Author Topic: UN demands Israel scrap barrier vote was passed with 150 in favour, 6 opposed  (Read 348 times)

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
UN demands Israel scrap barrier
The UN General Assembly has adopted a resolution demanding that Israel comply with a world court ruling to dismantle its West Bank barrier.
The vote was passed with 150 in favour, 6 opposed and 10 abstentions.

The resolution, which is non-binding, was drafted after the International Court of Justice ruled the barrier illegally cut into Palestinian land.

Israel has already said it will ignore the court's ruling and condemned the resolution as "outrageous".

All 25 members of the European Union voted in favour of the resolution after it was amended to include calls for Israelis and Palestinians to meet their obligations under the "roadmap" peace plan.

But the 191-nation General Assembly has no power to force countries to act on its recommendations, though the issue could then go to the Security Council which theoretically has the power to impose economic sanctions.

However, the US has spoken out against the ICJ's advisory ruling and the new resolution, and wields a veto in the Security Council.

BBC UN correspondent Susannah Price says the resolution is an attempt to put moral pressure on Israel.

Israeli Ambassador Dan Gillerman described it as a "perversion of justice".

"It is simply outrageous to respond with such vigour to a measure that saves lives and responds with such casual indifference and apathy to the ongoing campaign of Palestinian terrorism that takes lives," he said.

But Palestinian representative Nasser al-Kidwa said it was time for Israel to comply - and for "additional measures" at a later stage, if it does not.

The Palestinian Authority has said it will delay pushing for a Security Council resolution until after the US presidential elections in November.

Barrier

Israel has insisted it needs the barrier to stop Palestinian suicide bombers.

Opponents say the barrier, which juts into the West Bank, is a ploy to seize land and complicates moves to create a Palestinian state.

Israel says it will comply with an Israeli Supreme Court ruling ordering the 640 km (400 mile) barrier to be re-routed around Jerusalem, but has vowed to continue to press on with construction.

US Deputy Ambassador James Cunningham said that the resolution was unbalanced.

"The United States remains convinced that the focus must remain on President Bush's vision of two states, Israel and Palestine, living side by side," he said.

Israel, Australia, the Marshall Islands, Micronesia and Palau also opposed the resolution.

In a statement, the European Union underlined that Israel had the right to self-defence and that it was troubled by some sections of the world court ruling, which is also non-binding.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/middle_east/3911785.stm

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
nothing will happen.
the USA can do whatever the fuck they want. Going to Iraq without nobody doing shit about it in the end proved it.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

infinite59

Even though this is non-binding it is still a memorable day in history.  Seeing the US government, with all it's influence and leverage in the world, standing alone with Isreal against 150 Nations, is remarkable.  The US government has been exposed.

Don Seer

^ its not the first time ;)

infinite59

Maybe not, but 150-6!  That's pretty remarkable.  Especially considering the United States economic leverage to punish any Nation that embarrases them. 

Don Seer

i dunno man.. its weird being here and watching all this..

i wonder how much your media distorts it.. ours of course puts another slant on it.. but i'm assuming yours must be distorted, and ours kinda real..

i guess i'm sympathetic to it.. because in my mind what i remember seeing on tv is various israelii's spouting stuff like

"we'll beat them till they stop" 

i've seen them get made to stupid on tv here..

if it werent for the US this wouldnt have escalated like this because they think they're invincible now..

which is why i've tkkled about there needing to be a big enough event that the US cant ignore to happen to change the tide of things

Doggystylin

man its a shame such amazing places and people are in a country with such a ugly government. and i swear if another one of you stupid fucks comes and tells me to move....hell no, you move, i was born and raised here and im comfortable here, why should i move.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
man its a shame such amazing places and people are in a country with such a ugly government. and i swear if another one of you stupid fucks comes and tells me to move....hell no, you move, i was born and raised here and im comfortable here, why should i move.

I never call the US out as a place to live. I hate the foreign politics of yours, and I think some domestic stuff is shitty too, like gun rule, but I like some american music, basketball, movies, food, language and stuff. I wouldve been there already for a couple of weeks on vacation if I had the money.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Thirteen

I never call the US out as a place to live. I hate the foreign politics of yours, and I think some domestic stuff is shitty too, like gun rule, but I like some american music, basketball, movies, food, language and stuff. I wouldve been there already for a couple of weeks on vacation if I had the money.

yeah i noticed that about you, you're one of the nicer american bashers

Woodrow

Tell me when you come over and I'll show you around.

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
israel is further angered at europe

All 25 EU countries backed the resolution after persuading the Palestinians and their supporters to modify its wording to condemn terrorism and call for both sides to meet their obligations under the roadmap to peace.

But the result prompted Israel to summon the Dutch, British and EU ambassadors.

"Israel is particularly disappointed with the European position, the readiness of the European Union to toe the same line as the Palestinians...even at the price of compromising on the basic principles of justice and morality," a Foreign Ministry statement said.

Israel's UN ambassador Dan Gillerman singled out France, which he said had behaved in a "disgraceful fashion" by convincing other European countries to adopt the resolution.

Low impact

European countries defended the vote.

UK Foreign Secretary Jack Straw says that Israel must act in accordance with international law and that the construction of a barrier on occupied territory is unlawful.

The EU is part of the quartet of Middle East peace mediators, along with Russia, the United States, and the UN. Russia also voted for the resolution.

whats the point of having mediators of peace when you won't follow what they recomend and then choose only to work with the country which has protected israel from international critisim/sanction since its creation. no one would have a problem if the barrier wasn't built on occupied territory, which just proves israel is not interested in lasting peace or giving up stolen land.

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

GoodLuvn169

Israel has the right to do what they want without the U.N bitching about it.  They have the right to put up a border to protect themselves.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 04:41:09 PM by GoodLuvn169 »

Doggystylin

Israel has the right to do what they want without the U.N bitching about it.  They have the right to put up a border to protect themselves.

your a moron, can you not read?, the wall is not even on their own land. if israel wants to build a wall, fine, build a wall on your own fuckin side.

its mexico sayin fuck you guys are dangerous and your going to hurt us, so were going to build a wall on your land, do you not comprehend? ok its like were neighbors and i come and knock half of your house down and build a fence.

Sikotic™

Maybe not, but 150-6!  That's pretty remarkable.  Especially considering the United States economic leverage to punish any Nation that embarrases them. 

It is a very interesting situation. Too bad Americans will eventually suffer the consequences from it's arrogance.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Now_Im_Not_Banned

its mexico sayin fuck you guys are dangerous and your going to hurt us, so were going to build a wall on your land, do you not comprehend? ok its like were neighbors and i come and knock half of your house down and build a fence.

Do we run into Mexico and bomb ourselves?