Author Topic: GHOSTFACE KILLAH - IRONMAN  (Read 768 times)

Siberian_Wolf

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FREE OL DIRTY!!!
GHOSTFACE KILLAH - IRONMAN
« on: October 05, 2001, 10:09:35 PM »
GHOSTFACE KILLAH featuring Raekwon & Cappadonna “Ironman” 1996

All tracks produced by RZA except Fish produced by True Master

This actually isn’t his first solo. Only Built 4 Cuban Linx was all occupied by Ghost so yall know. Ironman was the only WuTang Clan release of 1996, so everybody was feenin to get it. The last of legendary Wu solos went platinum with no problem. This CD was designed to make Ghost one of the frontmen of the Clan and to introduce Cappadonna, who soon after became the 10th member of the group. Yall know that now Ghostface is currently the only member that never betrayed the beliefs of Wu-fans (the most fucked up fans in the whole rap world, actually). His 2nd solo Supreme Clientele was the only one between 1997-2000 that was embraced by love & praise from the fans. But in 1996 Tony Starks was in the shade of Meth, ODB & Raekwon, so he had to push his way up, which he did perfectly.
The guest list in the booklet is all fucked up, so the correct one is here. The song names have mostly nothing to do with the lyrics, but that’s Ghost & Rae, all riddles, ya know.

01 : iron maiden (f. raekwon & cappadonna)
This one starts off with a cut from movie Fresh where a kid starts a conversation with older guy and it turns into beef. The BG is like ‘What can we the Lordz do to a punk like you?’ and the kid stands strong like ‘ Just me & u motherfucker, just me & u. I put trademarks around your ffuckin mouth!’ Then the song begins, a pretty fast one with a horn sample. Raekwon sets a good vibe with aha, aha! Looped over. First verse is Rae choppin it up Gambino style, then a movie sample is interrupted by GFK with verse like ‘Dead on the prosecutor, smacked a juror, me & my girl run like Luke and Laura’. Then Rae lines from his verse are craftedly looped by RZA and then Cappa spits some hard hippo shit like ‘For violating my position I leve u smoked like a crackhead on a mission’. A wonderful colossal song to start an album. – 4,5

02 : wildflower (f. jamie sommers)
The song starts like Ghost is watching a movie where a bitch and her lover get interrupted by her husband unlocking the door. The song starts with a microscopic verse from Jamie, and the  Ghost spits some nasty cosmic shit bout the females. One long verse with lines like ‘I fucked u while u was bleeding, held u down in malls, sexually u worshipped my dick like a cross’ – 3,5

03 : the faster blade (f. raekwon)
This one has a wonderful beat, out of this world, and a Raekwon solo freestyling. I don’t understand half of what he means, and it makes a weird feeling – 4,0

04 : 260 (f. raekwon)
Beginning with a movie cut, this track is trademark Rza minimalism – only a sampled loop with NO percussion. All throughout the song u r waiting for the drums and they never come. Lyrics are some story of drugdealers life. – 4.0

05 : assassination day (f. masta killa, inspectah deck, rza & raekwon)
Again no Ghostface in here, just a good posse cut from the Clan. Again a movie sample with gunshots, RZA loops Masta Killa’s phrase ‘It’s the Assassination Day” and then Inspecta Deck comes with wonderful metaphors and skilled rhyming (if ya didn’t know he represents lyricism and traditional hip hop in the Clan). ‘I clash with the Titans from the half of my action’. Next is RZA himself choppin it up ninja style, crashing your brain with long scientific words that all sound alike so the rhymes come well-crafted. Next is Raekwon all riddled up again (damn, he fucks with my brain), and the last is Masta Killa who is really the star of the song with his calm but deadly style. ‘War is extremely serious and it saddens me.’ Damn – 4,5

06 : poisonous darts
Check this, the first GFK solo song is number 6. Also known as Water Technique, this is a pack of deadly rhymes and screeching sounds on the beat. End is funny: ‘ My heart is cold like Russia, Got jerked at the Source awards, next year 200 niggaz coming with swordz!!!’ – 4,0

07 : winter warz (f. masta killa, raekwon, u-god & cappadonna)
This classic cut from Don’t Be A Menace sdtrk is a posse cut with Raekwon on the chorus with classic line ‘ Yes the shit iz raw comin at ya door, You start to scream out loud WuTangs back for more’.  The beat is again screeching with trademark RZA’s drumbeat. 1st verse is U-God the gangbanger of the Clan, then GFK himself with some bragging, then Masta with some obituarical rhymes. But the star here is Cappadonna who spits more lines then all others combined and gets more frustrated with each line. ‘My repertoire is USSR’ – you betta believe that. – 5,0

