Author Topic: Liquid Swords  (Read 336 times)

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
Liquid Swords
« on: June 30, 2001, 02:16:57 PM »

On the fifth Wu banger [first four were 36 Chambers, Tical, Return to 36 Chambers, and Only Built 4 Cuban Linx], GZA brings us his lyrical masterpiece, Liquid Swords. GZA is considered by many to be the most lyrically advanced of the Wu, and this album is indeed all about punchlines and metaphors, hence the title Liquid Swords. However, that is not the only thing that makes this ingenius album so great. The subject matter is also very deep, "Labels" is a song where GZA lists off particular label names [such as Arista] and uses them as regular words to tell a story about how the industry is fucked up. "Investigative Reports" talks about the drug smuggling in America, and it doesnt get too much deeper than B.I.B.L.E., a song about how we as a society must change and how religion, if used wrongly, can divide us as a people. On the production tip, RZA comes through, as usual. The great thing about RZA is, he has different types of beats on all the Wu albums but all of them sound brilliant. On Liquid Swords, this is perhaps his darkest production yet. "Killah Hills 10304" and "I Gotcha Back" are two of my fav beats ever, along with "Duel Of The Iron Mic". Most of the important Wu members guest appear on here, making this basically a Wu group album rather than just a GZA album. This was the last true Wu Classic, and is indeed a great album, and is one of my all time favs. Get this now if you dont have it yet!!!

10/10
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

Smooth

Re: Liquid Swords
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2001, 10:28:31 PM »
nice review

i have always loved this album... my 2nd favourite out of the Wu
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
"Nigga what up now?. you act like a bitch, you bound to get fucked, you trick ass snitch!" - Snoop Dogg - "Buck Em"

"Stranded on death row for pumpin slug's in muthafucka's" - Kurupt - "Stranded on Death Row"

Here's a message to the youngsters today,standing by you can die - Nate Dogg - "One More Day"

Battle Record 1-0

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2001, 07:59:02 AM »
i am in love with the wu-tang clan right now and i have been meaning to get this album for a long time but this is the most expensive wu album i see! all the others i see are between 10.00 and 16 or so but this one is fuckin 18.99!! but i've been meaning to get it anyway..i have 36 chambers,tical,cuban linx and return to 36,and supreme clientele so far so i guess this is next.thanks for the tip homey!! peace-Tanjint

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2001, 10:13:04 PM »
I was listening to this album the otherday, and Its STILL my fav Wu album. You can talk all you want about how great 36 Chambers is, but Liquid Swords will alwayz be one of the best albums EVER in my opinion. Everything is on point, the beats, lyrics, subject matter, concept, etc etc. The only thing this album lacks is impact/influence. Other thant that, its flawless. Probably in my top 5 albums ever, along with 2Pac's "Makaveli" and Bone's "E.1999 Eternal"
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

Doggystylin

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2001, 06:31:47 PM »
that was a Dope review hellrazor but can you or anyone else do a deeper review? you know like a track by track one

Siberian_Wolf

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FREE OL DIRTY!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2001, 12:39:03 AM »
Its really not necessary Doggystylin. This album didnt sell as much as All eyez On mE or Doggystyle, but its right up there. Im kinda tired of reviewing right now, so if Ima do it Ima do it in one or 2 weeks. But believe me its like reviewing Doggystyle - plain 5.0 5.0 5.0.

Dont sleep on his 3rd one too - dont blieve the haters, I told yall Wu-fans are mostlu fucked up. Beneath The Surface is nothing worse than Liquid, its just lighter.

peace
I be one of those tall skinny cats with the four-nine
Three-eleven that rips through Power-U's and breaks spines
I culture power-tuggin' boys who be drunk, buggin'
Lovin' loud noise from toys, club thuggin'
Sweet chocolate deluxe, rugged, sexy buttercup
That don't give a fuck about the cop in the club
RZA in DO U