Author Topic: Return To The 36 Chambers:The Dirty Version  (Read 784 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
Return To The 36 Chambers:The Dirty Version
« on: August 01, 2001, 08:00:07 AM »
Ol' Dirty Bastard-Return To The 36 Chambers:The Dirty Version

This is out of 5 points
1.Intro-one of my favorite intro's ever,original,funny as hell and sets up some cool themes (russel jones and ol dirty being alter egos,that the album is like a show with an audience,and the wu-tang movie sample at the end talking about creating a new chamber),ODB could have done funnier though,and it didn't have to be so damn long (the intro is longer than most of the songs at 4:47)-4.5
2.Shimmy Shimmy Ya-WUUUUEEYYY!!! the piano riff is the same 2 notes as the notes used on the bassline to "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx"'s "Knuckleheadz" so we know The Rza likes those notes LOL but the song is great ODB rips it is funny and the beat is bangin (The Rzarecta at it again),but there's only one verse that he repeats(like Hennessey N Buddah and Go Away from Tha Last Meal) and in the middle of the song there's a distorted indecipherable mix of Ol dirty vocals that sound funny as hell,and you gotta love it when ODB's voice starts ridng the beat with "Oooo baby i like it raww,yeah baby i like it RAAAWAW!",gotta love it but ODB should have made more verses but fuck it,of course with the 36  chamber style which is the whole theme of this album(strangely enough ODB only says "ass" twice in this song and there's a sample with profanity in it that's not very audible so this song is relatively clean...)IMO this is the east coast Hennessy N Buddah-5
3.Baby C'mon-and Tha hitz just keep on comin,The Rza actually crafts 2 dope 36 chambers style beats that trade off here and there,i prefer the second one it sounds truest to the 36 chambers sound,ODB raps just about as good as he did on "Shimmy Shimmy Ya",he's just rappin about how RAW he is which is cool with me! I mean he just cracks me the hell up with the funny as hell stuff he says with his charismatic and characteristic delivery,ODB is almost always entertaining,when he's whack he can be more entertaining then when he is on point,you can't judge this album on the same standards you would others,not completely different but you have to make a few mental adjustments,great shit,but missing some elements from being perfect-4.8
4.Brooklyn Zoo-Brooklyn ZOO! Another killer ass song,ODB,believe it or not, not always but frequently he can rip it lyrically as well as flow and delivery and voice and all that shizzy.this beat(produced by ODB and True Master) isn't very 36 chambers-ish but you weren't expecting an exact copy were you? well i was LOL everyone was telling me that this album is just enter the wu tang with odb all over it.this isn't the case but the over-all sound is 36 chambers.either way,the beat is cool,original and ODB rips this shit up and cracks you up.read the lyrics or listen to this song when you need some tight rap and a good laugh.but the chorus is repeated alot and if the beats gonna play that damn long they could have put a counter melody or 2,-4.9

dammit they said my message was too long i'll add the rest right now..peace-Tanjint

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Return To The 36 Chambers:The Dirty Version
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2001, 08:01:40 AM »
5.Hippa to Da Hoppa-very tight song,cool 36 chamber ish beat as usual, but with some other types of sounds going thru it as well,ODB holds the mic very well here,and is funny and entertaining,this is quality but the song isn't as addictive or hyped or as ear catching as #'s 2 and 4,still quality stuff,RZA actually has some counter melodies in this so that's always a plus-4
6.Raw Hide-"I wanna let all yall niggaz know tonight that this is that WU TANG SHIYIT!"-ODB,Raw Hide,..hehe,ODB lacks flow and structure here and doesn't rhyme half the time but who cares? LOL he's entertaining,funny,charismatic and all that good stuff here but you wouldn't wanna hear him ranting like this for  a whole song so RZA got Raekwon and Method Man to help Big Baby Jesus out here, Raekwon drops a hot verse,Method Man adds mucho flavor to this,and RZA drops one of his dopest beats,west coastish because the sound of the production is crisper than most of his stuff but still has a 36 chambers flavor but htere's no counter melodies ]=(,but still the beat is bangin,the song is bangin,but ODB was the weakest on the song,i mean he really did need Meth n Rae here,oh and at the end of the song ODB has a little speech and it's FUNNY AS FUCK listen to him really when he's talking at the end you'll bust up..well i think so.-4.8

