Author Topic: Ghostface Killah - SUPREME CLIENTELE  (Read 1496 times)

Siberian_Wolf

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FREE OL DIRTY!!!
Ghostface Killah - SUPREME CLIENTELE
« on: December 10, 2001, 09:43:41 PM »
Alotta yall peeps are going to make this review, well, let me as a devoted Wu-fan do it first. I’ve been waiting for Bulletproof Wallets to arrive, but I still don’t have the CD, so let me dwell upon this 2000 gem. It was recorded after Ghost’s getout from jail, during his usual struggle with diabetes and during Wu-Tang’s unusual struggle with bad sales.
01: intro
The whole material here is taken from the Ironman series, to sink the listener into GFK The Ironman’s chamber. – 3,0
02 : nutmeg (f. rza)
This wonderful song uses an old disco sample which adds alotta melody to the track and makes it really surprising. Ghost shows his full lyrical power, battling you Wu-Tang style. ‘I don’t really mean no harm, but it just happens you know, when I approach a mf wack nigga that tryin to spit his darts and cant spit em” – he goes in the intro. Later in the verses he spits such a twisted and at the same time evil shit that it stops your breath. 3rd verse belongs to RZA and he blows the track with his unmatchable delivery similar to “Wu-tang Clan aint nuthin ta fuck wit”. The title aint got a damn thing to do with the song concept. - 4,5
03 : one (f. t.m.f.)
Just a good Wu-Tang song with vocal loop repeating “one” in each line. Ghost flips another giant lyrical riddle, too hard for me to catch the meaning, but I love the delivery. TMF are some nobodies, they only get in in the chorus. – 4,0
04 : saturday nite
Music wise it’s a rather good song, the sample is played out, but the producers work it pretty nicely. Lyric wise I think it’s a freestyle, since it’s one long verse which begins as a story of a Saturday night and ends with Ghost shinin on BET, Planet Groove and Rap City News. The song ends abruptly. – 4,0
05 : ghost deini (f. superb)
Well, this one might be a classic, you can tell it from the first sounds. In fact it’s the 1st beat in the whole CD that sounds really Wu-Tang. A true definition of Ironman is depicted here. “How the fuck was yall niggas thinking? You think I fell off the ledge? The legendary Ghost Deini moght be dead? Never! Impossible!” …”Ghost sold crack, now his revelations spoken thru rap”. Between the verses Ghost pays tribute to Pac, Biggie and his own brother Marvin. Superb of the American Cream Team (Raekwon’s group) spits some well-crafted shit too. – 5,0
06 : apollo kids (f. raekwon)
Hassan provides this horn-blessed beat which is harder than a dragon’s tooth. Feels unusual hearin Ghost & Rae spit over such a hard track. They got wonderful chemistry 2gether. Ghost’s chorus sounds soo complicated: ‘This rappin’s like ziti, facing me real TV, Crash at high speeds, strawberry kiwi” – 4,5
07 : the grain (f. rza)
Ha ha, this track is really playful. RZA tries to stick to serious subject (“Don’t go against the grain!”) but Ghost’s unfadeable energy and a James Brown sample turn it into a really funny short song. In the end the MCs recite ODB’s singalong from “Don’t You Know”. – 4,0
08 : buck 50 (f. method man, cappadonna & redman)
Extreme funk right here! What else would you expect from Red & Meth over this fast & furious beat with funky samples? All MCs including Cappadonna come real tight here, the beat just makes them do it. “Your weed got more seeds than ODB” – ha ha ha!…- 4,9
09 : mighty healthy
DJ Allah Mathematics, the man that designed the Wu-logo, provided this futuristic beat. The song is pretty strange cuz the sample sounds fresh and fits to the Wu-Tang scenario while drum pattern date way way back to when KRS-One ruled. Ghost blesses this unique beat with some special self-praising delivery – 4,9
10 : woodrow the basehead (skit)
A long long skit. – 2,0
11 : stay true (f. 60 second assassin)
Same beat as Inspectah Deck’s Elevation, but it has no aeroplane sound and thus sounds different. Ghost spits a short but powerful verse and then 60 Sec (ODB’s cuzz from Sunz Of Man) does some good singing. Overall a skip song. – 3,5
12 : we made it (f. superb, chip banks & hell razah)
This one is my least favorite. No disrespect to the dead, but Chip Banks was an awful singer, he just spoiled the chorus. But all verses are pretty powerful, basic theme is about staying in the game thru all situations. – 3,5
13 : stroke of death (f. solomon childs & rza)
Ha ha, this one will blow yo headphones. RZA was just playin when he made this beat, becuz all the way thru all you hear is an awful scratch sound, which makes it a heroic act to listen all thru this 2 minute track. RZA spits the hardest verse. – 4,0
14 : iron's theme – intermission
Just some nobodies singin an unnecessary praise to the Ironman. Wack track. – 2,0
15 : malcolm
Smells Wu-Tang, no doubt. I love it when there are more than 2 loops in the track, and this one got like 6 different melodies changing each other. Ghost tells a complicated story from a drugdealers life while in the chorus he says “too much TV, guns & robberies, lust and greed and hate, the 4th devil’s jealousy”. A great track. – 4,5
16 : who would you fuck? (skit)
A long but funny skit where Ghost and members of American Cream Team discuss who of rap divas they’d go to bed with, from Lil Kim to Bahamadia. – 3,0
17 : child's play
RZA provides this versatile beat, and you can recognize it from the first seconds when a dark, gloomy melody warps your mind. Ghost tells a story about flirtin with a young girl: “Young Nefertiti, knowledge seed with no jewelry on/ Tahitian fresh berry tree, she’s a Capricorn” – sounds like Camay pt.II. – 4,5
18 : cherchez laghost (f. madam majestic & u-god)
This song is very, very, very happy and thus sounds a little out of place, but it boosted the sales a lot. Most of the song is Madam Majestic singing very nicely. Ghost does the first verse, sounding like he done fucked that Madam and would soon want more, and 2nd verse is U-God sounding like he raped her and wants more, too. – 4,0
19 : wu banga 101 (f. gza, raekwon, cappadonna & masta killa)
My dear God, I didn’t even imagine I would hear anything like this. This tremendous song with Mathematics’ beat is the whole definition of Wu-tang Clan, it represents its status in the past, present & future. I give a whole lot to have it like 12 minutes long with all the` members spittin classic shit.
I just give you the beginning of GZAs verse: “Too advanced, digi stance, made the CD enhanced, I move wit the speed and strength  of ants” and the ending: “With the high flying death defying flow like the Rebel/ Right there, but you’re one light year from my level!” and you know it’s gigantic. Ghost spits some dope lines too: “Bless the kid that max the most, me I turn a wedding into a hoax/ Roses tied to bombs on posts/ On commercial breaks, piss in the apple juice/ Rasta nigga rock the big doos, jiffy pop its only chant Wu”. Overall this song can be included into any Wu-greatest hits compilation, even if it’d be  only 7 songs in there. – 5,0
20 : clyde smith (skit)
Raekwon talks some shit thru a deep sound effect just like Pac used to in his skits when he was young. Nothing memorable – 2,0
21 : iron's theme – conclusion
Same crap as track no.14. – 2,0
22 : in the rain (wise) (f. the dramatics) (canada bonus) – Only the lucky Canadians got this bonus, I aint got it. If someone would upload it here, I wouldn’t need another gift for Christmas.