08 : box in hand (remix) (f. raekwon & method man)
In fact this is the first time since Iron Maiden that I really LOVE the beat, could listen to it over & over. Somehow I feel it like a rainy melody, you know with water to your knees. Starts with Delphonics singing acapella. 1st verse is Rae all philosophy again, then GFK talks about how murderous he is, and then comes Method Man, replacing Streetlife who was on the original. Metod man comes battling with well-crafted rhymes, like he always does. – 4,5

09 : fish (f. cappadonna & raekwon)
Again a very decent beat. Beats like this & previous can never be copied by a non-Wu producer, bcuz you cant figure which instrument is sampled and what comes from where. A whole body of strings looks like ninja style. Movie cut about drugs destroying your mind in the beginning. Lyrics are all bravado. – 4,5

10 : camay (f. raekwon & cappadonna)
This one of my favorites. The beat uses vocal sample from Teddy Pendergrass. The Clansmen be talking to intelligent girls all throughout the song, using only respectful words and shit, but in the end Ghost comes like ‘Here take my number let me pull the chair from under, I had fun plus your backyard speaks with thunder!’ Damn that’s funny. – 4.5

11 : daytona 500 (f. raekwon & cappadonna)
This one is straightly bangin. Begins with Delphonics acapella like ‘U could never fuck with WuTang Killa Beeeeez…” The beat comes like WOAH pretty fast & Hard. Lyrics are supreme battling with militaristic and Gambino metaphors. Cappas verse is just claaassic – 5,0

12 : motherless child (f. raekwon)
From Sunset Park sdtrk. Chorus is a vocal sample, the beat is pretty simple with no change. Yall heard it. Ghost tells a story of a gunfight. – 4,0

13 : black jesus (f. popa wu, raekwon & u-god)
Starts with a philosophical talk between Ghost & U-God. The beat is EXTREMELY unusual with vocal sample from a Chinese choir from a ninja movie. Lyrics are philosophy mixed with battling, if u can imagine that. U-God is the star here.

14 : after the smoke is clear (f. the delphonics, raekwon & rza)
The beat starts with no warning and its bangin, with fat drums. Chorus is occupied by the group Delphonics. Ghostface is all talent and bravado here, killing us with lines like ‘Readers Digest passed my book to Ron Hubbard’ – fuck them scientologists yall. In fact, every Ghostface verse contains a WOW spot like this, I just didn’t mention it cuz I got used to it. But for a first listener it will be a nail to the brain every time. Rae is second, Rza third. A dope ass track. – 4,9

15 : all that i got is you (f. mary j. blige & popa wu)
This one is considered classic, though its not my favorite. Begins with a movie cut with two kids in jail and one is like ‘What you doin in here anyway? U are to be home wit yo mama’. The beat is justa Jackson 5 sample (don’t laugh, sounds dope)  with NO drums. GFK talks about his mother and difficulties in childhood. A deep song. Mary J is wonderful with chorus & adlibs. Poppa Wu preaches in the end. – 4,5

16 : the soul controller (f. the force md's)
This song comes from somewhere in space, so don’t listen to it occasionally. You gotta sit down and switch everything off cuz its too hard to get. I didn’t listen to this track for a coupla yearz. 3,5
Outro is a large movie cut with interesting metaphors, so check that out too.

17 : marvel (f. rza)
Trademark WuTang beat with RZA closing the CD by lines like ‘We cant be measured by no chart’ – and that’s true, fuck the album sales. A wonderful bonus. – 4,0
Overall its somewhere 7-7.5 out of 10. Most beats here are untouchable, while Ghostface is not at full strength (he reached it on Supreme Clientele). Those who still don’t buy this CD are missing a whole lot. WuTang is another planet, standing above all the rest. So BigJake, don’t be mad at me but you’re somewhat limited. Expand man, expand!

NOW RUN TO THE STORES GO GET YOU A IRONMAN, A SUPREME CLIENTELE AND ADVANCE-ORDER BULLETPROOF WALLETS. GIT THE FUCK UP! N O W !!!

I be one of those tall skinny cats with the four-nine
Three-eleven that rips through Power-U's and breaks spines
I culture power-tuggin' boys who be drunk, buggin'
Lovin' loud noise from toys, club thuggin'
Sweet chocolate deluxe, rugged, sexy buttercup
That don't give a fuck about the cop in the club
RZA in DO U

TheShiznit227

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "We Livin' this shit 'til the day that we die, Survival of the Fit only the strong survive..." Mobb Deep
Re: GHOSTFACE KILLAH - IRONMAN
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2001, 01:02:35 PM »
Nice review homie...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
"One Nation under a Groove, gettin' down jus' for tha funk of it..."

