Author Topic: Rape is being used by pro government militias in Sudan  (Read 953 times)

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Rape is being used by pro government militias in Sudan
« on: July 19, 2004, 03:54:07 AM »
Sudan's pro-government militias are using mass rape as a weapon in their conflict against non-Arab groups in Darfur, says Amnesty International.

Girls as young as eight and women of 80 have been raped, says the human rights group, which wants an enquiry into war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Peace talks between the government and Darfur rebels broke down on Saturday.

Aid agencies have warned that thousands could die from hunger and disease in the camps, where civilians have fled.

--------

why isn't any international action taken against sudan all we ever hear is words which has obviously had no effect

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Don Seer

Re: Rape is being used by pro government militias in Sudan
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 04:39:53 AM »

because there is no oil? :(

mauzip

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 05:23:48 AM »

that, + if international action will be taken, muslim extremists will blame the western countries for attacking muslims or whatever reason they will make up.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 05:25:29 AM by Mr. Mauzip »

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 06:56:52 AM »

that, + if international action will be taken, muslim extremists will blame the western countries for attacking muslims or whatever reason they will make up.

muslim extremists blame the western countries for Iraq.

Im sure everybody, even the strongest american patriots, have faced -even if only deep inside- what's going on.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 12:28:28 PM by 7even the Harbinger »
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 08:05:05 AM »
the differences there is overwealming reason to act NOW whereas with Iraq there was no change to the status quo it has become clear the containment was working, however it was at the expense of the iraqi people whose lives havn't now improved as a result we can only hope they will in the near future tho

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

infinite59

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 08:29:48 AM »

Sudan has plenty of oil.  America has been trying to get it's foot in Sudan for years.  Bush senior offered Sudan about 65 million in aid to dump nuclear waste there back in the early 90's.  America has been involved in propping up one political group or another in Sudan for over a decade.  The government changes every several years. 

As far as all the stuff that's been in the media, I only believe some of it.  African American Muslims have in the past travelled to Sudan, and we have some Sudanese Muslims living here in the states, most of them say that much of what you hear about Sudan is lies, that it's true that they are fighting over resources, but that most of the problems are tribal and not religious. 

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 12:24:36 PM »

You dumb orangutan. In the Sudan Arab MUSLIM militiamen are raping African MUSLIM women, and removing the presence of African MUSLIMS from the western part of the country called Darfur. Its ethnic and tribal, and it is occuring within the context of an already existing 21 year civil war.

You too busy getting a tatoo of TQ face on ya ass to pick up a book?
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Sikotic™

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 01:54:32 PM »
Why rape the women? Go after the men you sick muthafuckaz.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 01:55:23 PM »
are they using condoms?

mauzip

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 03:05:39 PM »

You dumb orangutan. In the Sudan Arab MUSLIM militiamen are raping African MUSLIM women, and removing the presence of African MUSLIMS from the western part of the country called Darfur. Its ethnic and tribal, and it is occuring within the context of an already existing 21 year civil war.

You can call me dumb, I don't care. I know a retard calls me dumb.

infinite59

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 04:37:14 PM »
You can't just believe anything you read, I don't believe the women are being raped.  Who is the source?  Sources can be made up. 

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2004, 06:20:50 PM »

You can call me dumb, I don't care. I know a retard calls me dumb.

Dont play the sympathy card, or the "I dont really care" card. You made a dumb point, that was totally baseless and off point. Now are you gonna stand by your point or are you gonna curl up and tuck tail?
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Woodrow

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2004, 09:05:05 PM »
Once again, France stands on the side of reason.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3875277.stm

Woodrow

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2004, 09:13:29 PM »
Here's an article about the whole issue. For those who don't know much about whats going on, it's a nice primer and lets you know how fucked the entier region is.

http://www.exile.ru/191/war_nerd.html

Well, I'm pretty sick of Iraq -- which means I finally have something in common with Bush's Texans -- so it seemed like a good time to go back to Africa. There's always a new war ready to serve up in Africa, and you can just enjoy it, enjoy the beauty of the game like they say on NBA broadcasts, without getting too emotionally mixed up in the score.

This time it's Darfur, in Western Sudan -- yup, that's right, a whole new front in the multi-war hell-on-Earth that goes by the name of "Sudan." Whenever there's a competition for worst place in the world, Sudan always makes the top five. It's got pretty much everything going for it, hellhole-wise. It's in Africa, and worse yet, the Sahel, where things are bad and getting worse even by African standards. It's an ex-British colony. It's connected at the top to the Middle East, and at the bottom to the Rift Valley, where there's always a massacre or two going. It's got the classic North/South, Muslim/Christian divide, and a mixed-up kind of racial divide, Arab/Black, to top that off.

Now comes a war in Western Sudan, just to make it all nice and complicated. A typical Sudan war: dirty, mean, no mercy and nobody on the outside gives a damn. This one is happening on a huge chunk of godforsaken scrubland on the Chad/Sudan border called Darfur.

"Darfur" means "Fur-Land." The Fur are a black tribe who manage to scrape out a living in the dry scrub at the edge of the Sahara in Western Sudan. If you live in a place like Fresno, where there's always a drought, or there's just been a drought, you can get some idea of what that means, but I always wonder if you people in the East, or in Europe, have a feel for drought. You get so much rain you're spoiled. You even complain about it.

Well, in Sudan there's never enough rain. The only water is the Nile, and the Arabs grabbed all the river frontage. Which means the Fur have to farm a desert. I drive to work along dry scrubland, and try to imagine what it'd be like to grow millet or corn on it. The adobe in Bakersfield, where I grew up, gets hard as concrete in the summer. We always tried to dig forts and trenches, and we never could because you had to soak the ground with a hose for an hour before you could take a shovel to it at all.

No hoses in Darfur -- you lug in every bucket of water by hand, with an AK on your back in case anybody else gets possessive about the well, or spring, or whatever miserable hole you get your stinking, muddy water from. You have to sleep in the fields to keep people from stealing your birdseed (cause that's what millet is), praying to Allah that the locusts don't drop in for a little fast food. Drag yourself home when it's dark, beat your wife for a little stress relief, fall asleep listening to your favorite kid coughing up its lungs, then get up at dawn and do it all again.

Damn, it sounds so awful it almost makes my life seem OK.

Of course, that was the routine back in the good old days. Darfur's way worse now, now that the Sudan government is sponsoring a war to basically wipe out the Fur.

The government didn't exactly start the war. There's always been war in Darfur. Most of the time it was between the Fur and one or another of the nomadic tribes that skulk around the edge of the desert at the Chad/Sudan border, herding their camels and goats around looking for a few blades of grass.

To the nomads, the Fur were a bunch of spoiled brats, sitting on their wonderful land that might get, say, five inches of water a year. The Fur farmed the Jebel Marra, a highland that wasn't as totally worthless as the rest of the province. More scorpions per square acre. A fine cover of tumbleweed. Real prime land.

In a way, the war started like any good Western: a fight over water and grazing rights between the ranchers vs. the homesteaders. The Fur were the homesteaders, and the nomads were the cattlemen, knocking down fences and grabbing the waterholes from the farmers.

And just like in the Western, the cattlemen had a big advantage over the farmers because they were better organized for war. Most nomad tribess have some kind of "informal" military structure. (Think Genghis Khan -- those Mongol hordes didn't just appear out of nowhere.) Nomads have to be ready to fight. For one thing, the favorite recreation of every Nomad in history is sneaking up on the Nomads over the hill and stealing all their cattle, or camels, or goats or gerbils or whatever. Then there's the fact that the animals are always dying of thirst or hunger. Better to die trying to grab some pastureland than sit out there in the sand watching the livestock die. These people love their stock a hell of a lot more than they love themselves, never mind a bunch of dirt farmers like the Fur.