damnit they said the shit was still too long,i'll add the rest right now. peace-Tanjint

westcoastavengers.com

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2001, 08:02:22 AM »
7.Damage-once more like i said,ODB is a lyricist,i'm pretty sure he wrote all this himself but i wouldn't be surprised if GZA helped him with the lyrics,Gza's appearance here is cool,not bad at all,the beat is real good,some faster pace gritty shit,these are probably the best lyrics from ODB on the album,him and Gza pass the mic back and forth and rip it shaolin style,but not the most entertaining track,just lacks something(not alot but something)like much of this album,but hey over-all quality and ODB makes a recovery from the last track with Gza's help-4.5
8.Don't U Know-cool song,ODB barely keeps his flow here,but at least he has a flow here unlike a good portion of the album, ODB tells a bizarre story of girls in school and is interrupted by some dude with a decent verse, anyway ODB goes back into the song and finishes it pretty cool,if it wasn't about sex and teachers and such it'd be really funny but it's pretty entertaining,RZA lays a bizzarre beat(some high pitch voice ranting somewhat  melodiously is the melody so that's pretty weird,the rest of the beat is normal Rza stuff which is good)to match the flavor of the song,at this point ODB figgaz you're in his world now and it works pretty well-4
9.The Stomp-ODB and Rza produced this track which is why it sounds like a more lighthearted version of "da mystery of chessboxin",the beat is 36 chambers style yet very original ODB shines here,very entertaining,funny as usual,his lyrics are good,his flow is good,his voice is something else as usual, his energy is unlimited,it's a really hyped up track,it's one of those tracks that you like more everytime you hear it,doesn't end too good tho,-4.5
10.Goin' Down-whoooo....this is some other shit.ya know how The Rza has a sound for each of his clansmen? well ODB isn't a complete MC enough to have a preference so i guess him and Rza were just like uuuuh just have ODB rap over 36 chambers LOL which is cool with me i like the flavor alot,you can't have one of the albums with out having the other,this song has almost no structure and is reminiscent of many different songs on 36 chambers especially of "wu tang clan ain't nothin to f wit" ODB goes into all sorts of different things like chants,singing,  few short verses,just ranting, but it works very well,the beat is very dark and sinister yet ODB is lively,crazy,happy,funny and energetic as usual...it's like throwing somebody into a bear cave and they start dancing and yelling all happy like,it has a nice feel to it.very cool,just not conventional quality-4.5
11.Drunk Game(Sweet Sugar Pie)-this is where the album starts to show weakness,from here on most of the songs just have exceptional moments,but hey there is no completely whack songs on this album i'll say that right now
ODB and ethan ryman produce this mock R&B/pop beat(i think ethan ryman was an engineer or some shit on 36 chambers)ODB sings most of this song with rants and all and no structure which is more or less business as usual LOL.this song had a good funny concept going and there is funny moments from beginning to end,but it has a skit flavor to it and skits shouldn't be dragged on for so long,still has alot of funny entertaining moments but it's length is questionable-3
12.Snakes-man, i wish wu tang never fucked with so many second rate affiliate rappers.. RZA lays a bangin beat, i like the pop song sample in the background it adds a nice contrasting melody to the hard thich dense beat,does anybody know what song it is? it's a cool melody.Rza raps good here,as usual,not great but good,the uderrated Masta Killa comes and rips it up as usual,man i'd get a Masta Killa album so fast,yet he's the only wu member who hasn't dropped anything,he has a different kind of flow and style,but he's very intelligent if not he sounds like it with his dexterity delivery and lyrics,i like almost all of his appearances that i've heard and this is no exception,the guy who dropped the first verse was decent but second rate,rza should have made this a strictly clan track,ODB is tight here but not exceptional and not surprisingly he has virtually no structure but oh well,and the last guy who busses here is good but his verse is distorted by alot of other noise,this song is good but has some flaws,could use some work,odb and rza should have spent some more time on perfecting these cuts-3
13.Brooklyn Zoo II (Tiger Crane)-what the fuck??? ODB does most of the lyrics from "damage",very strangely,nothing special from him,he really should have done som new lyrics,for the first time the dark bassy slower soundscape affects ODB and it makes him sound less fresh really,then Ghostface Killah comes and rips shit up,then wtf? the song goes into a lot of samples from other parts of the album,then the beat kicks back in and ODB entertainingly rants for a bit then it goes into the worst shit yet:some recording of ODB in a bar with a bunch of people,there is good moments even in this but over-all this is pretty pointless,this song is 7:20,they should have just had ODB do new lyrics with a moderate length verse,had Ghostface drop his dopeness,and had ODB rant for about a minute or so at the end and left it there and had a good 3-4 minute song but they stretched this shit out..it has moments like every song here but still this had alot of unneccesarry bullshit..-3(if not for ghostface and the tight beat it'd be less)
14.Proteck Ya Neck II the Zoo-this song has alot of hype,the rappers are all pretty talented here but ODB and Rza(who only produces this dope ass beat but not raps) are the only clansmen on this track,this zoo group is just some second rate wannabe wu's but at least they're not all that whack but they should have just had the clan here..there's a wannabe Ghostface here named "shorty shit stain"....how the FUCK you gonna call yourself shorty shit stain??? I mean what if you make a nice song for your girl or some shit, your name still reminds people of crap in your drawers,what if you drop a classic album?(which he won't,trust me)you're still shorty shit stain..that's just dumb.the song also has a messy feel which makes it feel longer than 4:00 like it is which can be a good or bad thing....anyway ODB has a dope flow and energy here,and the beat is a cleaner crisper somewhat faster "protect ya neck",the beat is about as good as the originals beat but the original song is better by a considerable amount,but hey ODB shines,the rest here have either voice flow delivery or lyrics,and the beat is tight so-3.5
15.Cuttin Headz-this is how we all get down....bring back that wuuuuu shit! this beat screams 36 chambers,very dope. ODB is good here,Rza is on this track more than Ol dirty is but hey they both do good here,even tho they don't neccesarily rip it here this song is incredibly enjoyable.There is no real flaws and in theory nothing jaw dropping but just the feel and flavor of this song makes it really dope,-4.8