"Rest In Peace to all lives Stolen on September 11th, 2001..." Trey Lawrence III

"Yo, they call me Nas, I'm not your legal type of fella/Moet drinkin, marijuana smokin street dwellah" Nas on "Represent"

Siberian_Wolf

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FREE OL DIRTY!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2001, 08:46:37 PM »
THanx 4 da cover Dogg....

There was a guy that asked 4 this review..

So, where is he?  :)
RZA in DO U

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2001, 10:33:35 AM »
TIGHT REVEIW DAWG.....

p.s....spasibo shto naponiel.......ya davno uze heavn"t bumped it...vmaiom cd shelv....cdz teriautsia tolko tak....lol
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?

Deuce

• 'G'
  • GOOD GOD IS JAY-Z UGLY!!!  RUN CHILDREN, RUN AND THROW STONES AT THE UGLY MAN!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2001, 04:55:58 PM »
Yo' i was gone 4 the weekend, thanks a lot for the review tho' I REALLY APRECIAITE it!

Doggystylin

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2001, 06:16:42 PM »
im not really a big WU fan, but maybe i should start listinen to their shit

Siberian_Wolf

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FREE OL DIRTY!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2001, 11:36:56 PM »
i highly recommend it Doggystylin. Thats a kinda another universe. The problem with the Wu is that each Wu album has 1 or 2 radio tracks, and people judge them by those wack songs. But all other stuff is just another dimension, truly a world of unique people each havin his own chamber.

I'd recommend to start with 36 Chambers & ODB's first, then Meth's first, then Rae's first, then Ironman, then both GZA's, then Supreme Clientele. RZA's solos have nothing to do with a WestCoast fan, and that goes to Deck & U'God too. Meth's second is too dark for you, ODB's second - way too crazy. But anyway check their shit out.
RZA in DO U

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2001, 06:39:44 PM »
Nice review.

Very good album, but not quite as strong as Cuban Linx or Liquid Swords.

Doggystylin', if you gonna get into Wu, buy 36 Chambers first. After that, buy either Cuban Linx or Liquid Swords. Better yet, just buy all 3 damn albums. You cant go wrong with any of them.
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

Doggystylin

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2001, 06:59:08 PM »
NICE, thanx to both of you, nice lookin out.

and yeah ima do that

and again i appreciate this

Siberian_Wolf

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FREE OL DIRTY!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2001, 11:52:06 PM »
"WE MUST EXPAND... GET MORE PUPILS... SO THAT THE KNOWLEDGE WILL SPREAD!"

- from Wu-Tang Forever
RZA in DO U

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2001, 09:28:20 PM »
man that's fucked up doggystylin..how come when i was preachin about the Wu,you didn't listen? LOL i'm damn near done with wu now because
1.uncontrolled substance/wu tang forever-weeeeeeak...i mean they were okay but compared to classic wu...weeeeeeeeeeeeaaaak...disappointmens
2.sohh.com forum dickrides them so much....they put them above NWA!!! so i got tired of wu thru that too..but get 36 chambers,tical,return to 36,supreme clientele,cuban linx and i still need to get liquid swords...
liquid swords and death certificate are some albums i've wanted since forever but they're so FUCKING expensive!!!!!!

Shit..LOL.peace-Tanjint

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

verbalassaulta

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2001, 01:06:50 PM »
whoever recomened the wu albums to get was right on point...  and i happen to be a more westcoast fan...hate to say it, but they are above nwa....taking nothing away from them..but hey this is the wutang clan we are talking about.

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2001, 03:38:17 PM »
Hell yea Wu Tang is better than NWA. NWA made ONE classic album and lyrically, besides Cube, they were very average. The Wu have some of the best lyricists in hip hop, and 3 classic albums [36 Chambers, Liquid Swords, Cuban Linx].
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

SugeFight

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2001, 07:55:50 PM »
Hell yea Wu Tang is better than NWA. NWA made ONE classic album and lyrically, besides Cube, they were very average. The Wu have some of the best lyricists in hip hop, and 3 classic albums [36 Chambers, Liquid Swords, Cuban Linx]. >>

Sure--Wu Tang may speak gibberish that internet nerds find insightful, but if you want to speak MUSIC QUALITY (and this is music, not poetry last time i checked) NWA is both better and had a bigger impact on music.

Oh yah-and I do like Wu Tang :)