Author Topic: Why does so many Americans dislike U.N. ???  (Read 1622 times)

Woodrow

Re: Why does so many Americans dislike U.N. ???
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2004, 08:24:51 PM »
So you're telling me that...

$46 X 293 million is less than $333 x 4 million?

I guess I'm not that good at math.

Jome

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2004, 08:32:13 PM »
So you're telling me that...

$46 X 293 million is less than $333 x 4.5 million?

I guess I'm not that good at math.

I'm telling you that $333 per citizen is A LOT MORE than $46 per citizen.
Try comparing yourselves with Monaco or San Marino, I bet that will give Americans a real self esteem boost.. :) (At least until you divide down the numbers to make the comparison fair)

Woodrow

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2004, 02:41:30 AM »
According to your numbers, each US citizen gives 46 dollars per year in "aid"

We have 293 million citizens.

293,000,000 multiplied by 46 equals $13,478,000,000. Thats 13 billion dollars.

Lets take Norway.

According to your Numbers Each citizen of Norway gives $333 dollars per year in "aid"

4,500,000 multiplied by 333 equals $1,498,500,000. Thats 1 billion dollars.

It's the bottom line that counts, and you're nowhere near the US in total amount given.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2004, 03:19:48 AM »
i'm sorry you can call me an ass hole or a heartless cunt,BUT i'm not going to feed and spend 333 bucks out of MY tax money to give to some dirty homeless german dude who probably fucking hates me cuz i'm american.....333 to a homeless dude in IOWA or New Mexico maybe but in my opinion 46 bucks is more than appropriate.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Woodrow

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2004, 04:21:36 AM »
Because Americans have the mentality of running things. Kinda like when the rest of the world uses the metric system and America goes "Fuck that, we're using English".

I wish the US would stick with the UN. People are saying that we usually have to pay the costs for the UN, but we end up paying them anyways. We might as well pay and have international backing at the same time.

Regarding the metric system, The main reason I understand for not adopting it, is that the cost would be prohibitive.

Even if we phased it in slowly, heavy machinery, screw threads, and a bunch of other shit would still be a huge problem and it would take a LONG ass time and a bunch of money to make it official.

The way I see it, It's not too hard to use conversions. If there are 2.2lbs in a kg. Then it's easy enough to use the quick multiply by 11 rule and then multiply by two. So for 52kg it's easy to say that 5 + 2 = 7 so 52*11 = 572 or 52 * 1.1 = 57.2 and 57.2 * 2 = 114.4. So 52kg = about 114 lbs.

For feet to meters, there are a few simple and fast conversions that aren't of great precision, but accurate enough for me. For example, 3m = 10ft, 1 in. = 2.54cm, 1m = 40in. Of course for precision, I would alway use a calculator...

Regarding volume. For a fast calculation, you can simply relate the liter to the quart since when it comes to serving drinks, there's not a great deal of difference. When I need precision, it's easy to remember the numbers I've seen on American Coke bottles my entire life. A 2 liter bottle always says 67.6 fluid ounces on it. This is my base point for conversion since I can gather that 33.8 fl oz is 1 liter.

For temperature, that's a no brainer. 0c is freezing, 100c is boiling. 32F is freezing, 212F is boiling. So 212 - 32 = 180 and 100 - 0 = 100. Therefore it's easy to assume that 180/100 is the ratio. That easily converts to 9/5. Be sure to compensate for the 32 degree shift on the Fahrenheit side.

So what it comes down to is that if you can get through school in any country without understanding that both systems are just really simple. If you don't get it, then go back to school and work on it. If you can remember there's 12 inches in a foot and 8 oz in a cup, then you can remember 3 points of conversion reference and derive the rest.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2004, 05:47:05 AM »

Lets take Norway.

According to your Numbers Each citizen of Norway gives $333 dollars per year in "aid"

It's the bottom line that counts, and you're nowhere near the US in total amount given.

lmao... so America cares more, because they have a higher population? Now that's some bullshit right there.

Norway >>>>>>>>> America when it comes to this. The End.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Montana00

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2004, 08:27:19 AM »
no i think hes getting at this.

Yea those countries pay more per citizen, but thats only because they have less citizens. If they paid the same as american citizens, then they wouldnt be giving nearly as much in aid. (somewhere in the millions i dont wanna do the math). But if we as americans were giving $333 per citizen, then we would be giving ALOT of money in "aid"

Woodrow

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2004, 01:05:51 PM »

Lets take Norway.

lmao... so America cares more, because they have a higher population? Now that's some bullshit right there.

I guess you don't realize the real world implications that 13 billion dollars is more than 1 billion.

Keep living in your warped little world stinky.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2004, 01:51:40 PM »
Oh God  ::)

First and foremost, 333 per citizen is not greater than 42. Also, they give more, that's cool, but in the end, most nations actually love us. Many other industral nations don't, but almost every 3rd world nation is very much fans of the United States. When you think of foreign opinion, most news gives you the other big nations, because to us, if you have money, then your worth our time, if not, we can careless. African nations love us, they admire us. Now Bush has a lot to do with the resent negative opinion of us, I mean unjust wars because he wants too, wars that seem to be against another religion, it doesn't look good. But in the end, these country like what we are doing. The sad fact is though, is they followed the food we gave to hungry nations, and it gets to them, but the sad fact is that by the time it is spread out to everybody, it's only a weeks worth of food to last a month or so. What can be done? Instead of just food aid, help in many other ways. Jesus said if you give a man a fish, he eats for a day, you teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime. Well, for one, in Africa, we can stop robbing the countries there of diamonds, and all there other resources and start paying the people what they deserve for their work and rocks. Also, we can encourage businesses expand, and open up factories and stuff. I know the world is against sweat shops, and I'm not saying sweat shops, but try to have legit businesses go to these starving nations. Plenty of people will be more than willing to work, and African is rich with resources, so it would be cheaper to make things there, even if you pay the people a fair wage. The U.N. can help too, that's there job. Encourage other wealthy nations to help out, we need a worldwide effort to help out the hungry nations of the world. Not just the U.S., but also not excluding the U.S. The U.N. has done many things to help preserve peace, but we need to find away to help the hungry nations, and the poor children there. After all, most children don't survive to see their 18th birthday, mothers are always burying their children. In a world where someone like Bill Gates baths in a solid gold bath tub, it's unfair that families can't keep babies 'cause they are starving. We need more.

