-First 3 really

The Love Below wasn't hip hop.

mauzip

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2004, 07:47:58 PM »
how the hell can you call an album which is not even a year old classic?

Anokhi

• Lil Geezy
  • uh huh!!
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2004, 11:07:55 PM »
Pretty dope list. i'd mos def put 3 ft high and rising on there… and theres some ish on the list that I wouldn’t exactly consider classic (but that’s me).
And I ain’t sure bout classic but I’m really, really feeling Immortal techs revolutionary vol2… tis a bit early to label it as a classic tho.
Also classics IMO... black Star, diamond D’s stunts. Blunts n hip hop, gangstarrs moment of truth, KMDs mr hood, commons resurrection, main source breakin atoms, outkast 1st 3 albums… and im sure more will come to mind later
Just my opinion tho…
"Who is that man mama??
On stage with a brew in his hand mama??
Don't u think he's being rude to the fans mama???
grabbin' his crotch look at him do it again mama???
He's doin' it again mama!!!!!"

DAYUM

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2004, 11:15:19 PM »
all the cool kids think Chingy "Jackpot" is a classic mainstream albums and i dont even listen to mainstream rap...

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2004, 02:43:00 AM »
Here's one that I personally see as a classic, but I dunno how many other people are gonna be behind me on:

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2004, 04:57:46 AM »
^^ i was never a big fan of theirs, but if it was on the list i wouldn't say take it off

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2004, 09:17:14 AM »
Here's one that I personally see as a classic, but I dunno how many other people are gonna be behind me on:

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

YES!!! AGREED!!! Incredible album, the useage of sampling as not just ripping the entire track was influential for years to come.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

C-clamp

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2004, 11:28:29 AM »
I'd definitely have to put DOC on that list. You listen to that album now and it doesn't even sound like it was made in '89, like run DMC and LL.  That timeless quality is, to me a real important quality if i'm going to call something classic.