Author Topic: Nuclear terror 'matter of time'  (Read 340 times)

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Nuclear terror 'matter of time'
« on: June 22, 2004, 05:20:32 PM »
Nuclear terror 'matter of time'
The head of the UN's nuclear watchdog, Mohammed ElBaradei, has warned of a "race against time" to stop terrorists procuring nuclear materials.
The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency was speaking at a US conference hosted by the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.

He endorsed the influential think tank's new arms control plan.

Under the plan, major nuclear powers would be expected to make concessions in the interests of global security.

We are actually having a race against time which I don't think we can afford
Mohammed ElBaradei
The IAEA director warned there was a real danger of uranium or plutonium falling into the wrong hands.
"We are actually having a race against time which I don't think we can afford," he said.

"The danger is so imminent... not only with regard to countries acquiring nuclear weapons but also terrorists getting their hands on some of these nuclear materials, uranium or plutonium.

"So the sooner that we start, the better for everybody involved."

'Dirty bomb'

The nuclear watchdog chief's message was picked up by the US Senator Sam Nunn, a security expert.

Mr Nunn told the BBC that the security of nuclear material in Russia was a key concern.

He said the biggest challenge was to have US President George W Bush and Russian President Vladimir Putin put the issue to the top of their agenda.

Mr Nunn was instrumental in last month's unveiling of a multi-million dollar initiative to stop extremist groups from building so called "dirty bombs" with nuclear material.

Governments around the world are becoming increasingly concerned about nuclear proliferation particularly since the revelations, in February of this year, that the Pakistani nuclear scientist AQ Khan had passed on nuclear secrets to a number of countries.

'Tipping point'

One of the authors of the Carnegie Endowment's plan, Joseph Cirincione, said the world was at "a nuclear tipping point".

The BBC's diplomatic correspondent in Washington, Jonathan Marcus, says the Carnegie plan is certainly ambitious in scope.

It argues that all current nuclear arms control problems need to be put into a single pot and handled together.

Everyone - both the nuclear haves and have-nots - have to be seen to make concessions if all are to gain.

But our correspondent says other experts in Washington are not so sure.

Political capital, they say, is limited and needs to be focused on individual proliferation, problems like that between India and Pakistan or the continuing uncertainties surrounding Iran's nuclear ambitions.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/americas/3827589.stm

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:Nuclear terror 'matter of time'
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 05:39:24 PM »
Bush's Pyongyang policy 'futile'
By Jonathan Marcus
BBC diplomatic correspondent in Washington

The architect of the Clinton administration's policy towards North Korea has told the BBC the current US approach to Pyongyang is going nowhere.
Ambassador Robert Gallucci stressed the growing danger that North Korea might sell nuclear materials or even a bomb to a terrorist group.

Ambassador Gallucci also urged a fundamental rethink of US policy.

His comments come as a new round of six-party talks on the North Korea nuclear stand-off begin in Beijing.

Proliferation threat

Dealing with North Korea is one of the most intractable problems facing any US administration.

Most experts believe that the Pyongyang government could already have up to eight nuclear bombs.

These weapons, if mounted on ballistic missiles, could threaten many of its neighbours.

But Ambassador Gallucci said North Korea could effectively be deterred from using such weapons and that the principal threat from Pyongyang was that of nuclear proliferation.

"The concern that does, I think, motivate most of the worry in Washington, and should, is that North Korea would transfer material weapons to a terrorist group," he told the BBC.

"The concern here of course is that a terrorist group like al-Qaeda would deliver them to the United States and detonate them in an American city and not be discouraged from doing so by the threat of response."

'Hobbled' US policy

Ambassador Gallucci was the architect of former US President Bill Clinton's administration's policy which persuaded Pyongyang to freeze its weapons programme in return for the provision of power generating reactors.

But this deal collapsed, in large part due to North Korea's actions.

But Ambassador Gallucci says that since then there has been no coherent strategy from the Bush administration in Washington.

Tensions between the State Department, on the one hand, and the Pentagon and the vice president's office, on the other, have hobbled US policy, leading to what he called the most distant of negotiations between the US and North Korea.

Ambassador Gallucci believes that only high level direct talks can succeed and while China's support is important, he criticises the Bush team for effectively-sub contracting Washington's North Korea policy to Beijing.

Such an approach, he says, fails to take into account the very different strategic and regional interests of China and the US.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3831231.stm

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Montana00

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 06:15:32 PM »
you cant stop it.

and its only a matter of time

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 08:37:48 PM »
I agree, just a matter of time.  

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 08:45:45 PM »
Scary.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Sikotic™

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 01:14:26 AM »
It's scary but you know what, there isn't a damn thing any of us can do about it. So live life, and don't even worry about it. At least that's what I'm gonna do.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

-VZA-

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 01:17:03 AM »
It's scary but you know what, there isn't a damn thing any of us can do about it. So live life, and don't even worry about it. At least that's what I'm gonna do.
yeah, that's basically the way to go... if you know the end is coming then we should use this time wisely and get right with God.
Ninja Babes - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NinjaBabes
like women who have abortions... i'm not havin' it.  ~canibus~
bust a nut inside your eye just to show you where i come from.  ~phife dawg~
like a man without no arms... you can't hang.  ~method man~
<--my future wifey

Sikotic™

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 01:58:22 AM »
It's really sad that humans created something that could completely destroy themselves. Just think about it.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 04:34:22 AM »
Didn't Albert Einstein have a hand in it?  And hell, we've been mischievious little boogers since we were created.  

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 04:39:44 AM »
Didn't Albert Einstein have a hand in it?  And hell, we've been mischievious little boogers since we were created.  

he said no human being can be enough dumb to actually use these bombs, so wars will be limited cause everybody know the other country can bomb em, and therefore nobody will do shit. unfortunately, america's dumbness proved him wrong. can you blame him?
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Montana00

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2004, 05:32:30 AM »
It wouldnt be that hard to obtain them either. When the price is right.

Countries like n. korea and russia are not very rich countries from what i understand. selling some weapons grade uranium to terrorists for millions of dollars could very well happen.

Sikotic™

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2004, 04:40:48 PM »

Very true. And we all know what curiosity did to the cat.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Montana00

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2004, 04:43:06 PM »
yea but back then these men who invented the atomic bomb didnt have the knowledge that we have today.

back then ww2 was at its highest point and these men were looking for a way to end the nazis rule over europe. they had no idea of the power that nuclear weapons could yield, until they had created them....

eNgIeS

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2004, 06:08:28 AM »
This is really scaring me. What would be the results of one these bombs going off, i mean how much land can one of those bombs going off effect? are we talking suburbs, city's, states, country's, hell world wide?

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2004, 06:10:42 AM »
This is really scaring me. What would be the results of one these bombs going off, i mean how much land can one of those bombs going off effect? are we talking suburbs, city's, states, country's, hell world wide?
actually Im not informed either, but when these bombs could destory 2 japanese cities big time 60 years ago.. damn. you do the math what they can possibly do nowadays.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin