Author Topic: thoughts on "soul food" by goodie Mob  (Read 459 times)

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
thoughts on "soul food" by goodie Mob
« on: April 12, 2001, 01:18:59 AM »
1. Free
This is a nice soulful intro that you'll catch yourself singing once you've listened to it enough, it's a tight intro to a tight album *4 out of 5 paws
2. Thought Process
Smoothe song that features Andre From Outkast, who also drops a classic verse at the end of the song this song has a nice laid back funky beat to it also, you'll also catch your self bobbing your head to every drum beat- *4 outta 5 paws
3. Red Dog
this is kind of an awkword skit but gernerally Goodie Mob are sittin around and the "red dog" police officers bust in the door
4. Dirty South
One of the Sweetest tracks on the record Feturing the other half of Outkast, Big Boi. there's nothing really else to say about this song cept is a banger! and every one comes off nice on this *4.5 outta 5*
5. Cell Theropy
Again, one of the sweetest songs on  this record, with the classic chorus "who's that peekin' in my window BLAAAAAAAAAAOW! no body now" it's kind of wierd to hear them say this becuase how conscience they are about violence...oh well it has a nice piano riff to it a nice "real" dirty south fashion beat to it
*4.5 outta 5*
6. Sesame Street
this song is nice, the beat is very soulful but the begining isn't very great they rap off beat til the middle of it kicks in then after that they flow over it REAL nice *4 outta 5*
7. Guess Who
This song is an emotional song about their moms' giving props to the woman that raised them and was "the first to change your diaper when your stomach wasn't calm" the beat forshadows the death of one of the moms and the struggles they went through * 4 outta 5*
8. serenity prayer
a skit just praying to the lord for wisdom and strength
9. Fighting
at first i didn't like this song too much i always use to skip it... but it's grown on me and i'm really feelin it, basically it's a song about struggle "fighting for our spirt and mind" and at the end talks about how they need to stop dying over a coat and to be strong and tells you what goodie mob stands for..."the GOOD dIE Most Over Bullshit",  *4 outta 5*
10.Blood
all i gotta say this is an odd little skit
11.Live at the O.M.N.I
anoter soulful beat, i'm not really cetain what this song is about but it is a pretty damn good song, In my own opinion they don't rhyme that well on the song but they flow it so well that it dosn't matter...dosn't make sence but if you have this cd you'll know what i'm talkin bout this song is deep even though i'm not certain what the main idea of the song is....*4 outta 5*
12. Goodie Bag
another nice beat, oh yeah this album is produced by Organized Noise, anywyas the thing that really does it for me on this song is cee-lo's verse on here like i said before they don't rhyme well but they make up for it with the flow... but he reminds you that "cee-lo will never come weaker, uniquer than most emcees out today" ...*4 outta 5*
13. sould food
another dime of a song, the chorus is tight as hell another song you'll catch singing every once in a while, the only problem i have with this song is that the beat is nice...but it's kinda dark for kinda uplifting song...oh well beyond that the way they describe food in this song wants you wanna get your grub on  afterwords, the chorus is infectious and again they flow nice on this song....*4.5 outta 5*
14. funeral
a one minuite skit where they're at a funeral, where they wonder what they're funeral is gonna be like
15. i didn't ask to come
again another dime of a beat supplied by Organized Noise...the best way i can think of descibing this song is that they flow about a couple of issues and situations and it's another tight song...*4 outta 5*
16. rico
a 7 second skit don't really know what's up with it
17. The Coming
again a nice song were they flow nice well all throw it were they talk about a couple of situations , i don't really know what the message of the song is but above all that it's ANOTHER good song...*3.5 outta 5*
18. cee-lo
cee-lo talking about how the evil the "crackaz" do to the blacks opens their eyes to some things
19. The Day After
one of my personal favorite songs, it has a tight beat and chorus, and yet again, they flow very well through out the whole song and the best way to sum up the meaning of this song is through the chorus " i'm so happy we made it/i knew one day we would/all these years of strugglin'/were never understood/ now my eyes are open and i can clearly see/we didn't die for nothin' cuz we are fianlly free/ i'm so happy" ......"4.5 outta 5

this album is a down south classic and it's a shame that the south's rep is flooded by people like Juvenile and the whole Cash Money Image and not truly talented groups like Goodie Mob, goodie mob's sound is very listenable and they make some valid points about living and this album is filled with very infectious joints... they're not too preachy and   the production by organized noise is far from bad too overall i'd have to give this album a 4.5 outta 5

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
Re: thoughts on "soul food" by goodie Mob
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2001, 01:19:58 AM »
sorry for it being so cluttered i wrote too much about it and had to bunch every thing together to be able to post it all
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

truemaster

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • EL Mas Chingon!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2001, 06:47:28 AM »
Soul Food is fuckin classic!! I wasn't feeling the other albums, but Goodie Mob put it down on their first release, peace!!

"But If You Say Cali Aint Shit, You probably Visited The Valley Little Bitch!"

xz

• 'G'
  • dead disney muthafuckas... 2002 shit
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2001, 07:01:18 PM »
5 mics, and what you talkin bout, still standing was tight, 4 mics.

xz

• 'G'
  • dead disney muthafuckas... 2002 shit
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2001, 07:03:08 PM »
thought process, goodie bag, cell therapy, and sesame street are all 5's

R-CEE

• 'G'
  • dirty south affiliate
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2001, 05:12:52 PM »
im glad to see this,,,there is hope for the hip hop peoples yet,,,classic,,awesome albulm,,,alot of people jus dont understand an albulm like this,,,,
recently i took someone who hates rap music,,,gave them the lyrics to guess who,,,
and by the end of the song,,he was crying,,,amazing song,,,
soul food is the theme song for their music,,,its not about food,,,food doesnt feed your soul,,,,these lyrics feed your mind,,instead of the junk food that is mainstream rap,,,,awesome awesome albulm,,i love it.,,the beats dont stand out to me,,its the lyrics,,all lyrics,,can u feel it?
dont make me pop a slug in this bitch
u fuckin with some dirty south affiliates