Author Topic: Kool G Rap - Giacanna Stories Review/Thoughts  (Read 842 times)

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
Kool G Rap - Giacanna Stories Review/Thoughts
« on: December 03, 2001, 06:27:44 AM »
Well... I don't know about y'all but i've been waiting to hear this stuff since the ads like a year or so ago...

01  3:58   how it feel feat havoc            
02  3:34   the streets                                
03  4:37   wit y'all feat jinx da juvy                
04  3:58   this is my life feat. cnn                    
05  5:17   y'all niggas - feat. black gorilla fam            
06  3:10   this means war                          
07  4:45   holler back feat. nas and az                
08  3:25   thug for life                      
09  3:48   ordinary love                            
10  4:42   she's dressed to kill            
11  3:42   thug out                      
12  4:14   only the good die young                        
13  3:23   g rap is a villian            
14  3:43   why you gotta do it like that
15  3:59   get em up now            
16  3:07   first nigga (dj premier remix)    
17  4:19   keep goin feat. snoop      
18  3:53   where you at feat. prodigy  

some of the track names could be wrong? but whatever... im glad i get to hear this shit!

"How It Feel" feat. Havoc is blazin... this is how Mobb's album should've sounded!  dope production that has to be Havoc.. and Havoc sounds dope on the mic even though he's outshined by G Rap.

"The Streets" we've all heard... good track... although I still don't like the hook at all.

"Wit Y'all" feat. Jinx Da Juvy, i haven't heard Jinx much before but he sounds pretty good on this... someone hook me up with titles for other joints if he has some... he flows pretty nice.  the production is good, not great.

"This Is My Life Remix" feat. CNN ... wow... they ruined this song.... I'm not even talking about CNN.. I love the OG of this and even the remix on the CDS is dope.. this remix has a different, wack beat... and a wack fucking hook with some bitch singing... I was hyped about this album until I heard this... this has somewhat dulled my enthusiasm.. I'm glad I have the real my life to burn on this instead while I wait for the album to come out.

Y'all Niggas" feat. Black Gorilla Fam.... nice fast-paced track... I like the beat... I like these Black Gorilla Fam cats... they sound good on this track... i was skeptical but they held their own.  The beat is much doper during the hook.. the hook itself is aight.

"This Means War" G Rap is amped on this track... he's spittin fire.  the beat is good.. at first the strings in the back annoyed me... or at least it sounds like strings? anyways it doesnt bother me now.

"Holla Back" feat. Nas & AZ.... i like how these three sound together... Nas and AZ bring the shit... which you got to when G Rap is on the track...

"Thug For Life" gee, i wonder what this song is about.  good production ... its enjoyable listening to G Rap just spit hard....

"Ordinary Love" feat. someone? I'm unfamilar with a lot of female rappers so i have no clue who this is.  she's not bad, nothing special.  the hook has a chick singing.. but she's good so its okay. G Rap sounds really good on the second verse...

"She Dressed To Kill" ... This beat is bananas! G Rap spits a dope story type rhyme as well... i cant describe it.. its just ill.

"Thug Out" feat. Black Gorilla Fam is kinda boring.. the beat is so so and the guests are annoying as hell...

"Only The Good Die Young" dope flute in the backround... and some nice electric guitar.... good beat... the reason im not commenting on G Rap's rhymes is because of course they're dope.. if you have to ask.. shame on you.

"G Rap Is A Villian" the beat annoyed me at first but its not bad... the chick on the track is alright... at least she doesnt ruin songs. She does have a line I like "you move any closer to this toaster and ima pop tart your brain"

"Why You Gotta Do It Like That"
dope piano/drum track.... some sparse instrument sampling comes in later in the track... but its real well done.... the hook has a crazy vocal/vocal sample....

"Get Em Up Now".... this is like a down south tempo track.... G rap spits in a twista-type speed/style and sounds pretty good doing it.... totally switches on the hook with some r&b cat.... wierd.. but good song.

"First Nigga Primo Remix" y'all heard this by now.... dopeness.

"Keep Goin" feat. Snoop.... dope production.... I don't know who's singing.. but i recognize it... Snoop and G Rap sound fresh together.... this is about as laid back as G Rap gets....

"Where You At" feat. Prodigy... dope beat!  great use of instruments.... prodigy sounds good.. which is much different from the new Mobb album.

anyways... thats it....

I'll burn myself a copy of this with the original My Life instead of the new one... and wait for the retail date to come around.....

overall ratings:

Rhymes: 4.5/5  (its G Rap, dummy)
Beats: 4/5
Originality: 3.5/5  (Thug shit.. but G Rap is the originator)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

teecee

Re: Kool G Rap - Giacanna Stories Review/Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2001, 06:34:35 AM »
Thanx for the review Cliche, the album looks tight, and i am sure the official release will have My Life OG on it, since it is the first single.
  Hey, the song with Snoop has Devin on it, i am pretty sure i heard that somewhere.....

And to all you WCC heads who don't know, G Rap is one of the frist gangsta rappers, he was out when EAzy's first album came out.  His style is copied by EVERYONE, and all rappers from Jay Z to Snoop say he has been a huge influence.  Check him out, he is the originator of this gangster/thug rap.......

Braindead

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2001, 06:35:33 AM »
Who did the beats ?

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2001, 06:41:26 AM »
Word to teecee.. Devin laces that joint with Snoop real lovely...

beats... I know havoc does a few... alchemist hooks up at least one... ayatollah, primo, clark kent i believe... not sure who else at the moment.. i'll post production credits if i can find em.
Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

PLANT

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2001, 09:59:15 AM »
hi-tek has production on this aswell...im pretty sure he did the g rap feat. snoop track...the beat was supposed to be on duces n trayz but it wasnt used...i think?

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2001, 01:13:45 PM »
was this cd just leaked? or has it been available for awhile now?
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

T.J.

• Wanksta
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my deck
Re:Kool G Rap - Giacanna Stories Review/Thoughts
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2003, 01:12:05 AM »
damn..... the tracklisting on my version (bought it from HMV) is different from yours....

1. Thug For Life
2. Where You At ft. Prodigy
3. Holla Back ft. AZ, Tito & Nawz
4. It's Nothin' ft. Joeli Ortiz
5. Drama
6. Thug Chronicles ft. Havoc
7. Blaze Wit Y'all ft. Jinx Da Juvy
8. Black Widow
9. Fight Club ft. Shaqueen
10. My Life
11. Good Die Young
12. The Streets
13. Gangsta Gangsta
14. My Life remix ft. CNN

i think this album is damn near perfect.....

kick ass album