Author Topic: Its Dark And Hell Iz Hot  (Read 1106 times)

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
Its Dark And Hell Iz Hot
« on: July 07, 2001, 07:46:45 AM »

Intro--This shit is hot right here. X raps with a rugged fury and the beat is just CRAZY. Definatly sets the tone for the album. 5/5

Ruff Ryders Anthem--The biggest hit off the album, this was made when Swizz Beats was actually worth a listen, before he became repetitive and wack. This is a hot joint right here, the same respect that the first song was. The song got played to death, but its still tight. 5/5

Fuckin Wit D--This has one of the hottest and most uptempo beats ive heard. Lryically, its the same ol same ol, but its X's delivery, not his lyrics, that make him good [at least on this album]. The song is on the short sid though. 4.5/5

The Storm skit/Look Thru My Eyez--In this song, X takes a departure from his hardcore ways, and puts a more mellow deep song. The beat on this song is very dark and slow, and X puts more lyrical effort into this one. Perhaps my fav song on the album. 5/5

Get At Me Dog--Didnt like this song too much. The beat is boring, and X's lyrics are the same ol same ol in here. To bad the production wasnt as good otherwise it coulda saved this song, but its filler. I alwayz skip it. 2/5

Let Me Fly--Another great meaninful track. The beat is kinda sad/tragic, but still dark, and you can feel X's pain on this one. Overall, a nice song and one of the better ones on the album. 4/5

X is Coming--This song is quite controversial, for me at least. While the beat is ill, and X spits some hard lyrics, some of the things he says in here are just UNWARRENTED, such as the rape reference. I often skip this song, sometimes I dont. 3/5

Damien--This is a nice track, about X and his inner conscience. Kinda like a double personality type deal. X wants to do right, but his inner conscience has made him a brutal killer/criminal. Good track overall. 4/5

How Its Goin Down--This is a laidback track about X and his lady, and about a ex-boyfriend that treated her wrong. Just listen.......5/5

Mickey/Crime Story--I think this track is aight, X tells a nice story, but the production puts me to sleep. Its pretty much the same old X, nothing special here. 3/5

Stop Being Greedy--Nice track. The beat is very fast paced, and the subject matter is pretty self explanatory. X should do more songs like this rather than rapping about how hard he is all the time. 4/5

ATF--Hardcore X track here, nice beat......good song to get hyped up to. 4/5

For My Dogs--I luv this beat, one of the best on the album. The song has meaning too, X drops a nice verse. There was, however, no need for all the extra guest appeances. 4.5/5

I Can Feel It--This was sampled from Phil Collins's "In The Air Tonight", and perhaps it coulda been sampled better so it wasnt so obvious. X does come nice though, and its a change from his hardcore feel. 4/5

Prayer skit/The Convo--Perhaps the deepest song on the album. X talks about his struggles and wishes to become a rapper and change his life for the better, but still finds himself in knee deep trouble. He has a conversation with God in this song throughout, and the track is crafted beatifully. Nice production too. 5/5

Niggaz Done Started Something--I like the beat, but the Lox and Mase shoulda never been on this track, and X's verse was nothing special in my opinion. Shoulda stayed off the album.....2/5

All in all, this is a nice debut from Dmx. MUCH MUCH better than his second and third LP's, both of which were wack in my opinion. With this cd, X put together a nice concept album with character and consistancy, and overall nice production. I find it a pitty that he had to let Swizz "lame" Beats do most of the production on his last two LP's, and most of the songs on those albums were about the same thing. Its Dark And Hell Iz Hot will alwayz be X's best album until he goes back to his more diverse subject matter and uses Dame Grease's production instead of Swizz's. Hopefully he'll go back to form when he drops "The Great Depression" later this year. Many considered him to be the next 2Pac when he dropped this excellent album in 98', but all those notions were quickly dropped when he dropped his second LP. Overall, I dont think Its Dark And Hell Iz Hot is a hip hop classic, but its close..........4.25/5
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

Smooth

Re: Its Dark And Hell Iz Hot
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2001, 11:33:24 AM »
Nice review... i dont really like X anymore but when this cd came out he was dope as hell
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
"Nigga what up now?. you act like a bitch, you bound to get fucked, you trick ass snitch!" - Snoop Dogg - "Buck Em"

