Author Topic: New Poll Shows Osama Bin Laden Has Wide Support in Saudi Arabia  (Read 226 times)

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Remember everyone, the overwhelming majority of Muslims strongly condemn terror.

Yeah right......

Poll of Saudis shows wide support for bin Laden's views

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/06/08/poll.binladen/

CNN) -- Almost half of all Saudis said in a poll conducted last year that they have a favorable view of Osama bin Laden's sermons and rhetoric, but fewer than 5 percent thought it was a good idea for bin Laden to rule the Arabian Peninsula.

The poll involved interviews with more than 15,000 Saudis and was overseen by Nawaf Obaid, a Saudi national security consultant.

It was conducted between August and November 2003, after simultaneous suicide attacks in May 2003 when 36 people were killed in Riyadh.

Obaid said he only recently decided to reveal the poll results because he felt the public needed to know about them.

"I was surprised [at the results], especially after the bombings," Obaid told CNN. The question put to Saudi citizens was "What is your opinion of Osama bin Laden's sermons and rhetoric?"

"They like what he said about what's going on in Iraq and Afghanistan. Or about America and the Zionist conspiracy. But what he does, that's where you see the huge drop," said Obaid, referring to the bombings that had already begun taking place inside Saudi Arabia at the time the poll was conducted.

He also said he would like to update the poll numbers in the wake of the recent series of terrorist attacks that have taken place in Saudi Arabia.

Forty-one percent said they favored strong and close relations with America, while only 39 percent said they had a favorable opinion of the Saudi armed forces, both results that Obaid also termed "surprising."

"They don't trust their army," said Obaid, who noted that the security forces fared far better.

He noted that less than a third of Saudis polled had a positive opinion of militant clerics, although government-appointed religious figures did better.

The poll showed strong support for political reforms and allowing women to play a greater role in society. Almost two-thirds said they favored allowing women to drive, something they are currently banned from doing.

While support for political reforms, particularly elections, was high, few Saudis viewed liberal reformers with much favor.

Obaid said he shared the poll results -- some of which were published today in The Washington Post -- with members of the Interior and Foreign ministries, as well as the royal court.

Some were "a bit wary" about the questions, Obaid said, particularly the ones relating to bin Laden, but he received support from the government when he conducted the poll.

The margin of error was plus or minus three percentage points.

JTSimon

Re:New Poll Shows Osama Bin Laden Has Wide Support in Saudi Arabia
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 07:29:07 PM »
Lip read Rasheed Wallace during the game and probably see him saying "That's bullshit, that's bullshit"

;D That is what this is.

Montana00

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 09:01:18 PM »
oh of course its against the middle easterns and the poll was done by americans THIS HAS TO BE WRONG. its definetly made up. fuck that. i believe it.

well never touch the saudis either cause we need there oil

mauzip

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 10:22:18 PM »
oh of course its against the middle easterns and the poll was done by americans THIS HAS TO BE WRONG. its definetly made up. fuck that. i believe it.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 06:57:38 AM »
You people are dumb. Wide majoprity of Saudis supported his rhetoric but dont support his actions. How is this bad? All of you are on some either Bush or Bin Laden tip, fuck em both.

I agree with alot of his complaints and what he rails against. But I disagree with his methods and his intended targets
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

mauzip

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 08:36:35 AM »
You people are dumb. Wide majoprity of Saudis supported his rhetoric but dont support his actions. How is this bad? All of you are on some either Bush or Bin Laden tip, fuck em both.

I agree with alot of his complaints and what he rails against. But I disagree with his methods and his intended targets

Actually, most Saudi's don't agree with the policies of their government (or kingdom; I don't know who leads that country) either.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 11:01:23 AM »
Then why doesn't the US bomb them? Oh yeah, Bush and the Saudis love each other.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

mauzip

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 11:11:36 AM »
Then why doesn't the US bomb them? Oh yeah, Bush and the Saudis love each other.

No, the goverments are cool with each other. The Saudian people don't like America.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 11:15:54 AM »

No, the goverments are cool with each other. The Saudian people don't like America.

Well that means the Saudians are oppressed by their government, why doesn't the US help them like they helped Iraq?

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

mauzip

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 11:23:39 AM »
because from america's point of view saudi-arabia has a good government. also in my point of view.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2004, 07:48:10 PM »
because from america's point of view saudi-arabia has a good government. also in my point of view.

The Saudi government is possibly the worst in the entire Middle East to me. They're still a Monarchy, a system which should have died out years ago.

Paris

Deaths Design

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2004, 10:30:42 PM »

Corporal and Capital Punishment
Saudi Arabia is one of a number of countries where courts continue to impose corporal punishment, including amputations of hands and feet for robbery, and floggings for lesser crimes such as "sexual deviance" and drunkenness. The number of lashes is not clearly prescribed by law and varied according to the discretion of judges, and range from dozens of lashes to several thousand, usually applied over a period of weeks or months. Saudi Arabia also still engages in capital punishment, including public executions by beheading, stoning and crucifixion.

In 2002, the United Nations Committee against Torture criticised Saudi Arabia over the amputations and floggings it carries out under its interpretation of Sharia. The Saudi delegation responded defending "legal traditions" held since the inception of Islam 1400 years ago and rejected interference in its legal system.

[edit]
Women's Rights
By western standards Saudi women face severe discrimination in many aspects of their lives, including the family, education, employment, and the justice system. It is one of the worst countries in the world for equality of the sexes. Religious police enforces a modesty code of dress and institutions from schools to ministries are gender-segregated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Saudi_Arabia

Now just shut the fuck up

Deaths Design

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2004, 10:31:45 PM »
^ Taliban?

Woodrow

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2004, 03:09:16 PM »
Imagine the figures before the Riyadh attacks...