Author Topic: Track by Track Review of Thug Mentality 1999  (Read 782 times)

Sikotic™

Track by Track Review of Thug Mentality 1999
« on: August 22, 2001, 01:10:42 PM »

Thug Mentality is Krayzie Bone's first solo attempt. For his first attempt to be a double album the first thing that comes to your mind is "There will be a 5 or 6 good songs and the other 25 to 30 will be garbage". Krayzie proves us wrong. Almost every track has meaning and a message behind it. He touches many issues like war, smoking weed, struggles, Christianity and many other topics that he and many of us have been faced with today. There are alot of quality guests on the album also like Snoop Dogg, Kurupt, Treach, Mariah Carey, Bone Thugs N Harmony and others.

Disc - One
[/color]

1. Intro (Thug Invasion) - A skit. Krayzie is making a speech about going to war. Nice opening to the album
Rating: N/A

2. Heated Heavy - A track with a fast beat so naturally Krayzie uses that fast flow that put Bone in the spotlight. One of my personal favorites.
Rating: 4/5

3. Paper - As quick as the album starts off fast it slows down with this track. This has an R&B feel and Krayzie sings most of the time. A great laid back song.
Rating: 3.5/5

4. The Messenger (Skit) - This skit is a setup into the next track "Payback iz a Bitch". One thing I must say about this album is that the skits all add to the songs without taking away from the album.

5. Payback iz a Bitch - The title pretty much explains the content of this song. The track also features Bam, a artist off of Krayzies label, Thugline Records. Meaningful lyrics and tight production by Erik "E" Nordquist, what more can you ask for.
Rating:4/5

6. (Relay) Thugline - This whole track puts out and features another one of Krayzie groups signed to Thugline Records. For a all female group they are very talented, I would love to hear more from them.

7. Dummy Man (Skit) - This contains elements from The Candyman. I usually skip it since its kind of boring.

8. Dummy Man - This isn't a horrible track but there is nothing special about it. It lacks emotion.
Rating: 2.5/5

9. Thigz All Ova Da World - This is something you would hear at a club. It also features Treach from Naughty By Nature. Both Treach and Krayzie spit fire on this hot track.

10. Street People - Great beat. I love the piano in this song. Niko sings on this track while Krayzie raps most of the time. A emotional track with Hard hitting lyrics.

11. Pimpz, Thugz, Hustlaz & Gangstaz - This is an All-Star track with great southern production courtesy of T Mix of Suave House Records. This features Layzie Bone, 8Ball and MJG. EVeryone plays an important and successful role in this song. Krayzie and Layzie's harmonious voices and 8 Ball and MJG's rugged dirty south style all blend in perfectly. Five Minutes of quality music.
Rating: 4.5/5

12. Da Bullshit (Skit) - A funny skit about drama between a man and his baby's mama.

13. Drama - A track about struggle and heartbreak in Krayzie's life. You can definitely relate to the chorus. The nice slow beat helps express the emotion.
Rating: 3/5

14. World War - I'm feeling the bell in the beat. This is another one of my personal favorites on this album. Krayzie expresses anger on the song. A Great song.

15. The War iz On - Another All-Star track. Once again featuring Layzie Bone but features West Coast icons Snoop Dogg and Kurupt. Its a smooth beat that flows well with all of the rappers on it. Any westcoast fan like myself would love this song.

16. When I Die - Here is another track that features great artists (Krayzie got the hook-ups fo' sho'). Terror Squad members CUban Links, Fat Joe and the late, great Big Pun put their magic on this song. Another awesome track on this awesome album.

17. Thug Alwayz - This features all Bone members except Bizzy Bone for some reason. Even with the absence of Bizzy this track is decent.

18. Thug Always - This is arguably the best track on the album and best Krayzie Bone solo track I have ever heard. It's a perfect song. A beautiful beat, Krayzie spitting and singing fire and it all goes together perfectly. A feel good song.
Rating: 5/5

Disc-One Average rating: 3/5

I'ma do the other half of the album tonight so stay tuned.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
Re: Track by Track Review of Thug Mentality 1999
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2001, 01:13:34 PM »
thnaks sikotik bles your soul for putting the pic in too  :D

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Sikotic™

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2001, 01:58:36 PM »
Just trying to make your job a little easier  ;)

THA SAUCE HOUSE

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2001, 10:30:22 AM »
 8)Nicely done, Ill defenitly come back 4 tha rest tonight.