Woodrow

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2004, 01:58:05 PM »

First and foremost, 333 per citizen is not greater than 42. Also, they give more, that's cool, but in the end, most nations actually love us. Many other industral nations don't, but almost every 3rd world nation is very much fans of the United States. When you think of foreign opinion, most news gives you the other big nations, because to us, if you have money, then your worth our time, if not, we can careless. African nations love us, they admire us. Now Bush has a lot to do with the resent negative opinion of us, I mean unjust wars because he wants too, wars that seem to be against another religion, it doesn't look good. But in the end, these country like what we are doing. The sad fact is though, is they followed the food we gave to hungry nations, and it gets to them, but the sad fact is that by the time it is spread out to everybody, it's only a weeks worth of food to last a month or so. What can be done? Instead of just food aid, help in many other ways. Jesus said if you give a man a fish, he eats for a day, you teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime. Well, for one, in Africa, we can stop robbing the countries there of diamonds, and all there other resources and start paying the people what they deserve for their work and rocks. Also, we can encourage businesses expand, and open up factories and stuff. I know the world is against sweat shops, and I'm not saying sweat shops, but try to have legit businesses go to these starving nations. Plenty of people will be more than willing to work, and African is rich with resources, so it would be cheaper to make things there, even if you pay the people a fair wage. The U.N. can help too, that's there job. Encourage other wealthy nations to help out, we need a worldwide effort to help out the hungry nations of the world. Not just the U.S., but also not excluding the U.S. The U.N. has done many things to help preserve peace, but we need to find away to help the hungry nations, and the poor children there. After all, most children don't survive to see their 18th birthday, mothers are always burying their children. In a world where someone like Bill Gates baths in a solid gold bath tub, it's unfair that families can't keep babies 'cause they are starving. We need more.
Please use:
's

Who is to say that Bill gates shouldn't bath in a solid gold bath tub?

He's done more for the poor than you even realize. Ever heard about the bill and melinda gates foundation? Dude donates BILLIONS every year to charity.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2004, 02:30:28 PM »

He's done more for the poor than you even realize. Ever heard about the bill and melinda gates foundation? Dude donates BILLIONS every year to charity.

I am well aware of all the stuff Bill Gates has done for the world. Dude is a good liberal, which is why I used him, because if I can bash one of my own, imagion how I can bash on a conservative.

Jome

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2004, 06:19:48 PM »

Lets take Norway.

U.S. give $13.140 mill. to aid.
Norway give $1.517 mill. to aid.

U.S. have 65 times more citizens than Norway, yet U.S. only use 8,6 times more money on aid.
This means that Norway use 7.2 times more aid than U.S. per citizen.
Get it.. ?

Monaco have 32.000 citizens, do you think it would be fair to compare their aid contributions to e.g. Indias 1 BILLION citizens.. ?
No.
Of course you gotta divide the numbers to make the comparison fair.

Do not try to tell me that U.S. could not easily give $500 per citizen in aid, without even TOUCHING the regular Americans income or taxes.
Cut down on that enormous sick war machine of yours instead.
Why don't you pull out some numbers on how many billions you use on wars/military ehh.. ?

i'm sorry you can call me an ass hole or a heartless cunt,BUT i'm not going to feed and spend 333 bucks out of MY tax money to give to some dirty homeless german dude who probably fucking hates me cuz i'm american.....333 to a homeless dude in IOWA or New Mexico maybe but in my opinion 46 bucks is more than appropriate.

But let me ask you this:
If you had the choice to use your tax money on either:

1. Aid - Food, clothes, medications and water for starving/homeless people in development countries.
2. War - Use your money on going to war against e.g. Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.

What would you choose.. ?

First and foremost, 333 per citizen is not greater than 42. Also, they give more, that's cool, but in the end, most nations actually love us. Many other industral nations don't, but almost every 3rd world nation is very much fans of the United States.

$333 per citizen is definitely more than $46 per citizen.
"Most nations actually love us" - Is aid a popularity contest.. ???

« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 06:32:35 PM by Jome »

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2004, 06:35:52 PM »

Lets take Norway.

I guess you don't realize the real world implications that 13 billion dollars is more than 1 billion.

Keep living in your warped little world stinky.

What a moron. Sonned and still not shutting the fuck up.

if 2000 ppl give me 100 bucks, and 50 give me 10 bucks, I pretty much realize the 2nd group cares more for me and donates more money per citizen for me. that's what it comes down to.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2004, 06:13:58 PM »
Ah Trauma

The US owes trillions to the UN. So there goes the footing the bill idea. And the US has the most influence on the UN, and the most power ful voice, thus it packs the most powerful gun. Meaning it will always lead the pack militarily.
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Jome

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2004, 06:35:59 PM »
Ah Trauma

The US owes trillions to the UN. So there goes the footing the bill idea. And the US has the most influence on the UN, and the most power ful voice, thus it packs the most powerful gun. Meaning it will always lead the pack militarily.

Yup, so that leaves us with how many good arguments for U.S. to back out of U.N.. ??
Oh well..