Author Topic: Atrocities of the last 200 years  (Read 2427 times)

GoodLuvn169

Atrocities of the last 200 years
« on: July 18, 2004, 04:05:02 PM »
When i think back to the past 200 years many atrocities commited around the world come to mind.

1) Holocaust

2) The ordered Genocide of the Native American people by the U.S. government

3) The Japanese against the Chinese

4) The treatment of U.S. prisoners by Japanese soilders during WW2

5) Japanese Internment camps

I started this thread so the peole on this boared can talk about these atrocities and the others over the past 200 years.

Sikotic™

Re: Atrocities of the last 200 years
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 06:09:18 PM »
The Armenian genocide: 1890 - April 24, 1915

Over 1.5 million Armenians were exterminated by the Turks of the Ottoman Empire, but since America didn't have a hand in helping/fucking up the situation, no one seems to ever care.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 06:12:24 PM by Sikotic The Dude »
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

GoodLuvn169

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 06:14:25 PM »
The Armenian genocide: 1890 - April 24, 1915

Over 1.5 million Armenians were exterminated by the Turks of the Ottoman Empire, but since America didn't have a hand in helping/fucking up the situation, no one seems to ever care.
I was thinking about putting that one up there but i figured someone would talk about it.  That is definitly one of the worst.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 06:27:02 PM »
The funny thing is that the Israeli govt officially does not recognize the Armenian genocide, despite goin thru one themselves. Close ties with Turkey,
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

pappy

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 06:42:59 PM »
chile under the pinochet regime

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 06:45:37 PM »

basically the same thing, the other way around.
+ how regular japanese citizens were treated in the US after pearl harbor.

btw... is that ^what you meant in nr.5 or is it another story again?
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Sikotic™

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 07:04:15 PM »
The funny thing is that the Israeli govt officially does not recognize the Armenian genocide, despite goin thru one themselves. Close ties with Turkey,

lol. That's really nice of them. Politics and business first I guess.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Montana00

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2004, 07:41:30 PM »

basically the same thing, the other way around.
+ how regular japanese citizens were treated in the US after pearl harbor.

btw... is that ^what you meant in nr.5 or is it another story again?
Yea thats #5.

You could also add Stalin, who as you know, killed millions more then hitler. surprisingly though, is less known.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2004, 08:33:36 PM »
Possibly because it can be argued that Hitler killed millions while destroyiing Germany while Stalin killed millions while building the Soviet Union. Plus, pr-wise a bunch of dead Cossacks and Central Asians isnt as marketable as a bunch of dead Jews/
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Trauma-san

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2004, 08:46:42 PM »
This is on a much smaller scale, and most of yall probably wouldn't have any empathy for it, but the Mormons were persecuted pretty severly by the United States government back in the day.  Joseph Smith was chased out of several states, murdered in jail by a mob,... the Mormons left Illinois late in the season, walking across America... as many as half on those later trips died of pneumonia and starvation, and then the president of the United States sent an army to Salt Lake City to burn the mormon temple down, and kill whoever they found.  That's pretty fuckin' severe.  Brigham Young, the mormon president at the time, buried the temple block and hid all of the members, etc. it was pretty crazy for a while there.  There's a lot of good stories about that trip if you ever look into it, there's this famous story of this man who helped carry the women across the river @ this one particular crossing, and then died of exhaustion as he reached the other bank, etc.

As a matter of fact, the modern notion that Mormons are polygamists arrises from this, because when they arrived in Salt Lake City, so many men had died during the trip, that the remaining men 'married' several wives each so the women would have a home to live in.  Strange solution, but they felt it was a sin to live with a woman you weren't married to. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 08:48:44 PM by SMiLE »

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2004, 08:52:52 PM »
Yes, Ive heard of this Mormon trek. But I heard some shady shit went down. B. Young was scheming and Joseph Smith mightve caught it from one of his comrades?

- Lewis Carroll

Montana00

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2004, 08:58:42 PM »
Possibly because it can be argued that Hitler killed millions while destroyiing Germany while Stalin killed millions while building the Soviet Union. Plus, pr-wise a bunch of dead Cossacks and Central Asians isnt as marketable as a bunch of dead Jews/
yea i agree

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2004, 08:59:48 PM »
Slavery was still going on 200 years ago.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2004, 09:06:59 PM »
the remaining men 'married' several wives each so the women would have a home to live in. 

This was similiar to the justification used for the Prophet Muhamad to have the wives he did. Many of them were widows, etc.

- Lewis Carroll

Trauma-san

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2004, 09:09:29 PM »
Yes, Ive heard of this Mormon trek. But I heard some shady shit went down. B. Young was scheming and Joseph Smith mightve caught it from one of his comrades?

Never heard that one before.  Every account I've heard of goes someting like this:

Joseph Smith had been jailed for 'blasphemy' or 'inciting a riot' or something similar (basically to keep his mouth shut).  He was allowed to write, etc. and had several of his 'revelations' while imprisoned.  Eventually, a mob busted the door down and rushed up the steps to the room he was being held prisoner in; his friend (and later 3rd president of the church) held the door shut literally knocking guns out of people's hands while they poked them through the crack in the door... Joseph's last words were "That's right, hold them back as well as you can" and tried to leap from the window of the room to the ground below, was shot before making it out the window, fell and died.  His friend (who's name escapes me) hobbled under the bed and was shot several times, and Joseph's brother was killed as well in the room.  Brigham was a strange cat but he had no involvement in the mob.