Author Topic: so...what do y'all listen to except hiphop??  (Read 567 times)

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
so...what do y'all listen to except hiphop??
« on: June 26, 2004, 04:54:17 PM »
*Inspired by Luke's topic which ain't the first thread like that on here*

i guess most of u like me listen to hiphop/rap more than to anything else, but also i think most people will put on sumthin else from time to time too...so when u ain't bumpin hiphop what are u listenin to?

Me personally I often listen to funk records, especially P-Funk and and the type of shit that's been sampled by w/c rappers over and over again...then there's sum soul and old r'n'b I'll occasionally listen to, but not alot. Then there's sum triphop I bump onceinawhile, US cats like DJ Shadow and the UK innovators like Portishead. Also I got sum jazz records

Now this might not be the first topic like this either, but i've never seen one, so i was wonderin...

mauzip

Re: so...what do y'all listen to except hiphop??
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004, 05:17:45 PM »
sometimes i listen to pop music or trance music. that's it basically.

West C. Connected

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2004, 05:19:30 PM »
R&B. ;)

We Fly High

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2004, 05:23:54 PM »
listen to dj shadow, got most of his catalog, dark days, privat press, endtroudcing, brainfreeze, product placement, preemptive strike...

i guess im starting to get into the roots of the west coast rap, and trying to dig up some funk. i just went to a George Clinton concert in NYC, and i loved the music, so hopefully i can start getting into more of it.

i dunno, i listen to some old rock from like 8-10years ago.. like Nirvana is pretty good, i love Alice in Chains.. unbelievably dope music

some R+B i guess, not much, i dont even know if you would consider this R+B, more neo soul i guess, like erykah badu, d angelo, jaguar wright, john legend, goapele type shit...  i dont dig the mainstream R+B pop shit.

but yeah i guess not that much else..  took a music class this past year, and pretty mcuh expanded my knowledge on a lot of music, so i hope to expand that, and explore new types soon..

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2004, 05:47:36 PM »
stuff like Placebo.. soft Rock more or less.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2004, 05:53:10 PM »
i like techno, old rock, some new rock, bob marley, some pop,

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2004, 07:14:41 PM »
I love funk music, Parliament/Funkadelic is great. Sly and The Family Stone is great too. I'm a huge fan of Rick James, likewise for Prince. Rush is a great band IMO. I love the Beatles. Bob Dylan is great. Bowie is incredible. Elvis is a great artist. James Brown is great. Hendrix is the most incredible of all.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2004, 07:49:32 PM »
Forgot about lots of other artists. I dig Johnny Cash, Marvin Gaye, The Steve Miller Band, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters. More to come as I think about them.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

smerlus

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2004, 12:45:35 AM »
i've been listening to alot of funk: george clinton, rick james, prince
older (better) r&b: anything from vandross, to Debarge to tony toni tone
and some instrumentals

mauzip

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2004, 12:47:27 AM »
oh yeah i also listen to (old skool) R&B of course :)

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2004, 01:43:33 AM »
like a few others in here, i listen to funk shit like Parliament, George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, Rick James etc etc...also some classic soul...and occasionally some hard house/trance (not so much nowadays, but i have a few records from when i was really into it...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

tim

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2004, 02:06:23 AM »
- death/heavy metal
- jazz
- neo-soul

...'BfCfC'...

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2004, 02:08:55 AM »
uk garage & r'n'b

I`m Wayne Brady bitch!

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2004, 04:50:51 AM »
I listen to many many genres of music !

House : Daft Punk ( If you like funk , then you love daft punk ) . Both their albums ( Homework and Discovery )  are classics !, Todd Edwards ( king of 2step garage !!! ) , Roger Sanchez ( download : Another chance , one of ( if not the most ) beautifull house track !! , Royksopp ( get a hold of : Melody AM , their debut album , verry beautifull and dreamy house ) .

Rock/Pop : Queen ( Chech out a night at the opera and Queen 2 , classics from the 70`s , Freddie Mercury is one of the best singers of all time !! ) Brian Wilson ( creative genius , check out his new album , Gettin in over my head , its a really good record ! I love the duet with Paul Mcartney ( a friend like you ) , The Darkness ( funny rock , music you listen to when you want to have a good time ) , Nightwish ( theater like metal , the lead vocalist chick has a dope opera voice !! ) The Cure ( friday I`m in love , inbetween days and close to me <- you got to check out thoose songs ! )

Throwback

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2004, 06:56:51 AM »
R&B, UK garage, D&B, rock, trance.. any thing not commercial basicly