Author Topic: Mr. Short Khop - Da Khop Shop  (Read 1532 times)

Mr_Loc

Mr. Short Khop - Da Khop Shop
« on: April 17, 2001, 05:29:58 PM »

Sup folks, thought it was about time i did my first review so here it is.

MR. SHORT KHOP - DA KHOP SHOP

1. Intro - Just an intro, nothing special. Khop gets released from the asylum.

2. Braveheart - Nice futuristic beat, lyrically its jus Khop introducing himself. "I'm the one they tryna clone/ known to switch reels from tenor to baritone/ and have ya caught up in the terrordome". Cool first track - 4 outta 5

3. Short Khop & Da Brain - The beat on its own aint anything special, but Khop just rips the shit outta this track, droppin jewel after jewel. His lyrics on this will have you repeatedly saying 'Whoa' eg. 'Throw ya white rags in/ you's a has-been/ tired of being short?/ nigga go and mash then". Ice Cube does the hook. 5 outta 5

4. Baby Mama Message 1 (Skit) - Funny interlude, just another triflin beeyatch! Sets up the next track well.

5. Kingpin and Da Kockhound - All about bitches and how we don't love em. This track took a while to grow on me but it eventually did. Kurupt is tight as always ("Bitch bitch bitch bitch make me rich"), Baby S does the hook. 3.5 outta 5

6. One Way To Win - The low point of the album, sounds like Pushin Weight backwards. The beat is horrible so you can't even be bothered to listen to the lyrics. Bad song - 1 outta 5

7. Dey Trippin - Cool Battlecat beat with good guest spots from WC and newcomers Problem Chyld. Dub-C and Khop is a DOPE combination. Hook on this is kinda wack but the track is tight - 3.5 outta 5

8. Baby Mama Message 2 (Skit) - See the first one, not much different. Pretty funny though.

9. Ya Baby Daddy - Remake of Ice Cube's I Ain't Tha One. Khop talks on how he ain't really one for commitment hehehe, funny shit. 3 outta 5

10. Dollaz Drank & Dank - First single and rightly so, this shit is blazin. Battlecat comes with a funky funky funky ass track with a hook provided by Kokane. Khop flows perfect the whole way thru - "Hit ya in the gut with this here/ Know ya can't touch this here/ come run with one young musketeer". I think they brought the funk back! 5 outta 5

11. 2 Of 'Em and The Door Locked (Skit) - Just a skit to introduce the next track. If you remember the Players Club soundtrack and the song My Loved Ones you'll get where the title is from.

12. Flashbacks - Cool song featuring Ice Cube, and yet another Battlecat production, but this beat doesnt really work too well with Khop's style. Its a really dark track, armageddon shit (see: Cube's War disc). Good track, just doesn't really jump out as anything special. 3 outta 5

13. Da Ready Rock - Damn! This shit is way too heated. An absolutley BANGIN beat from Phlossy P which is just perfect for Khop to bust to. "Refs get to whistle-blowin/ All opponents/ Kodak moments/ Pistol loaded/ Hold it for these 1 round niggas/ Interception outta bounds, get clowned niggas/ Not even a first down nigga". what the hell heres another one. "So with Donald Megan or solo/ The LP still rock the aftermath loco/ Bitch take a photo!". Dayum!!  5 outta 5

14. MVPS - yet another West Coast banger, this one features Big Shaq like you've never heard him before. Blaqthoven supplied the beat, and Khop and Shaq just go nuts all over it, the dopest thing is to hear Shaq cussin, he's straight MOBBIN on this track lol
"It's a 7 foot rim bender/ Laker great like Lew Alcindor (Fuck That Nigga!)". Khop continues the hotness with lines like "you can catch us/ Joint blazin - trick look/ point savin - me and bigfoot". 5 outta 5

15. Es Mi Casa - This one cools down the mood of the album, just a laid back track with a nice guitar and piano. Khop sounds dope again, Kokane does the hook in spanish and also busts a verse for you suckers who forgot he rapped too hehehe. The girl singin at the end is cool also. 4.5 outta 5

the album could (and should) end here but wait....
16. My Loved Ones Remix - Damn this shit is wack, it uses a bullshit overused classical sample also used by A-Plus last year. Rhymes are cool but the beat kills it. 1.5 outta 5

Altogether a SUPERB debut album from one of the West Coast's brightest young talents, especially considering this shit has been ready to go since late '99 but got delayed. Overall it still sounds very fresh. Khop's voice is 100% original and his flow is, as he says on Braveheart "Unfuckwithable". Beats are top-notch throughout most of the album, and some songs are just off the scale. I'd definitely recommend this to any fan of West Coast hip hop. Go support this shit!

8 OUTTA 10 DUBS!!!

Sikotic™

Re: Mr. Short Khop - Da Khop Shop
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2001, 12:13:08 AM »
Damn you beat me. I was gonna review it but its all good. Nice review. I just think Braveheart shoulda got a 5 but I agree on the rest.

Once again tight review.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2001, 12:17:32 AM »
Yea...Bravehearts was tha best song on tha album...

Sikotic™

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2001, 01:33:26 AM »
Yeah true that homie.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Mr_Loc

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2001, 07:37:34 AM »
better than Ready Rock? damn! well different strokes for different folks i guess. i thought braveheart was dope, but it only had 2 verses and no real hook, thats why it only got a 4.
oh well, cant please everyone. ;)

Doggystylin

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2001, 04:20:51 PM »
a lot of people thought this was a weak album but i thought it was good, i liked it :)

Sikotic™

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2001, 08:23:16 PM »
Actually it was as good as Da Ready Rock. They both deserve 5's.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

CASHLOCC

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 06:41:21 PM »
IS THAT CD ON CUBE LABEL
R.I.P YOUNG SNOOP

Okka

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 04:25:46 AM »
"Flashbacks" was def. the best track on the album, i still bump it alot...

MIC44

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 01:59:36 PM »
Is there somebody who has a link to download this album?

StevenMarkAss

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 07:22:42 AM »
This is a very underrated album.

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 12:18:44 AM »
Dollaz drank and dank what a summer jam..... I rememebr sineg this shit live in mtl no one down here out in the east knew who te fuck this guy was i was vibing still tho!!

Mic-187

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 04:43:24 PM »
I luv this album. Too bad he never released another one.