Author Topic: Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...  (Read 1005 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...
« on: August 03, 2001, 10:03:39 PM »
'Chef' Raekwon 'Guest Starring Tony Starks [Ghost Face Killer]-Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...
This is out of 5.

1.Striving For Perfection-Ghost and Rae discussing a mission before the commensing,it's nice.But not at all corresponding with the title.Great background music which is the beginning of letting the people know this is cinematic hip-hop at it's finest.-3.5
2.Knuckleheadz
featuring Ghostface Killah,U-God
produced by The Rza
-Senseless profanity in the beginning,Stuff they should have left in the intro.The way the beat kicks in is once more:cinematic.Raekwon is hard to hear unless you listen to this on headphones.It's already evident,Raekwon has lost energy and hype since his previous appearances but his flow and lyrics have improved. A relatively simplistic beat,still good,the bass is too heavy at early listens but it grows on you.The bassline's 2 notes are the same 2 notes used on the piano riff to Ol' Dirty Bastard's(also Rza produced) "Shimmy Shimmy Ya". at early listens during Raekwon's verse you are disappointed but his verse gets better with headphones and time. Ghostface saves it to anybody new or old listener,Ghostface quickly illustrates crime scenes while flowing as great as ever and his voice and delivery is becoming more characteristic and unique for the better but his lyrics have lost the constant amazement factor...each line goes out like the next in good form but the lines lack standout factors unlike his "Enter The Wu-Tang" performances.Ghostface is easily the best of this song. U-God comes much different than he did on "Enter The Wu-Tang" but it's not a negative change,in fact it shows his diverse ability. He spouts rhymes like he breathes here,he has many rhymes
per line,his flow is exceptional,his voice is above average,he flows with a laid back drawl which has a nice bouncy effect.Exceptional,but Raekwon and The Rza can do better,still nothing that really takes away from the song as long as you got time and headphones.-4.5
3.Knowledge God
produced by The Rza
-More cinematicism displayed in the beginning of the song.
Mafioso movie music sampled to a great effect. The beat is MILDLY funk influenced with a few funk-esque guitar chords.A Very detailed laid back beat.Raekwon having rhyme conversation,and shows vulneability with his delivery,and very interesting descriptive wordplay.Very good.Nothing that makes jaws drop has appeared yet,but nothing weak in the slightest.-4.5
4.Criminology
featuring Ghostface Killah
produced by The Rza
-This is a disappointment and a triumph at the same time.
The first beat with hype kicks in with an opening mafioso skit continually contributing to the cinematic qualities of this LP.Raekwon and Ghostface Killah rip this track.The melody to the chorus is STELLAR. Very hyped and dope. However the melody that Rae and Ghost rap their verses to is very lacking...not much else to say...it's hard to rate this track with that being said.-4.5
5.Incarcerated Scarfaces
produced by The Rza
-Cinematic rap at its best once more in this opening.The Rza lays a contemplation instilling mildly melodic beat.The sampled drums and bass is fantastic.Raekwon commenses with tremendously skilled microphone tactics. Standout very much so.Perfect.What rap should be.-5
6.Rainy Dayz
featuring Ghostface Killah,Blue Raspberry
produced by The Rza
-Yet ANOTHER cinematic opening,but this is good.
Blue raspberry singing throughout the song is nothing but a positive affect on this masterful song.The Rza lays a great many sounds to this soundscape,great job on his part.Senseless profanity by Ghostface in the beginning and parts of his verse but he is more than sufficient.Raekwon is also good.No drawbacks at all.Amazing.-5
7.Guillotine
featuring Ghostface Killah,Gza/The Genius,Inspectah Deck,
produced by The Rza
-After being disappointed by hearing this very dope beat on Method Man's "Tical" TWICE("Tical","Meth Vs. Chef") with failure of Method Man to use the beat,we finally get to hear this instrumental put to work here.Unfortunately Method Man isn't present.Still everyone destroys the mic.This beat never gets old especially with the wu-tang movie samples present throughout the song giving it a familiar yet fresh Wu-Tang feel.Only flaw is no Meth.-4.9
8.Can It Be All So Simple
produced by The Rza
-An awkward mix of melodies yet a cleaner harder but exceptional take on this classic track.It's already imperfect because the melodies don't mix together well but it's not bad at all.Ghost and Rae come great but fail to match the originals magic.Still stellar.-4.9
9.Shark Niggas[Biters]
-A profane diss-cussion between Ghost and Rae about "biters",if it wasn't for the background music in "Striving For Perfection" i could hardly tell the difference between the 2...good for a listen or 2 i suppose nothing special but not really bad..-2.5
10.Ice Water
featuring Ghostface Killah,Cappadonna
produced by The Rza
This is an awkward original laid back soundscape.
Raekwon and Ghostface Killah are great as usual here but Cappadonna has never been liked by me so he bringss this track down,he's average to me.The beat is all that i listed above but not very dope,you know? But still good just based on Capp being decent,the beat being decent,and Ghostand Rae being dope...-4
11.Glaciers Of Ice
featuring Ghostface Killah,Masta Killa,
additional vocals Blue Raspberry,62nd Assassin
-Another standout track,cinematic beginning to an extent.
Dope melodic beat,Blue Raspberry's singing(she harmonizes with the beat incredibly) is welcome as usual.
Masta Killa's presence is welcome too,he excels here,very dope.Rae and Ghost are mic-nificent as usual.62nd assassin's vocals are also a nice touch.Perfection once more,not much else to say.-5
12.Verbal Intercourse
featuring Ghostface Killah,Nas
produced by The Rza
-Yet another heated heated track. Not much bass which is a NICE change,very laid back,melodic beat.2 beats actually. All verses are great.Nas is a great addition here.
Ghost brings hype to a laid back track with great skill and mastery similar to Goldie Loc's affect on "Give It 2 'Em Dogg" on "Tha EastSidaz"...greatness.-5
13.Wisdom Body
performed by Ghostface Killah
produced by The Rza
-A movie sample of the pimp kind starts the song off...guess what? cinematically.
The beat could have been better,but it's still more than sufficient.Ghostface does a fine job here on talking about a seemingly perfect woman and some of his diaologue to her described through rhyme.Very nice solo.However not a very complete song,short also and Ghost didn't really rip it but still very very good.-4
14.Spot Rusherz
additional vocals Ghostface Killah
produced by The Rza
Soundscape very similar to that of "Method Man" from "36 chambers",after of course a somewhat cinematic opening with Ghost and Rae conversing.Rae tells a quick story of thuggish proportions. Very good story telling but there are some sloppy moments,the song once more doesn't feel complete,still high quality.-4
15.Ice Cream
featuring Ghostface Killah,Cappadonna,Method Man
produced by The Rza
-An east coast look at pimping.Alot more respectful and specific than the west coast style,very original beat and doper than You'd think for lack of melody.36 chamber-ish in ways but it doesn't feel like 36 chambers that much.Cappadonna is disturbingly descriptive,and not all that great,once more he brings down the song.Rae and Ghost are as great as ever.Meth unfortunately doesn't have a verse but he magnificently delivers a chorus and outro rhymes and talking. Great cut,but cappa brings it down.-4.8
16.Wu-Gambinos
featuring Ghostface Killah,Method Man,The Rza,Masta Killa
produced by The Rza
One of the most cinematic openings yet.
Excellent drum break.Nice melodies,could use more though.
All rip it(Rza less then the rest but he's still great).Movie music helps greatly,great effects.Another perfect track.Plenty of hype,and suspense and another example by the Wu-Tang Clan of what rap should be.-5
17.Heaven & Hell
additional vocals ?Blue Raspberry?
produced by The Rza
-Rae and Ghosts delivery and chemistry is at best here but lyrics aren't up to par with the rest of the album (this was made a year before,it was on some sountrack as well
) very deep at times and ?Blue Raspberry?'s singing is very nice.The beat is emotionally evocative and thich and detailed with a good group of good mixing melodies.Perhaps not as lyrically fit as other songs it is still very goodand enjoyable.-4.5
On the CD version of this LP you get an extra track
18.North Star[Jewels]
featuring  ?Poppa Wu?,?Ol' Dirty Bastard?
Not much bass once more very nice touch. Lots of evocative melody.?ODB?'s singing is welcome,opens with a fairly deep conversation between ?Poppa Wu? and Raekwon and then Raekwon goes into a very good verse and there is talking and singing till the end. Good end but it could have been better,Ghost really should have been present for the end.Considering the vitality of his synergy with Rae and Rza throughout the album.-4.5

