Author Topic: Why does so many Americans dislike U.N. ???  (Read 1626 times)

Jome

Why does so many Americans dislike U.N. ???
« on: July 15, 2004, 08:34:23 PM »
I'm asking it as a question, here's the different answers I think might be true..

1. U.S. is a superpower and realizes that U.N. is growing bigger and stronger, and might be (is becoming) a superpower in it's own.
U.S. wants to be THE biggest, and make most of the decisions. Inferiority complex.. ?

2. U.S. likes to act/handle on their own, and does not want a 2nd opinion.
The other 14 members of the security council might cause problems.

3. U.N. is based on the idea of bringing peace to the world.
U.S. will decide this themselves, wether they want peace or war.

4. U.N. have 191 member countries, U.S. thinks this is too much.
This could also interfere if a war should be the topic.

Add on, for or against U.N.. ??

« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 08:36:07 PM by Jome »

Strong Arm

Re: Why does so many Americans dislike U.N. ???
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 08:58:06 PM »
And because the UN was right, Iraq doesn't have weapons of destruction.

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 10:03:26 PM »
The reasons Americans don't like the U.N. is because we foot the bill, every time.  If there's a U.N. sanctioned war, it's American's doing the fighting, largely, and it's Americans paying the bill, largely.  However; when we want something, we have to beg and plead and leave ourselves @ the mercy of piciune little countries who have nowhere near the investment we do in the U.N.... so it's just not worth the hassle. 

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 11:21:42 PM »
But for the betterment of the world, we need to have a bigger role in things, because we are the largest power. We are sharing this globe with 6 billion people, and we can't be selfish, many out there are starving, and need our help. We have our own issues, but in the bigger picture, our problems are not as big as many the world faces. We are so stuck on ourselves though, we think this is the case. The reason the U.N. didn't want us in Iraq is because they knew they had no weapons, and Bush was going alittle power hungry. They said jack shit when we invaded Afganistan. We have to look at would we want, and is it right. The U.N. allowed us to invade Afganistan, and other nations offered help. The opposite is of Iraq, ask yourself why. We talked about weapons. Bush didn't say to the international world we need to invade Iraq so the people can be free of his rule. NO, he said weapons, and the U.N. inspected, and there was no weapons, so what was the U.N. suppose to do. Allow us to invade Iraq just because we want to. They allowed us to invade Afganistan, what more do you want?

pappy

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 11:33:20 PM »
youkno what,  some of what you said is true jome but also what trauma said is tru also.

Sikotic™

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 11:54:54 PM »
Because Americans have the mentality of running things. Kinda like when the rest of the world uses the metric system and America goes "Fuck that, we're using English".

I wish the US would stick with the UN. People are saying that we usually have to pay the costs for the UN, but we end up paying them anyways. We might as well pay and have international backing at the same time.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Don Seer

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 04:41:20 AM »
lol @ fuck that we're using english...

thats not american  8)

Montana00

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 08:45:05 AM »
The reasons Americans don't like the U.N. is because we foot the bill, every time.  If there's a U.N. sanctioned war, it's American's doing the fighting, largely, and it's Americans paying the bill, largely.  However; when we want something, we have to beg and plead and leave ourselves @ the mercy of piciune little countries who have nowhere near the investment we do in the U.N.... so it's just not worth the hassle. 
Yea jome, this is basically the reason why i dont care about the U.N.
Back then the U.N. was an important thing for peace in the world, but nowadays its just not worth it anymore. Whenever a country needs americas help, america thinks nothing about it, and sends troops (and alot for that matter), but its like when we wanted to go into iraq, the un wanted nothing to do with us. Granted there were no WMD, but at the time when colin powell was presenting the case to the UN, nobody knew that. For all anyone knew, iraq did have some, but the UN did nothing. So we said screw the UN and went on our own.

Basically the UN is just a place for little countries to unite, but large countries like America get nothing out of being in the UN except for large bills like trauma said.  If there is a war do you think we really care if we have the support of small countries like the phillipine army by our side?

Sikotic™

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 12:00:37 PM »
lol @ fuck that we're using english...

thats not american  8)

I mean the english system, instead of the metric system.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Montana00

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 12:24:21 PM »
i wish i knew the metric system. cuz i always read shit in KM and so on. then i have to translate it into my stuff so i know what the fuck there talking about  >:(

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2004, 03:51:14 PM »
LOL @ the metric vs. english system. I had to learn both because my dad worked on cars, so foreign cars used metric, and American cars until the mid 80's I think used english, but now they use metric too.

Anyways... I remember our great relation with the U.N. We used to always have the U.N. support what we want, because we would act in what we thought was the best interest of the word. But now, we act for the best interest of ourselves. We don't care about what's best for world peace, but for our security. We aren't suffering. We own over 50% of the world's wealth, actually I think it's closer to 70%, but anyways, we don't have that much of the world's population, but own most of the wealth. We need to help the rest of the world.

Montana00

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2004, 04:17:45 PM »
We need to help the rest of the world.
Why?

GoodLuvn169

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2004, 04:19:34 PM »
Why?
Exactly.  The world gets so pissed off at us, then comes crying back askin for our help.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2004, 04:27:48 PM »
Why?
Exactly.  The world gets so pissed off at us, then comes crying back askin for our help.

As the saying goes... What Would Jesus Do? He would help people, and conservatives that argue about Christian values the loudest should know this. Don't even make me get the Bible in this.

For liberals who agree with the U.N., to preserve peace in the world, prevent a huge war, and to support poor nations that can barely feed their people. The U.N. is not a world government as people believe, it's a group of nations that come together and try to do what's best for the globe as a whole. After all, the U.S. does not compare with 6 billion people, 5 billion of them living in 3rd World nations. We need to help, not be like, we have money, fuck them. There is so much more than our money. Why can't you guys see that?

Jome

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2004, 08:05:25 PM »
As the saying goes... What Would Jesus Do? He would help people, and conservatives that argue about Christian values the loudest should know this. Don't even make me get the Bible in this.

For liberals who agree with the U.N., to preserve peace in the world, prevent a huge war, and to support poor nations that can barely feed their people. The U.N. is not a world government as people believe, it's a group of nations that come together and try to do what's best for the globe as a whole. After all, the U.S. does not compare with 6 billion people, 5 billion of them living in 3rd World nations. We need to help, not be like, we have money, fuck them. There is so much more than our money. Why can't you guys see that?

Real talk, U.N. isn't "a gathering of small countries to feed off the big countries", it's 191 countries, that's pretty much every country..

And U.S. does NOT rank high on the "Rich country responsibilities: Aid" statistics.
They might give the most totally, but if you divide it with "per capita", it's sad reading..  :-X

U.S.A. uses $46 per citizen for aid..
The top 5 aid contribution countries are:

1. Norway - $333 per citizen
2. Luxembourg - $316 per citizen
3. Denmark - $286 per citizen
4. Sweden - $207 per citizen
5. Netherlands - $196 per citizen
18. U.S. - $46 per citizen

U.S. is one of very few countries who actually use LESS money on Aid in 2002 than in 1990.. that should say something.
But some of you will rather use the money on war, instead of helping homeless and starving people with medications, food, etc. right.. ?

« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 08:15:34 PM by Jome »