Author Topic: China's occupation of Tibet  (Read 157 times)

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
China's occupation of Tibet
« on: July 19, 2004, 07:51:45 AM »
I think its discusting the international community turns their back on tibet, when the Dalai Lama was in britain earlier this year the tony blair refused to meet him same story in australia and i guess in many other places as they are afraid of offending china. funnily enough i can actually applaud Bush for something as he has met with the Dalai Lama twice since coming to office but after over 50 years of occupation there is still no real action taken by china to put things right and the international community doesn't seem to care and news agencies barly ever report anything.
Major Allegations On The Chinese Occupation

Invasion and Refugees
China's invasion by 35,000 troops in 1949 was an act of unprovoked aggression. There is no generally accepted legal basis for China's claim of sovereignty.

Ten years later, 100,000 Tibetans fled with the Dalai Lama, Tibet's spiritual and temporal ruler.

In 1993, the UN High Commissioner for refugees handled 3,700 Tibetan cases.

To avoid detection many refugees, who are poorly clothed, are forced to use the 19,000ft. Nangpa-La pass below Everest. The Nepalese authorities have turned refugees over to the Chinese.

Chinese Administration of Tibet
By the 17-Point Agreement of 1951 China undertook not to interfere with Tibet's existing system of government and society, but never kept these promises in eastern Tibet and in 1959 reneged on the treaty altogether.

China has renamed two out of Tibet's three provinces as parts of the Chinese provinces of Qinghai, Gansu, Sichuan and Yunnan, and renamed the remaining province of Utsang as Tibet Autonomous Region (TAR).

There is no evidence to support China's claim that TAR is autonomous: all local legislation is subject to approval of the central government in Beijing; all local government is subject to the regional party, which in Tibet has never been run by a Tibetan. Some 20% of TAR Communist Party cadres are Chinese.

The Human Cost
Reprisals for the 1959 national uprising alone involved the elimination of 87,000 Tibetans by the Chinese count alone, according to a Radio Lhasa broadcast of 1 October 1960. Yet Tibetan exiles claim that 430,000 died during the Uprising and the subsequent 15 years of guerrilla warfare, which continued until the US withdrew support.

The International Commission of Jurists concluded in its reports, 1959 and 1960, that there was a prima facie case of genocide committed by the Chinese upon the Tibetan nation. These reports deal with events before the Cultural Revolution. Chinese justice: Protest and Prisons-

Exile sources estimate that up to 260,000 people died in prisons and labour camps between 1950 and 1984.

Unarmed demonstrators have been shot without warning by Chinese police on five occasions between 1987 and 1989. Amnesty International believes that at least 200 civilians were killed by the security forces during demonstrations in this period. There are also reports of detainees being summarily executed.

Some 3,000 people are believed to have been detained for political offences since September 1987, many of them for writing letters, distributing leaflets or talking to foreigners about the TibetansU right to independence.

The number of political detainees in Lhasa's main prison, Drapchi, is reported to have doubled between 1990 and 1994. The number of women political prisoners tripled. The vast majority of political inmates are monks or nuns. A political prisoner in Tibet can now expect an average sentence of almost seven yeras.

Detailed accounts show that the Chinese conducted a campaign of torture against Tibetan dissidents in prison from March 1989 to May 1990. However, torture is still regularly used against political detainees today. Such prisoners are held in sub-standard conditions, given insufficient food, forbidden to speak, frequently held incommunicado and denied proper medical treatment.

Beatings and torture with electric shock batons are common; prisoners have died from such treatment. In 1992, a monk who had been tortured by the Chinese for over 30 years, bribed prison guards to hand over implements of torture. The weapons, smuggled out of Tibet, were displayed in the west in 1994 and 1995.

Chinese Justice (continued)
The Chinese have refused to allow independent observers to attend so-called public trials. Prison sentences are regularly decided before the trial. Less than 2% of cases in China are won by the defence.

Control of Education
Chinese replaced Tibetan as the official language. Despite official pronouncements, there has been no practical change in this policy. Without an adequate command of Chinese, Tibetans find it difficult to get work in the state sector.

Secondary school children are taught all classes in Chinese. Although English is a requirement for most university courses, Tibetan school children cannot learn English unless they forfeit study of their own language. Many children are sent away to China for education. In 1992 there were 10,000 such children in China, cut off from their own cultural heritage.

Since 1994, the Chinese have strengthened their drive to re-educate young Tibetans about their cultural past at all levels of Tibetan education. They use a distorted history programme which omits reference to an independent Tibet.

Religious Intolerance
Religious practice was forcibly suppressed until 1979, and up to 6,000 monasteries and shrines have been destroyed.

The 1982 Constitution of the People's Republic of China guarantees freedom of religious belief and yet China seeks to curb the total number of monks and nuns entering monasteries. The restrictions in some areas prevent children under 18 from joining monasteries. The PRC Constitution is too vaguely worded to safeguard its citizens from such arbitrary action.

After serving arbitrary sentences imposed for pro-independence activities, nuns released from prison suffer double jeopardy when, frequently, they are banned from rejoining their nunneries. Chinese Immigrants Flood Tibet-

Beijing now admits a national policy of deliberately encouraging Chinese settlers into Tibet.

The influx of Chinese nationals has destabilised the economy. Forced agricultural modernisations led to extensive crop failures and Tibet's first recorded famine (1960-1962).

Resettlement of Chinese migrants has placed Tibetans in the minority in many areas, including Lhasa, causing chronic unemployment among Tibetans. In 1990, the Chinese admitted that there were 44,000 Chinese in Lhasa and around 80,000 in the whole of the TAR. But independent observers believe the figure is in fact far higher. In the east Tibetan border provinces of Kham and Amdo, the Chinese outnumber Tibetans many times over. Economic Development Plans-

Beijing wants to see 10% economic growth per year from the Tibetan region. New wealth is being chanelled into Chinese hands as shown by the 1994 announcement of a railway for Tibet. The rail project will speed both the influx of Chinese migrants as well as the extraction of Tibet's mineral reserves. The railway dwarfs all China's other economic development and aid plans for Tibet

Chinese traders are favoured by lower tax assessments and the dominant postion of Chinese in government administration.

China is pushing to incorporate Tibet into its new market economy by boosting agricultural output. Traditional barley farming, suited to the climate, is diminishing as new crops are intruduced (sometimes with foreign aid backing).

The Environment; the Military
Up to 60 fully-laden timber trucks an hour are leaving Tibet on the two major roads to China, according to tourist film shot in September 1988. This is proof of deforestation and on a large scale. This is in contravention of UN Resolution 1803 (XVII) 1962, which establishes the right of peoples to permanent sovereignty over their natural resources.

The Indian Government reports that three nuclear missile sites, and an estimated 300,000 troops are stationed on Tibetan territory.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All attempts to discuss Tibet are bedevilled by the Chinese redefinition of the country's borders since 1949. Tibet Support Group UK uses the term Tibet to refer to the three original provinces of Usang, Kham and Amdo (sometimes called Greater Tibet). When the Chinese refer to Tibet they invariably mean the Tibet Autonomous Region (TAR) which includes only one province, UUTsang (the TAR was formally inaugurated in 1965). In 1949 the other two provinces, Amdo and Kham, were renamed by the Chinese as parts of China proper and became the province of Qinghai and parts of Sichuan, Gansu and Yunnan provinces.

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Re: China's occupation of Tibet
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 10:39:25 AM »
Yeah our PM met with the Dalai Lama too, despite pressure against it.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

eS El Duque

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 12:20:00 PM »
Yeah our PM met with the Dalai Lama too, despite pressure against it.

Yup, thought that was well done by our pm.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 11:55:16 PM »
you know what's almost as fucked up... hardly anyone is comenting on this...but  i bet if you threw in the words Bush...or fuck america in the title you'd have 23 people who have an opinion all of the sudden

personally i think this is a fucked up situation and Tibet should be freed

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 12:30:55 AM »
Even Bush knows to free Tibet. FREE TIBET!!!! Fuck a political party... FREE TIBET!!!!

Maradona

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Goal of the Century
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 01:13:57 AM »
Let's e-mail Bush and tell him there's oil in Tibet. He's stupid enough to believe it, and believe it or not, by next week you would hear: "China has just been added to the axis of evil"
Picking up the ball from inside his own half, the pint-sized Argentine skipped past challenge after challenge. Always appearing to be on the point of tumbling, he was miraculously able to retain his balance before rounding Peter Shilton and slotting the ball home for a goal manufactured in heaven.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 01:15:22 AM »
Let's e-mail Bush and tell him there's oil in Tibet. He's stupid enough to believe it, and believe it or not, by next week you would hear: "China has just been added to the axis of evil"

anyone got his e-mail. I'll do it for reals. I ain't playing... anyone at all know where I can find G.Dub's e-mail/

Maradona

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Goal of the Century
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 01:18:56 AM »

anyone got his e-mail. I'll do it for reals. I ain't playing... anyone at all know where I can find G.Dub's e-mail/

president@whitehouse.gov  :)

I e-mailed him once and told him that I was God, and I told him to attack al-Qaeda and Iraq... LOL, that's why you heard him say "God told me to attack..."

I seriously didn't expect him to fall for it at first.
Picking up the ball from inside his own half, the pint-sized Argentine skipped past challenge after challenge. Always appearing to be on the point of tumbling, he was miraculously able to retain his balance before rounding Peter Shilton and slotting the ball home for a goal manufactured in heaven.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 02:40:44 AM »
^ ::)

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 10:12:07 AM »
I actually gave him a serious e-mail. I figured why not, I told him I don't agree with him much, but something has to be done about China. I did say they should be in the Axis of Evil. Figured why not.