Indisputably classic,cinematic great stellar production overall.Rae/Ghost/Rae's synergy is great,along witht he rest of the Wu  minus Cappadonna and Nas.Amazing in many ways the consistency of quality and moments of perfection. Not very addictive album but always worth a listen. If only Ghost and Rae would have not only developed like they did but also maintained the hype and mastered skills exhibited on 36 chambers.Either way i can't complain.Don't get me wrong,it isn't even one of my favorites,but the skill,and quality is undeniable.A truly great classic.Not much else to say.-4.9
peace-Tanjint

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2001, 10:07:58 PM »
Dope,it all fit this time. I'm not the mellowman of reviews anymore ]=(. Eh either way reply to my fuckin shit LOL yall ain't hit up that Ol dirty bastard review. >:( anyway..The wu-tang reviews continue.I only have one wu tang cd i haven't reviewed yet now: Supreme Clientele.Hehe,we'll see muhfuckaz...speakin of which LOL
YO JAKE!! Hook the cova/skin whateva the fuck yo ass wanna call it up to this pizniece!!
PEACE-Tanjint
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

westcoastavengers.com

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2001, 01:23:38 AM »
Nice review dawg. This is a great album, many consider it to be RZA's best production. Liquid Swords is my personal fav Wu solo, but this isnt too far behind. I think "Criminology" is a perfect 5 though [you gave it 4.5], that song BANGS!!!
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2001, 04:05:17 PM »
Criminology would be a perfect 5 if the melody that Rae and Ghost rapped to was better,i mean where is that melody? it's just like a timer sound,that's whack.but the melody where the chorus kicks in BANGS! Hm,i just copped Inspectah Deck's Uncontrolled Substance a few hours ago and i'm on the first song,it's good,what do you think of this album? peace-Tanjint

westcoastavengers.com

Fressh_Deini

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • G-Funk
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 02:31:47 PM »
This is a classic album.
If you don't give this 5/5 there must be something wrong with your ears.

Other Wu-Tang classics:
GZA - Liquid Swords
Ghostface - Pretty Tony Album
Ghostface - Supreme Clientele
Wu-Tang - Enter 36 Chambers

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 07:31:04 PM »
This album brings back memories. I nearly shitted on myself when they flipped that interlude from the intro of the 36 Chambers album into a whole song. That's one of the finest examples of sampling ever.

4.5 mics, best Wu solo LP
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels