Author Topic: unbiased review of Dogg Pound 2002  (Read 3473 times)

Quadruple OG

unbiased review of Dogg Pound 2002
« on: July 26, 2001, 11:00:18 AM »
the new album by Tha Dogg Pound, which many people have been quick to jump on and diss because Death Row is releasing it.  Anyway, here is my review.

1. Intro - Should have been left off the album.  The computer voice saying "don't mess with this shit" is very annoying.   1/5

2. Roll wit us - This song was released on the Chronic 2000 album  years ago, but this song is much different than that.  That song was a Daz solo.  This song has a different beat, maybe done by the new production team of The Executioners, and in my opinion it's better than the released vesion.  Plus there is a verse by Kurupt and he's also on the chorus.  Tight first song.  4/5

3. Just Doggin (feat. Nate Dogg) - This was the first song that Death Row advertised when they announced this album.  It was also announced it was produced by none other than Dr. Dre.  This song originally appeared on the Sunset Park soundtrack in 1996.  That version is better than this one.  Not that the beat is bad, but the Sunset Park version fit the song better than Dre's.  3/5

4. Smoke (feat. Snoop Dogg and Tha Relativez) - The first song that hasn't been released in any form, and easily the tightest on this album.  Kurupt tears it up in his verse.  Snoop also tears it up, his flow is that classic Snoop Doggy Dogg flow that was heard on Doggystyle and Murder was the case sndtk.  The beat to this song is incredible, good song to smoke up to.  The Relativez come tight in their verses as well.  The best song on the album.  5/5

5. Gangsta Rap (feat. Crooked I) - The first single from the album, which was recently played on 100.3 the Beat.  This was supposed to be on Too Gangsta for radio, but because of Daz/Suge beef, Tha Pound was replaced with Scarface and Treach.  The beat sounds similar to "Who ride wit us" and is done, I believe by Fred Wreck.  Daz's verse is nothing special.  Crooked I shows us why he is one of the best, if not, the best west coast mc out.  Kurupt's verse is also pretty tight.    5/5

6. 10 til midnight (feat. SKG) - Kurupt is the only member of Tha Dogg Pound who raps on this track.  His verses are tight as usual.  SKG comes tight on her verse.  The beat is good, but what brings this song down is the hook.  It gets annoying, especially since this song is almost 6 minutes long.   3.5/5

7. Livin tha gangsta Life (feat. Xzibit) - The song starts off with the tv report about Snoop snitching on Suge.  Big C-style comes on and disses Snoop for being a dry snitch.  This song appeared on Dillinger/Young Gotti.  The beat is better on this version than the DPG version.  Daz gets dissed by whoever produced the song, as Daz says in the hook "Livin tha gangsta lie" instead of life.    3.5/5

8. Don't Stop (featuring 2pac) - One of the unreleased Pac songs that has been floating around in shitty quality is finally released, and thank god, it it's original song.  The beat is similar to the song "Got my mind made up" with it's simplistic.  But it works with Daz, Kurupt, and Pac's verses.  One of the best on the album.   4.5/5

9. Change the game remix (feat. Jay-Z) - This appeared on DJ Clue's The Professional 2, and it also has DJ Clue screaming his usual bullshit all over.  The track is decent.  I'm not a big Roc-A-Fella fan, but this is one of their better songs that they've done.   4/5

10. Crip wit us - This was on Dillinger/Young Gotti, and the beat is pretty much the same, except "Crip wit me" replaces "Dipp wit me".  Everything about the song is the same, except the female singer and RBX aren't on it, which actually improves the song in my opinion.   3.5/5

11. Wha cha about - Kurupt solo track, features verses from the song that was on "Brownsville to Long Beach", which was on one of Heltah Skeltah's albums.  beat is good, but the hook rivals 10 til midnight as the most annoying on the album, almost sounds like Kokane.  3/5

12. Your gyrlfriend (Feat. MacShawn and Soopafly) - Originally on Daz's album "Raw".  Beat is ok.  MacShawn steals the show on this track with his verses.  Soopafly drops an ok verse.   3.5/5

13. Feels Good - Also appeared on RAW.  This track has a tight beat, made for radio.  Daz and Kurupt drop tight verses.  Would have been a 5 had it not been released already.   4/5

14. Way too often (feat. Soopafly) - Death Row finally gets to release this song.  It was originally slated to be on Chronic 2000, and later Too Gangsta for Radio, but was pulled off both at the last minute.  It was released on Soopafly's album "Dat Whoopty Woop" in June.  They could have picked a better song wit Soopafly on it.  The beat almost sounds like a Timbaland beat.    2.5/5