There was a racial angle too, the kind it's hard for Americans to understand. The way people in Sudan see things, the Fur are "black" whereas most of the nomads are "Arab." If you look at pictures from the war as an American, you'd say everybody in them is black: dark skin, kinky hair, broad noses. But Africans, sad to say, are as racist as anybody else, even against themselves -- and to the Northern Sudanese who run the country, the southerners are black, primitive losers. They even have their own version of the N-word: "zurug," "black."

It makes no sense to me, because I'd give anything to look like the Southerners look. Remember Manute Bol? Played in the NBA way back when. He could dunk standing up. With both hands.

Bol was southern Sudanese. In fact he lost his NBA money donating to the SLA, the Southern rebel movement, poor bastard.

Anyway, he's what I'd like to look like if I could: a cool seven feet seven inches tall, and so thin he weighed less than 200 pounds for most of his career. He was a typical Dinka, the Southern tribe the Northerners are trying to wipe out -- the tallest, skinniest, blackest people on the planet. Really decent people too, from what I can tell. If I ever come back, I want to come back as a Dinka. (Just as long as I get to play in the NBA and don't have to live anywhere near Soutern Sudan.)

So where does a bunch of mostly-black Northern Sudanese river-rats get off acting superior to the noble Dinka? I don't know, but they do. And with a lot of cash help from those Wahabbi morons in Saudi Arabia, who fund the whole miserable war, they're winning. The Northerners already starved and bombed the Dinka into surrender, and they're using the same tactics on the Fur right now.

It's an ugly way to make war. Basically it consists of putting a whole province under siege. Here it is in nice easy steps:

1. Arm the nomad militias so they outgun the farmers. The Sudan government sent 50,000 automatic rifles and machine guns to the Arab militias in Darfur. Also provide them with Army advisors and air support, and force them into effective cross-tribal alliances.

2. Block off entry for the foreign aid agencies, so nobody'll see what's about to happen. This is something the Sudan government has learned to do REAL well. They managed to almost wipe out the Dinka without a word from our democracy-loving government. It helps that southern and western Sudan are so hard to reach. Like I've said before, inland peoples are out of luck. Ask the Kurds.

3. Send the nomad militias in to burn the villages. Tell them they can have whatever they can grab, and rape anybody they happen to like the look of. Tell them to be sure to burn the village real thoroughly, so nobody can live there again. (Lots of Fur villages have been burned two, three, four times.)

4. Once the Fur are pushed off their land, squeeze them into concentration camps, with the militias coming in to rape and kill the inmates every few hours, just to keep them scared.

5. Keep all food away from them. This is the key technique. It's not an "atrocity" or an "excess," it's the whole point. Read up on ancient warfare if you need to see how sieges work. Even if you don't wipe out the whole tribe, you'll have killed or stunted the children, so you're changing the balance in your favor in the next round of fighting.

We're already well into stage 5 in Darfur now. The nomad militias, united in a government-sponsored organization called the Janjaweed (which isn't nearly as fun or Rastafarian as it sounds) now have 20,000 men with automatics, RPGs, and CAS from the Sudan air force. Not bad for a camel-mounted mobile rape squad.

The Fur are dying in big numbers, and run off their land in even bigger. Right now maybe 800,000 of them are on the run, stumbling around the desert or hunkered down in concentration camps hoping the Janjaweed cowboys don't feel like coming inside the wire for a little rapin' and killin' tonight.

You know, somehow I can't enjoy this one as much as I do most African wars. I guess I made the fatal mistake of rooting for the underdog here -- the blacks, the Fur, the tall skinny folks. You think I'd know better. In the movies the underdog always wins. In Africa -- never.

Woodrow

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2004, 09:40:59 PM »
You can't just believe anything you read, I don't believe the women are being raped.  Who is the source?  Sources can be made up. 

God you just keep getting more ignorant by the day.

Islam is clouding your sense of reason you fucking moron.

AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL DOESN'T MAKE UP SHIT.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/africa/07/19/sudan.rapes.reut/index.html