Author Topic: MJ's New Album - My Review ~  (Read 1263 times)

Trauma-san

MJ's New Album - My Review ~
« on: October 22, 2001, 05:38:30 AM »
Alright, Through Various Means, I've Heard An Early Copy Of Michael Jackson's New Album "Invincible" In Stores October 30th.... TRICK OR TREAT, YALL.... LOL...  Here's My Early Thoughts:

1. Unbreakable - 8 Out Of 10 - Nice Appearance By Biggie Smalls, But I Think Mike Needs To Give Up His "i'm Pissed" Persona.  He Still Does A Good Job, and It's Pretty Well Written, Beat Is Alright.  Written By Mike And Biggie.

2. Heartbreaker - 8.5 Out of 10 - Decent Song, Basic Premise Is "I Shoulda Known That Girl Would Be a Heartbreaaaaaakeaaaaaa" ; Nice Little Rap By Some No Name Guy Named "Fats".  Mike Is In His Element Here, Well Written Nice Harmonious Pop Songs.  Sounds Pretty R&B Too, And It Shows Off Mike's Unique Voice (Nobody Alive Can Sound Like Him In A Song, Basically).  This One Was Written By Mike.  

3. Invincible - 7.5 Out of 10 - I Don't Like This Song Much At All.  It Sounds Like N*Sync, And That's WAYYYY Too Pop For Me.  The Beat Is Very Staccato And Broken Up, Which Is pretty Wack.  The Lyrics Are Good, Mike's Voice Sounds Alright, But The Hook "She's Innn.... Vinnn.... Cible" Isn't Done Right, I Think.  I Think It's Funny Though, That Everyone Was Giving Mike Shit For Calling Himself "Invincible" , But In Reality, He Was Talking About A Girl In The Song, LOL.  This One Was Written By Mike.  

4. Break of Dawn - 9 Out of 10 - Now THIS Is What I'm Talking About.  Nice Slow Cut, Half R&B, Half Pop, This Is What Mike Should Focus Most Of His Career On. It's VERY MUCH Like "Human Nature", You KNow, Just SMOOTH SHIT.  Really, Really Pretty And Smooth At The Same Time, Like A Nice Babyface Song.  Great Song, Written By Mike Himself.  

5. Heaven Can Wait - 9.5 Out Of 10 - ANOTHER Slow Song, Which Is Alright With Me.  Harmonies Are Unbelievable... I've Never Heard A Melody Quite Like This, "If The ANGELLLLLs Took Me From This Earth; I Would Tell Em Bring Me Back To This Girl... It's A Chance I'll TAke... Heaven Can Wait" - This Song Is EASILY As Good As Any R&B Song I've Heard On The Radio In 5 Years.  Think A Really Good Boys To Men Song, Like "Water Runs Dry" Or Something.  "If The ANGEEELLLSSS Came I'd Tell Them No.... I Don't Wanna Leave My Babby Aloneeee" Slick Song, Written By Mike And Teddy Riley; Explains a Lot.  Reminds Me Of Mary J Blige's "Not gon Cry" The Beat Is Similar.

6. You Rock My World - 8.5 out of 10 - Yall Have All Heard This.  Nice Song, The Video Makes It Much Better.  Good Harmonies Like Only Mike Can Do, Kind of Simple Lyrics And Beat/Arrangement.  Written by Mike.

7. Butterflies - 9 out of 10 - Beautiful Song.  Mike Is Finally Showcasing That He Has Easily One of The best Voices In Music.  This Song Has A Good Beat, Nice Drums.  You Hear This Shit, You Just Relax... Pretty Shit, Makes You See Your Girl At The Beach On An Overcast Day In Your Mind... A Lil' DJ Work Too, Because There's A Record Cut in There, Nice Effect On A Slow Song Like This.  Like Most Of The Slow Songs, This ISNT A Ballad, Just Nice Slow Groove!  Mike Sings Half The Song Fallsetto (Think Don't Stop Till Ya Get Enough).  Kinda Reminds Me Of Rock With You; When you Hear This Shit, You Don't See The Freak Michael Jackson With The Plastic Nose And Bony Chin, Pale White Skin.  You See A 20 Year Old Mike With A Jericurl...  Great Song.  Nice Arrangement, With Key Changes (Which Britney Spears And N*Sync Will Never See In Their Careers)... Written By Andre Harris And Marsha Ambrosius For Mike.  Great Song, you Can Hear It On www.MichaelJackson.com, And If This Song Isn't #1 When It's Relased, I'm Giving Up On Music.

8. Speechless - 9.5 out of 10 - Mike Breaks All Boundaries.  He Sings The First 30 seconds Of This Song ACAPELLA, No Beat.  Then Strings Softly Come In, To Back Him Up.  Again, NO BALLAD (Those Always Are Overdone), Just A Pretty Song; Doesn't Sound Like Anybody, It's Just A Fuckin' Michael Jackson Song.  You Can't Compare It To Anything, Because Nobody Is Doing This.  This Is The Slick Shit The World Will Lose When He Retires, Because It Just Isn't Comparable To Anything.  Michael's Voice Is Perfect On This Song... Perfect... You Could Not Have Gotten A Better Voice To Sing It, Any Better... Shit Almost Makes You Cry.  "Sppeechless, Speechless, That's How You Make Me Feel... When I'm With You, I'm Lost For Words, And Nothing Is For Real" - Honestly, If You Don't Feel This Song, I Don't Know What To Say.  The Shit On Dangerous Was Pretty, But Not Like This.  Mike Hasn't Written A Song This Pretty Since..... Well, he Hasn't.  It's That Good.  Entirely Written,  Produced, And Arranged by Michael Jackson.  Features Andrae Crouch And The Andrae Crouch Singers.  The ONLY Reason It's Not A Perfect Song, Is Because At The End Mike Says "I Love You" In A Corny voice, So It Kinda Tarnishes It.  Without That, It Coud Have Been The Greatest Song he's Ever Done.  He Sounds Like An Angel On This Shit.  Stunning.

9.  2000 Watts - 8.5 out of 10 - Michael Jackson Does Drum And Bass? WTF?  Yeah, Mike did A Techno Song.... Repeats "Twooo Thousand, Watts, Watts" In The Beat.  I've Never Heard Mike Sound Like This, It's All Low And Shit, This Is The Lowest He's Sang In His Career.  Doesn't Even Sound Like Him... Sounds Like A Man, LOL.  Nice Hook, Just A STRANGE Song, It's All Militant, And Bassed Out.  Crazy Shit. "2000 Watts.... 8 Ohms"....? I Dunno if Mike Can ACTUALLY Sing This Low, Or If They Slowed The Tape Down.   "Three Dimensional;.... High Speed... 3D 3D 3D"  "2000 Watts, Ya Know.... Be Carefull What Ya Say, You'll Overload...." It's Not All Hard, It's Strange, It's Bass And Drum...With A Groove... This Is Like Some Chant Shit... Nuts.  Written By Mike And Teddy Riley.  Would Make A Tripped Out Video...

10. You Are My Life - - Havne't Heard It (Grrrrrr) - Written By Babyface, Mike, And Carol Bayer Sanger.  Features A Choir, And Guitar And Bass By Babyface.  

11. Privacy - 7 out of 10 - Uh Oh.  This Shows That Bad Side Of Mike Nobody Likes, LOL.  You Know, The One That Whines And complains.  You Can Guess What It's Like, And Mike Uses That "Ehh Ehhh!" Voice That Sounds Like He's Pissed And Trying To Sound Hard.  "You Keep On Stalkin' Me... Invadin' My Privacy, Won't You Let Me Be".... I Mean, It's Well Written (As Most Of Mike's Are) But He Really Should Be Focusing His Career On His Voice, And Dance.  This Crap in The Middle Where He Complains About The Problems In His Life Just Doesn't Do It For Me.  This Sounds Like It Was Left Over From History, Because On That Album he Was Extremely Pissed.  It's Sad To See This Song On Here, Instead of The Other Beautiful Songs, It's Really A Step Back.  It DOES Have Good Harmonies, But It's Kinda Half-Step, Like A Little Too Slow.  Has A Rock Guitar Flavor, With A Solo By Somebody in The Middle.. It's Not Slash Though, Isn't His Style.  Lenny Kravitz?  Written By Mike.

Trauma-san

Re: MJ's New Album - My Review ~
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2001, 06:11:58 AM »
12. - Don't Walk Away - 8.5 out of 10 - Pretty Music.  LOL.  Very Sad Though, Sad Depressing Song About A Girl Leaving Him.  Kind Of Mid beat, Not Really Slow, But Pretty.  I Just don't Like Overly Depressing Songs.  Written By Mike And Teddy Riley.  Basically A Begging For The Girl To Come Back Song.  It's Like "She's Outta My Life", But I Never Liked That Song.  Many People Did Though... I'd Bet This Song Will Be big.  Mike's Voice Is Pretty And Gets Better As The Song Goes On.  at The End, The Beat Changes, It's New Sounding Stuff.  Very Pretty.  

13. - Cry - 8 out of 10 - One Of The Worst Songs On The Album, But A Lot Of People (critics) Think It's The Best (Strange).  R. Kelly Wrote It.  I Give Mike Props For Making A Song About Changing The World, Nobody Else Has The Balls To Do that, Because It's So Sappy.  I Don't Really Feel The Song, But He Gets An 8 For Effort.  If You Liked "I Believe I Can Fly" (I Didn't) Then You'll Like This.  NOT My Favorite.

14. - The Lost Children - 8.5 out of 10 - Balls.  That's What Mike Has To Make A Song Like This.  Especially After Being Accused Of Being A Pedophile.  Really Pretty Song About Children, And I'm Sure He Did It For Personal Reasons, And As A Dedication To His Children.  His Son, Who's Now 5 Or So, "Prince Jackson" Even Appears On The Song, You Can Hear Him Playing at The Beach In The Background, During The Middle.  Really Pretty Song, Like A "Goodnight, Sleep Tight" Song... Most Peeps Won't Feel It, And You Won't Play It More Than A Couple Times.  It's One Of Those Songs That Gets Famous, And Will Be a Classic, But Only For Special Occasions.  Actually Contains A Sample Of "The Twilight Zone" Strangely Enough!

15. Whatever Happens - 9 out of 10 - The Santana Song.  Santana Plays Guitar, And It's Very Spanish Sounding.  He Also Does Like A Whistle Solo AtThe Beginning And End.  At The End, He Says "Thank You Michael" And Mike Says "Thank You Carlos".  GOOD Song.  The Lyrics Aren't All that, But The Atmosphere Of The Music Is Great.  There's Whistles In The Bac kground, And High Pitched Harmonies And Keys.  Really Interesting Arrangement, Very Complicated Sounding.  Written By Mike And Teddy Riley.  Good, Good Song

16. Threatened - 9 out of 10 - Mike Does Drum And Bass? WTF?  Yeah, Good Song.  It's Dedicated To "Rick Baker" The Guru Of Special Effects.  This Song Is A Musical Tour De Force, It's Like A New Sound.  Has Chilling, Scary Samples, Sounds VERY Much Like Thriller.  Has Cuts, And Samples, It's Almost Hiphop.  Very Tight.  The Vibe Is Basically "You Should Be Scared Of Me" , But While It's HARD, It's Smooth At The Same time.  It's Like The Harmonies PUSh You Through The Song, Very Strange.  It's All Layered, With Sound Effects, Different Instruments, Very Original... Hasn't Been Done Before At All.  At The End, The  Album Ends With This: "What You Have Just Witnessed Could Have Been The End Of A Very Bad Nightmare.  It's Not, It's The Beginning".  Song's Like Trance Like.  Very, Very Interesting.  Written By Michael.

