Author Topic: Why does so many Americans dislike U.N. ???  (Read 1668 times)

Woodrow

Re: Why does so many Americans dislike U.N. ???
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2004, 12:29:32 PM »

I'm not going to respond either.

SO long for that, that was 7 minutes.

I merely clarified the question.

I saw you voted.

Jome

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2004, 12:37:06 PM »

Woodrow

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2004, 12:59:29 PM »
I don't see how...

Norway = Homeless person

I don't see how....

50 bucks is 13 times the amount of 20 bucks.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 02:08:38 PM by Woodrow »

Jome

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2004, 02:22:57 PM »
I don't see how...

Norway = Homeless person

I don't see how....

50 bucks is 13 times the amount of 20 bucks.

Do you see how...

Norway = 4.5 million people
U.S. = 294 million people

You don't have to finish high school to see that U.S. is more likely to have more money than Norway.

Woodrow

« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2004, 02:25:03 PM »
Jome, You don't need to break out the personal insults. It's just petty and you shouldn't mix up a debate with your own anger.

I don't think Norway can be considered "Homeless" compared to the US.

Jome

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2004, 02:37:53 PM »
Jome, You don't need to break out the personal insults. It's just petty and you shouldn't mix up a debate with your own anger.

I don't think Norway can be considered "Homeless" compared to the US.

There was no insult.
I just said that anybody can see that you can't compare 2 countries on the same criterias when one of the countries is 65 times more populated.
I do not compare Norway with Monaco's 32.000 citizens, neither do I compare ourselves with India's 1 billion citizens, but size doesn't matter to you.. ?

Let me ask you this:

* You seriously think that every country have the exact same amount of money to spend on military, budgets, aid, etc. ?

They DON'T, and that's why you put it into "perspectives", or use criterias, to make the comparison fair.
That's why U.S. is ranked #8 on the life standard index, instead of #1, something they would have been if you only counted money, and forgot that they have 50 times more citizens than the average country.

I just can't believe why you can not understand the bold part.. ???

Montana00

« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2004, 10:14:35 AM »
I see what jome is saying. But why on earth should america have to match your countries "$$ for aid per citizen"? So your country gives more money per citizen.....

So if a country with 1000 people gave $1000 per citizen...Does that mean that they are better then both of our countries because they gave more per citizen? NO

Bottom line is america has alot more citizens, so we dont have to give that much per citizen. And in the end it doesnt matter how many citizens you have, because the only thing any country cares about is the total amount.

Thirteen

« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2004, 10:37:06 AM »
^^^ good point on the bottom

ok jome here's some situations:

your mother is in the hospital for a lung transplant. you need to raise $60,000 for her stay in the hospital. what you're trying to say is you'd rather have 20 people pitch in $1000 each and you'd be happy because those people are generous instead of 5000 people give $12 each

when your country has been decimated by floods, earthquakes, war, and AIDS outbreak...the bottom line is all that counts. it's good that your country gives more than another country but generosity doesn't rebuild countries, money does

and quite complaing about the situation not being fair, you were gloating that your country was in the top, you're always bragging how your country is the richest, too bad the richest people in your country doesn't add up to masses of people

Jome

« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2004, 11:28:29 AM »
you're always bragging how your country is the richest,

Yeah, you would know.. you've been registered for one day.  ::)

So if a country with 1000 people gave $1000 per citizen...Does that mean that they are better then both of our countries because they gave more per citizen? NO

Yes they would be better.
They give more of what they have.

Back on topic again, I haven't seen a good argument to why U.S. should not be in the U.N. yet, all arguments have been torn apart.

Montana00

« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2004, 12:04:30 PM »
no they have to give more per citzen because then they wouldnt be giving that much money, and then poor countries would think that your being cheap on them.

Jome

« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2004, 12:08:30 PM »
no they have to give more per citzen because then they wouldnt be giving that much money, and then poor countries would think that your being cheap on them.

???
Doesn't make much sense..

Woodrow

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2004, 12:30:28 PM »
The reasoning goes that...

By supporting an organization like this, we are involuntarily supporting dictatorships and/or repressive countries and giving them legitimacy as well as a place to air their hate on an international scale. A "Foxes are in charge of the chicken coop" type argument.

I don't agree that we should get out of the UN, but rather I think the UN needs serious overhauling.

Woodrow

« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2004, 12:45:08 PM »
Typical American arrogance.

So the moment I say something good about my country I'm arrogant, but you can post whatever you want up praising yours?

Human Development Report 2004

Norway holding it down, for the 4th year in a row..  :)

Woodrow

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2004, 12:47:04 PM »
Why are you so concerned with how much each person gives?

Jome

« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2004, 01:09:30 PM »
The reasoning goes that...

By supporting an organization like this, we are involuntarily supporting dictatorships and/or repressive countries and giving them legitimacy as well as a place to air their hate on an international scale. A "Foxes are in charge of the chicken coop" type argument.

I don't agree that we should get out of the UN, but rather I think the UN needs serious overhauling.

Finally some reasonable arguments..  ;)
I do think that U.N. can make these countries better though, U.N. is sanctioning totalistic regimes, they inspect the countries, and they co-operate with Red Cross, "Doctors Without Boundaries", Amnesty Int., and other goodwill organizations, to gradually improve these countries.
Bombing them on the other hand, now that's what creates the most trouble/hate, and leads to even more war.
Take Iraq e.g., they're even worse off now..

Why are you so concerned with how much each person gives?

Not so much about each person, but I think each country should give money according to criterias, like how many citizens they have, how wealthy they are, how high the living standard in general is, how much money the government use on other (maybe even unnecessary) things, ya know..
I'm more peace minded, and when I see countries using hundreds of billions on war, and 1/30th of this on aid, I'm not the only one who get concerned..   :-\