What can I say? A rapper from NY said in 2000 that after this CD “everyone jumped back on Wu’s dick”. Dennis Coles aka Tony Starks aka Ironman aka Ghostface Killah turned into the Wu-savior, just like Bizzy in the Bone camp. Who knows will they top this? If not for the skits and some studio tracks that sound like perfect b-sides, I would call it a classic. Lets wait some more years and we’ll see.

8,5 out of ten

p.s. Jake don’t be too mad that I always put so much unnecessary Wu-Tang in your forum. Soon I’ll hit yall with some Kam and some Brotha Lynch, peace.
I be one of those tall skinny cats with the four-nine
Three-eleven that rips through Power-U's and breaks spines
I culture power-tuggin' boys who be drunk, buggin'
Lovin' loud noise from toys, club thuggin'
Sweet chocolate deluxe, rugged, sexy buttercup
That don't give a fuck about the cop in the club
RZA in DO U

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
Re: Ghostface Killah - SUPREME CLIENTELE
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2001, 05:51:44 PM »
Nice review there Siberian. This is a pretty good album, though I feel some people overrate it sometimes. I give it  a 4/5, not quite as good as Ironman in my opinion but still a strong album nevertheless.

Cant wait to see your review for Iron Flag. Peace.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

Siberian_Wolf

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FREE OL DIRTY!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2001, 06:15:45 PM »

Nice review there Siberian. This is a pretty good album, though I feel some people overrate it sometimes. I give it  a 4/5, not quite as good as Ironman in my opinion but still a strong album nevertheless.

Cant wait to see your review for Iron Flag. Peace.

Thnx dogg, I got the same opinion, this album gets alotta overrating, some tracks could be easily left off the album. And for the Iron Flag, I dont think you'll get the review sooner than in a month, cuz I'll take a trip to Moscow in January and thats when Ill get the CD! unless some of my pals rip it off the Internet like they did with the Regulator!
I be one of those tall skinny cats with the four-nine
Three-eleven that rips through Power-U's and breaks spines
I culture power-tuggin' boys who be drunk, buggin'
Lovin' loud noise from toys, club thuggin'
Sweet chocolate deluxe, rugged, sexy buttercup
That don't give a fuck about the cop in the club
RZA in DO U

TheShiznit227

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "We Livin' this shit 'til the day that we die, Survival of the Fit only the strong survive..." Mobb Deep
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2001, 02:45:07 PM »
ILL REVIEW DOGG...I dont think this album is overrated at all...Classic im my mind...
"One Nation under a Groove, gettin' down jus' for tha funk of it..."

"Rest In Peace to all lives Stolen on September 11th, 2001..." Trey Lawrence III

"Yo, they call me Nas, I'm not your legal type of fella/Moet drinkin, marijuana smokin street dwellah" Nas on "Represent"