15. It'z all about that money - Another RAW track.  Probably one of my least favorite tracks from that album, and it is my least favorite track from this one.  2/5

16. Every single Day (feat. Snoop) - One of the 3 tracks tha DPG fans have been waiting to have a cdq copy of (the others being "The Next Episode" original and "Doggystyle" feat. George Clinton).  Snoop once again sounds like the Snoop that we wish would come back.  The beat is tight, the verses are tight.  Nate Dogg is replaced on this song by a female singer, who I think is Jewell, but not sure.  If Nate was on this song, it would've been a 5.  But it'll settle for a   4.5/5

Overall, a pretty decent album.  This album is a much better album than Dead Man Walkin, which like this album, was meant to diss the artists who recorded it.  Unfortunately, reusing the songs from RAW and Dillinger/Young Gotti is the albums biggest problem.  They could have used other songs fro the vaults, but if it's true that Death Row has enough material for 2 more Dogg Pound albums, we'll have to wait and see.  Not as good as Dogg Food, but better than most of the shit that's all over TV and the radio.  It is pretty much on the same level as Dillinger/Young gotti

Overall rating of this album:  3.5/5

Quadruple OG

Re: unbiased review of Dogg Pound 2002
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2001, 07:14:24 PM »
it was my first review, do you expect a masterpiece?  you are one pathetic little bitch.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2001, 07:30:48 PM »
yo mack 11 just ignore that one dude that was dissing you in this post i'll delete his posts so he won't fuck with you , so just ignore anything he says

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Quadruple OG

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2001, 07:34:49 PM »
thanks jake.  dude was jumpin all over me cuz of my review.  wasn't THAT bad for a first review.

0asisgnr

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2001, 07:50:28 PM »
oh jake  i wanna suck your seman

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2001, 08:02:22 PM »
c'mon people lets just stick to talking about the album

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Smooth

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2001, 10:25:51 PM »
that was a tight review Mack_11

i agree with a lot of what you said... especially about "Smoke" that song is dope as fuck!

Peace
"Nigga what up now?. you act like a bitch, you bound to get fucked, you trick ass snitch!" - Snoop Dogg - "Buck Em"

"Stranded on death row for pumpin slug's in muthafucka's" - Kurupt - "Stranded on Death Row"

Here's a message to the youngsters today,standing by you can die - Nate Dogg - "One More Day"

Battle Record 1-0

Bigg J Dogg

• 'G'
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2001, 01:22:21 AM »
  on "Every Single Day" tha beat duzn't sound that much like tha version that'z watered down. u can her another part of tha beat more clearly.  but i'd give it tha same score as u cuz i only heard some of it and didn't know Nate wuzn't on this version of tha song.  that fuccin sux ass.....  well that wuz a very good review.  every1 got me thinking not 2 get this album but ur gettin me 2 think good of it.  dope review man!
"A Playa Plays For So Long That He's Played Out.  Hustler Hustles For So Long That He's Hustled Out.  A Pimp Pimps For So Long That He's Pimped Out.  A Whore, A Whore Whore's For So Long That She's Whored Out..."
     -Big Pimpin

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2001, 07:45:57 AM »
good review although i didn't like the album that much, the review is tight, good way to brea your review virginity, haha, peace.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

DreSnoop00

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2001, 12:21:28 PM »
good review... but i dont think i'm gonna get tha album ya kno.

So Much Style

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2001, 07:09:55 PM »
i agree wiht about everything exactly, pretty much except 1 song: way to often, that is one of my fav tracks off dat woopty woop
So much style back at it again

HBKid_Jr

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2001, 09:11:29 AM »
Every single day is 5/5 its the best song on there

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2001, 04:46:28 PM »
The beat for the Original "Every Single Day" with Nate is slightly different...The original Beat is better, cuz Cold187Um (Or some DR producer) added more Guitars to the "2002" version which made the beat not match with the lyrics as much as it did with teh OG beat, also not only that, but on "Every Single Day" Kurupts last verse is completely changed...His original verse (I belive) is much better (and completely different) than the one that Death Row used for "2002"...

Doggystylin

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2001, 05:28:25 PM »
^^ yeah, Smoke is a dope track!!

CodeCaine

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • reppin for the south, North Cackalac fool
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2001, 04:47:09 PM »
good review...i agree with just about all of your ratings...and i hate tha intro with that computer voice
It's CodeKane fool
Everybody knows Carolina's my home, this is my heart baby, this is my soul.

Folks think I'm out of my mind
I'm out of line a lot of times
I don't give a fuck bout guidelines
Do what I wanna do, when I wanna do it
You-you ain't like what I'm doin', you ain't got to
Petey Pab

Plus a buncha country boys wit gats, you don't want none-a that
-Scales