Conclusion: Very Interesting Album, I Give it a 9 out of 10, because even though it has bad spots, songs like Speechless more than make up for it.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Rud

• Kingdingaling
  • Connected
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2001, 06:19:13 AM »
CHEERS TRAUMA

APPRECIATE IT

ILL COP THE ALBUM ON HEARIN THE PRE-RELEASED TRACKS AND UR REVIEW!!

;)

peace

Westcoast News Network // www.dubcnn.com // Westcoast News Network

engelwood

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2001, 10:22:24 AM »
Hey, I was on IRC and some dude posted up this site:

http://invincible.indiatimes.com/rockwith.htm

Its mike's new album in STREAMING format...

-Engelwood

ps

Thanks for the GREAT review! Im for sure gonna be getting this when it comes out!

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2001, 11:23:35 AM »
yo thanx for the review. its how they should be, i cant wait to get the album and like i got a feeling the album is gonna be quiet good or if they a few funky fresh mj tunes, it could be a classic, but im feelin that critics gonna diss the album as soon it as comes out if they havent started already, even if it is good, cuz they seem 2 shit on him. plus then to many blinded ppl out there will just say read the review and say fuck it and not buy the album, like dangerous. i thought that album had some classic mj tunes in it and it was like for me a going up a level from thriller to a new level for that time and music and then history came out n he was just pissed off on that album and he went back down a level and like this hopefully will bring mj back to the top. plus ppl keep wanting him to come up with stuff like thriller but like he can do that shit easily, he was young when he was writing that shit, now he should try goin a step further with his music and go for better results and more up 2 date music with this album. thats what iom hoping with songs like speechless. i heard unbreakable, which has a good beat but its just ok, like everyone else, i heard rock my world, which is like his old stuff like the off the wall shit, which is good to hear, but really its old for me that type of tune, n i heard butterflies which to me is fresh and funky for a slow tune with mj singin different to what he has done in the past, best song ive heard of the album so far.

oh n thanx for the review man, its fuckin wieghtin

engelwood

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2001, 05:46:56 PM »
Well, It just got leaked on RNS

:-[ :-[

I know that Im gonna buy it.... You should all do the same and support the artists you like.

-Engelwood

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2001, 08:36:22 PM »
Yo when is tha actual release date?

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

Trauma-san

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2001, 08:37:58 PM »
The Funny Thing Is, His Album Comes Out In 7 Days.  He Kept It Off The Net Until 1 Week Before Release; That's Pretty Good.

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2001, 08:57:04 PM »
nice review. I dropped one over at SoHH... I gave it a 10... only listened 3 times... but it's exactly what I was wanting.
Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2001, 09:40:00 PM »
nice review trauma, and cliche i liked your review too at sohh.com

but i'm going to move this topic to the album review section becuase this is where it belongs  8) plus i'll hook up a picture of the cover (if i can find it)

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2001, 08:08:05 AM »
ok i  finally heard this album and im definitely satisfied with it....

if any complaint its the too many slow joints but the slow joints are some of the hottest ones

everyone should go buy this

Trauma-san

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2001, 12:35:34 PM »
Yeah, He's Bringing Heat, I'm so Happy He Got Creative.  This Is Much Better Than History, Probably Better Than Dangerous.  Best Work He's Done In 15 years.

Trauma-san

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2001, 12:36:15 PM »
Oh, and wanna see something scary? If You Look AT The VERY Top, At The Album Cover, Next To His Old Mug, He Looks The Same Again, At Least In That Pic.  

Trauma-san

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2001, 12:37:46 PM »
Haha, DAMN, I'm Trippin' On Butterflies And Speechless.  Unbelievable.  Can't Nobody See That ...

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2001, 02:02:30 PM »
lol you think so? i think he looks like Bjork now

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09