"Stranded on death row for pumpin slug's in muthafucka's" - Kurupt - "Stranded on Death Row"

Here's a message to the youngsters today,standing by you can die - Nate Dogg - "One More Day"

Battle Record 1-0

DreSnoop00

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2001, 06:06:48 PM »
nice review...
i thought it was a tght album... its tight for a debut... but then in my opinion x kinda didnt do as good afterwards

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2001, 08:09:53 PM »
it was a tight album when it first came out but now it sounds dated

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2001, 07:10:35 AM »
D's second cd was tight as fukk, i can't understand why you thought is was wack, i really didn't think his third cd was that bad besides the party up track it's pretty tight, good review though i don't agree with you on get at me dogg, i think that shit is classic but that's my opinion, peace.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2001, 09:43:11 AM »
I didnt like X's last two LP's more for the production than X himself. Swizz Beats was aight for awhile but he got too repetitive. But Dame Grease did a superb job on Its Dark And Hell Iz Hot, and thats who X should stick with. I did like that one song on his second LP though, "Slippin". Damn, I wish that song was on his first LP, I think that woulda made more sense.

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2001, 02:28:45 PM »
"Get At Me Dog" was my jam i can't believe you don't like it..."protected by viper stand back" i loved that line...5/5! CLASSIC!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2002, 07:58:12 PM by WestCoastVeteran »

Doggystylin

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2001, 02:03:58 AM »
Yeah X was crazy on this album , and on the next two albums there were a few good tracks too, but this one was almost all good,

Top-Dogg2001

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Stillmatic
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2001, 05:08:35 PM »
I thought this album was bangin. Good review. I'd give it a  4 out of 5 though . I can't believe you didn't like "niggaz done started something".  I thought everyone came pretty tight, even mase brought it. I don't understand why don't you like get at me dog. Plus I felt you overated some songs that you gave 5 to. They aren't classics. They aren't on the level of nothin' but a g thang, etc.
Picture yourself crushin Xzibit with your tough talk,
thats like Christopher Reeve doin' the crip walk.- Xzibit

Suicidal, High I'm smoking so much la,
I saw a dead bird flying through a broken sky-
Nas

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2001, 09:47:59 PM »

I thought this album was bangin. Good review. I'd give it a  4 out of 5 though . I can't believe you didn't like "niggaz done started something".  I thought everyone came pretty tight, even mase brought it. I don't understand why don't you like get at me dog. Plus I felt you overated some songs that you gave 5 to. They aren't classics. They aren't on the level of nothin' but a g thang, etc.

Most of the better songs on here were the ones that werent on the radio. I personally think "Let Me Fly", "Look Thru My Eyez", "The Convo", etc are all much better than Where My Dogs At, but thats just me.

Top-Dogg2001

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Stillmatic
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2001, 09:26:41 AM »
I'm sayin though, how the hell did how it's goin' down get a 5 (classic status).

I love the convo but thats even hard to consider a classic.
Picture yourself crushin Xzibit with your tough talk,
thats like Christopher Reeve doin' the crip walk.- Xzibit

Suicidal, High I'm smoking so much la,
I saw a dead bird flying through a broken sky-
Nas

So Much Style

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2001, 10:24:23 AM »
man yall gonna talk me into downloading this shit..haha for real i got "flesh of my flesh" and i thought it was good wehn i first got it, now it kida sucks
So much style back at it again

Don Seer

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2001, 01:07:46 PM »
this is the only DMX album i've ever bought or heard.
I bought it on instinct.. listened to it twice.. i dont like it at all.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2001, 03:49:43 AM »
wow! the pic got big sorry for that y'all

anyways this album was cool for a year but it's really kind've a novitly ruff ryders anthem was the jam back in the day but now it's overplayed...the only song i can really feel still is stop being greedy

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

RivieraIII

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2001, 02:17:02 PM »

D's second cd was tight as fukk, i can't understand why you thought is was wack, i really didn't think his third cd was that bad besides the party up track it's pretty tight, good review though i don't agree with you on get at me dogg, i think that shit is classic but that's my opinion, peace.

Good lookin' out, dog. You definitely got it right... All 3 of X's albuns were bangin', especially the first  (with the exception of a few tracks)...