Poll

Which do u prefer when it comes to Westcoast artists?

Underground
12 (63.2%)
Commercial
7 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Underground vs Commercial?!  (Read 434 times)

.:DayGoStyLz:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • MC's...dont wake me...
Underground vs Commercial?!
« on: June 19, 2004, 09:56:44 PM »
Just curious what yall more into. Seems like every poll on here involves mainstream artists only. I know, it makes sense seeing as how u wanna get responses. And people are more familiar with mainstream artists. But, what does everybody really like more?

Me, i bump far more underground shit right now. Mostly San Diego shit. I still listen to Kurupt, n ol Dogg Pound shit, Quik...n all dat. But mainly im playin dat Mitchy Slick shit, Ecay-Uno, Damu....etc.

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:Underground vs Commercial?!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 10:54:59 PM »
underground no doubt

DAYUM

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 01:10:57 AM »
i didnt know we had mainstream westcoast rappers only snoop lol

but anyways the West is the best period i mean im a big screwed up texas fan but shit G-funk over Screw anyday IMO and im from texas so underground west coast shit is my favrite kinda music over anything....

Smoke

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 01:28:07 AM »
Mainstream rappers from the West Coast? Mmmm.. what you mean? Snoop is mainstream, Dre is mainstream, their affiliates are mainstream. The others are all underground. Anyway if your question is: is Killa Tay better than today's Snoop? Yes, he is. Underground for life.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 04:01:08 AM »
how do y'all define 'underground'? I dunno, but I wouldn't exactly call Knoc, Quik or Ras 'underground', to me w/c underground is shit like COS, Killa Tay, Mitchy Slick, Sicx etc. So it's difficult to answer that question, but comparin the shit cats like Snoop, Xzibit and Game are comin out with today to underground releases I'd have to vote underground. Then again in the west's golden era the majority of classics that dropped were by non-underground artists

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2004, 04:20:46 AM »
I like both...but unfortunately it's kinda hard for me to buy underground West Coast albums since they're not that easy to get for some cat from Belgium.
If I lived in Cali, my cd collection would consist of 60% underground West Coast Hip-Hop I think...now it's only about 30%.

mauzip

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2004, 06:36:47 AM »
As far as West Coast rap goes, I like very few underground artists. So I voted commercial :)

Danté Williams

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Diggie Dee aka Tha Preacher
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2004, 08:12:49 AM »
I dont make a distinction. If it's hot then it's hot.

axiom187

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2004, 08:37:23 AM »
i listen to the likes of quannum, the stones throw camp and jurassic 5. most of them are considered underground. ._.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2004, 02:41:16 PM »
i listen to the likes of quannum, the stones throw camp and jurassic 5. most of them are considered underground. ._.

that's totally different from they type of 'underground' shit i'd say about 95% of people votin underground in this poll listen to...stones throw is kind of an avantgarde indy label, so i agree on them bein underground, but J5...naw. Actually they're a nice example of artists that u can neither label 'underground', nor 'mainstream'

...'BfCfC'...

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2004, 02:44:43 PM »

Left Coast

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2004, 02:50:07 PM »

Gotti......Xl

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Thug Life
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2004, 02:58:06 PM »
Commercial
 is better like quik and shit

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2004, 03:50:40 PM »
Yea depends what you call underground....theres the middle-class underground rappers like sly boogy, messy marv, san quinn, chico & coolwadda, krondon, roscoe, etc ... but there is underground leagues above (Ras Kass, Dilated, Liks) and below (Extra Large, N.U.N.E.) that..... in that case I listen to all of them, as well as commercial stuff like Xzibit

« Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 03:53:17 PM by Lil Jay »
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2004, 04:43:03 PM »
i think cats who be new to hiphop, only listenin 4-5 years only pretend to feel underground joints and nothing else cuz it makes them feel like a head when u know some of these fools wanna get down to some real sick party joint or sumat that everyone is diggin, but to me thats just as bad as someone who ignores everything and only listens to most mainstream stuff......

to me, i check abit of everything, underground, the inbetween stuff, which is usually sick and mainstream stuff, since i aint gonna front, can be real sick to, i check everything, i aint gotta problem if something gon be mainstream or underground