Author Topic: Micheal Moore Going To Jail?  (Read 526 times)

Suga Foot

Micheal Moore Going To Jail?
« on: July 15, 2004, 10:34:36 AM »
www.chargemoore.com

National Post
Moore broke election law, student says
chargemoore.com: Filmmaker urged Canadians not to vote for Harper

July 10, 2004

An Ontario-based conservative group is petitioning Parliament to charge Michael Moore with attempting to influence last month's federal election, after the left-wing U.S. filmmaker urged Canadians not to vote for Stephen Harper.
At a Toronto screening of his film Fahrenheit 9/11, an indictment of the administration of U.S. President George W. Bush, Mr. Moore said Mr. Harper "has a big pair of scissors in his hands and wants to snip away at the social safety net that distinguishes [Canada] from [the United States]."

He suggested a Conservative victory in the June 28 election would "be such a blow to those of us trying to get rid of Bush."

As far as Kasra Nejatian, a 21-year-old Queen's University student, is concerned, Mr. Moore broke the law. Specifically, the Canada Elections Act, which states "[no] person who does not reside in Canada shall, during an election period, in any way induce electors to vote or refrain from voting or vote or refrain from voting for a particular candidate" unless the person is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident.

Mr. Nejatian has set up a Web site, chargemoore.com and is asking Canadians to sign his petition -- which he wants to present to Elections Canada, along with a formal complaint. Should Elections Canada pursue the complaint against Mr. Moore, it would be the first time a non-Canadian would be charged under the Elections Act.

"I was tired of this guy going around and telling Canadians about a topic which he knows nothing about," Mr. Nejatian said yesterday. "This guy's propaganda is bad enough in the U.S., but at least there he's not breaking the law. He broke the law here."

Individuals cannot pursue alleged infractions of the Act; only Elections Canada can. However, Mr. Nejatian said he will challenge Elections Canada in court should it not take up his complaint. Mr. Nejatian further noted he was interested only in Canadian signatures -- if only to avoid having Mr. Moore start a "Republican conspiracy" in Canada.

Mr. Nejatian's lawyer, Calgary-based Jonathan Denis, would not comment on the case's merits, but said the law's "clear intent is to prevent foreign interference in federal elections in Canada." This particular section became law in 2000, when Parliament last modified the Elections Act.

The law says anyone who "wilfully contravenes" the Act regulating foreign influence is guilty of an offence -- an important distinction, Mr. Denis said.

"The person's intent is key here. To me, Mr. Moore's comments directly intend to influence voters."

Should Mr. Moore be found guilty of violating the Act, he could face a $2,000 fine and/or six months in jail, although Mr. Denis doubts Mr. Moore would do any jail time.

Reached for comment yesterday, Chief Elections Officer Jean-Pierre Kingsley would not comment on the specific merits of the such a complaint.

"Anyone who wants to bring forth a complaint does so in writing to the commissioner of Canada Elections," Mr. Kingley said through a spokesperson.

Mr. Nejatian, president of Ontario's Campus Conservatives, has been politically active for several years. He ran against and lost to former Liberal Cabinet minister David Collenette in the 2000 election.

"This is the first time I've tried to sue a foreign national, but I think he deserves it," Mr. Nejatian said.

Mr. Moore could not be reached for comment.

? National Post 2004

I'm very interested to see the outcome of this one.

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Micheal Moore Going To Jail?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 10:59:28 AM »
Its gonna be a shitstorm if he goes to jail.

Don Seer

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 11:00:01 AM »
bullshit!

is he canadian? no

your laws dont cover him!

stupid people..

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 11:01:34 AM »
huh... I guess Canada doesn't have the freedom of speech the United States does.

Don Seer

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 11:05:34 AM »
haha... thats not even the point.

its like you saying fuck the queen of england

and us arresting you for treason.... rofl

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 11:31:36 AM »
weird... just weird. imagine him getting arrested. shit... all hell will break loose... just like South Park... only mothers in Canada will be singing... blame America... blame America... weird.

Doggystylin

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 11:38:48 AM »
haha... thats not even the point.

its like you saying fuck the queen of england

and us arresting you for treason.... rofl

LMAO

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2004, 12:02:20 PM »
everybody and their mother says fuck bush and dont vote bush.. why not fuck harper?
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Suga Foot

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 12:04:12 PM »
everybody and their mother says fuck bush and dont vote bush.. why not fuck harper?

Because Harper's never been in power.  So nobody can really say what he would or wouldn't do.

Sikotic™

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2004, 01:25:11 PM »
Some stupid shit.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Ras Kass' Toothpick

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2004, 03:16:11 PM »
He was in Canada when he made those remarks.  'Seer, I can't just go to Britain and break the laws there and be immune from prosecution because I'm Canadian.  He should have obeyed our laws and ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law the last time I checked.
Herb Quote Of The Year[/u]

CalebOhio: I think i can speak for many others when i say my favorite rap artists are white but i still want black artists to be dope. they are chosing not to be. that wouldn't be a likely believe held in a white supremacist group. I want Nas to deliver evertime but he doesn't every time Sage does. so Sage gets my $15 regardless or his status. fuck your status perception and labels you use.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2004, 03:22:06 PM »
lol I still cant believe it's forbidden to talk smack about a politician.

Fuck a Harper. Do not vote Harper. Sue me. Arrest me.

Should Mr. Moore be found guilty of violating the Act, he could face a $2,000 fine and/or six months in jail, although Mr. Denis doubts Mr. Moore would do any jail time.

it aint serious btw ^^^
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2004, 03:22:29 PM »
yea, i cant go to canada, rob a bank, and say, u cant arrest me Im american.....

...'BfCfC'...

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2004, 03:24:29 PM »

eS El Duque

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2004, 04:25:24 PM »
well, i dont like moore anywayz  ;D..fuckin bastard should worry about his own country instead of ours!