on the cd version of this album you get 2 bonus tracks
16.Dirty Dancin-RZA lays a low key bouncy soundscape very nice,ODB is very tight here and lackin structure like it ain't no thang LOL which i guess it is, and Method Man adds every thing that you don't get from ODB so this shit is real good...but the beat is simple and meth and odb don't really make your heart stop but still very dope-4.7
17.Harlem World-why he called this track Harlem World i don't know.Big Dore (no name??)produced this tight beat. ODB keeps your mouth watering,he starts off the track just okay and then gets tighter and tighter and then he stops...and does this repeatedly...until in the middle of the song he really starts ripping shit up,the feel to this song is really dark but hype,even tho it's relatively slow...ODB displays almost all his tricks here which is a good way to end.good ending but it'd be doper if he ripped up the whole track instead of fucking around so much...i guess i could say that about the whole album..-4.5

This album is very dope,i listen to it all the time,but i rarely go past track 10,because it gets weaker at points but there is no completely whack songs,all have their moments, The homey Crem said i shouldn't get this album till i got alot more wu so i'd be mentally prepared for this shit but strangely enough i liked it right away,ODB lacks alot but fuck it, he's damned entertaining.Rza made some dope ass beats here, but he made some poor decisions in the over-all orchestration and execution of this album is shaky..
has some great moments.There are some straight dope hip-hop tracks and every track has some thing good for a laugh,if you like wu tang then obviously you will love this album,if you don't you may anyway just based on the tight moments and the laughs,this is some next original shit  but ODB needs more ambition and the Rza needs to be smarter with these things.strangely enough,i'd say there is a classic within these tracks but shit was poorly edited so it's not a classic..i still like it hell of a lot,if you like wu tang or just enter the wu-tang:36 chambers you must have this album...otherwise,if you're not a wu fan than there's a good chance you'd like it but maybe you wouldn't appreciate certain elements of it,but if you're looking for something different,original,funny, and with over-all high quality then you should check this out.-4/5
peace-Tanjint

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

westcoastavengers.com

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2001, 08:03:44 AM »
damn i'm just mellowman the second ain;t i?? yo jake hook that picc cova up bwizzaaaa!! peace-Tanjint
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

westcoastavengers.com