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

Sikotic™

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2001, 03:37:20 PM »
Disc - Two

Sorry for the delay, I was gonna finish it last night but I took some Nyquil and knocked my ass out early.

1. Murda Won't Stop (Skit) - A really long skit where Krayzie and friends blast away another guy for dope money and afterwards Krayzie sings a little verse. Its real boring and you would most likely skip it and move on to the next track.

2. Where My Thugz At - A track produced by DJ U-Neek with a very heavy bass. Its a average track compared to the other songs.

3. Smokin' Budda - This is the ultimate weed track. Laid back, smooth beat thats gets you in the mood. Krayzie's melodic voice works wonder for this track. Everyone I know loves this one song.

4. Knieght Riduz (Here We Come) - This track puts the spotlight on yet another group off Thugline Records, the Knieght Riduz. This is a dark, spooky almost evil track (reminds me alot of 'Thriller' for some reason). Krayzie spits a good verse.

5. Try Me - Another good track. I can't say anything bad about it except its just average and doesn't add anything to the record.

6. Theze Dayz - Featuring K-Mont, Asu and Bam from Thugline Records, this track is blazing. The emotion and energy of this song. My favorite thing about this track is the chorus, its off the hook.

7. Silent Warriors - Krayzie on top of his game with this track. Romeo Antonio does a good job supplying the beat. It sounds like something you would hear in a movie about war or assassin.

8. Shoot The Club Up - "If these muthafuckaz wanna see ya nuts, show ya nuts
Let the slugs bust, shoot the club up"

The chorus along with the verses are great. Its about Krayzies night at a club. Real Tight track.

9. Silence - This features Graveyard Shift from Mo Thugs Records. He supplies the chorus and a verse and is successful at it. This track has a very similar feel to "Silent Warrior" (probably because Romeo Antonio co-produces the track). This also has a dark, assassin type feel to it. I'm not complaining though cause this is another great song.

10. Look At You Know (Skit) - Another long skit (I wish they were all no longer than 30 seconds instead of 2 minutes). This guy rapes his girl cause she wouldn't give him none (ya gotta fight for what you want lol ;)). Krayzie gives a small verse while the beat to the Issac Hayes track "Walk On By" plays.

11. Won't EZ Up Tonight - This is arguably the best track on this disc if not the entire album. The beat is dope and Krayzie spits those lightning quick verses where he shines. This is most definitely a 5.

12. Sad Song (Skit) - Its not really a skit. Its a short song, a very tight song I might add. To bad Krayzie didn't add more verses to it. Its about his struggle.
Rating:N/A

13. I Still Believe - This is a collaboration with the one and only Mariah Carey who adds soul to the song. This is a nice slow song.

14. We Starvin' - This features E-40 and Gangsta Boo. This beat uses samples from the theme song of the Soap Opera, The Young and the Restless. E-40 and Gangsta Boo's didn't seem to fit in well with Krayzie Bone though. Probably cause of the style contrast of E-40 and the just plain irritating voice of Gangsta Boo.

15. Smoke & Burn - This features yet ANOTHER artist from...you guessed it, the Thugline Record family, Up In Clouds. This track is another weed song and it has a Jamacian vibe. This song is the only song I would actually call a "filler" song cause its not near the standards of any of the other songs on the album. I would rather hear another long skit then this song. It has no place in this album. Maybe its because it has a different style from the rest of the album but I thinks it should have never been added.
Rating: 2/5

16. Power - The last song was weak and you may think that the album is going downhill but that is far from true. This is a strong track that keeps you on your toes. It features Thug Queen from Mo Thugs Records.

17. That's The Way - A nice upbeat track where Krayzie goes into more detail about his life. There is nothing special about it so I will leave it at that.

18. Armageddon - This is a personal favorite of mine. This is the most emotion-filled track on the album. It features Souljah Boy, Mo! Hart, Thig Queen and Felicia who are all from Mo Thug Records. It deals with the end of the world and the book of Revelation. Usually rappers make Christian songs praising God and telling all the happy things but Krayzie & Co. does the opposite. He speaks on the darkest hour the world will face and warns us to straighten our acts before its too late. At the end there is a bible verse or statement recited about Armegeddon and what will happen. This song is very powerful and the guitar at the end completes the song perfectly, hence the five.

19. Murda Mo - Another tight song. This slows everything down a bit. Krayzie drops his verses in trademark Bone Thug style. As good as this track is the finale and maybe best is yet to come.

20. Revolution - This is also another song that is arguably the best song on this album. It starts off with a statement from Bob Marely's "Time Will Tell" documentary. Then The Marely Brothers do the Chorus.

"Revolution is in my heart
For they tearin' us apart
We've been wastin' so much time
Revolution on my mind
Everyday problems in the world they maximize
Tell me how much blood must be shed before we relise
Things and times get drastic, a revolution is the only way
Stop this eternal warfare"

That is deep. Plus Krayzie Bone spits quality verses. This song is a slept on classic. A perfect conclusion.

Disc - Two Overall Rating: 4/5

In conclusion, it is obvious this is no ordinary double album. It has so much emotion and messages I learn something new everytime. I have honestly listened to this album at least 1,000 times and everytime I get another special experience. Last year I was going through personal and private issues in my life and this album helped me through them because I could relate to many of the subjects covered. Many may disagree but this is a borderline classic if not classic album. Plus there aren't too many albums in 1999 that you could say were much better than this one. I recommend this album to anyone, absolutely anyone. It mixes all kinds of music rock, rap, reggae all into one melting pot and it all blends perfectly.

Overall album rating: 7 out of 10[/u]

Thanks for reading  ;D

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2001, 03:56:53 PM »
Overall album rating: 7 out of 10

or 3.5 out of 5 if you wanted to do it outta 5  ;)

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Sikotic™

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2001, 04:39:22 PM »
Fa shizzle.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2001, 07:50:55 PM »

In conclusion, it is obvious this is no ordinary double album. It has so much emotion and messages I learn something new everytime. I have honestly listened to this album at least 1,000 times and everytime I get another special experience. Last year I was going through personal and private issues in my life and this album helped me through them because I could relate to many of the subjects covered. Many may disagree but this is a borderline classic if not classic album.

Yup, me too It helps u through rough times 4 real.

Anywaz, GREAT review but i wouldve given it an 8/10, cause it is so goddam close 2 being a classic aint it?, IMP it is a classic, but I dont wanna start arguin bout dat, cause Ive done too much arguments 4 one week.

BTW go grab tha Thug On Da Line Album comin out this comin tuesday, dats gonna be on some other level type of shit. Ima make an announcement bout this on tha main board soon.

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

Sikotic™

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2001, 08:08:48 PM »
Of course I'ma pick up Thug On Da Line. I've been waiting for that album since I heard it was gonna come out in June or July.

And I think Thug Mentality 1999 is classic too. The album still amazes me after 2 or 3 years. It was slept on just like The Gift, which is classic too.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2001, 08:28:54 PM »
Nice review. I love this album, probably the most diverse Bone related album yet. I think this is a near classic, 4.5/5

Cant wait till Thug On Da Line drops on Tuesday. Sikotic, let me do the review for that one, yea??
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

Sikotic™

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2001, 09:01:03 PM »
Thats coo. I got a bunch of others I wanna do anyways. I've done 3 reviews on Bone albums so I need to do stuff on other artists.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Doggystylin

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2001, 01:45:29 AM »
this album is dope fo sho!

Sorry for the delay, I was gonna finish it last night but I took some Nyquil and knocked my ass out early.

LOL

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2001, 07:19:52 PM »
Im gonna hear Thug On Da Line tomorrow, and ill probably post a review on Tuesday when it drops. Actually Sikotic, go ahead and post a review also. 2 reviews cant hurt.
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

grimace

• 'G'
  • I know she know, ima dog, but i liked the way she licked my balls. I know she knows, i aint shit, but i liked the way she sucked my dick.
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2001, 11:32:28 AM »
Good review. You either forgot to mention it or you just didnt notice, but track 14 off disc 1, World War; is laced with disses to Twista.

Doggystylin

Re:Track by Track Review of Thug Mentality 1999
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2003, 05:23:06 PM »
very dope review by sikotic, i might give some songs a higher rating but overall i agree. and i agree that everytime u listen to this album u have a new experience or hear new shit, i was bumpin this the other day in class and had to come tell yall this album is not only worth buying once but twice