Author Topic: Survey: 1 in 5 Germans Drink to Get Drunk  (Read 365 times)

Woodrow

Survey: 1 in 5 Germans Drink to Get Drunk
« on: July 22, 2004, 10:43:39 AM »
LONDON (AP) -- Almost 1 in 5 German adults - or 17 percent - believe the point of drinking is to get drunk, according to a survey released Wednesday.

Only 8 percent of Britons drink to become stupefied, according to the survey by Mintel, a market research firm.

"Drinking can be more of a low-key social event in Britain than some may have believed," said Michelle Strutton, consumer analyst at Mintel. "Although Germans may not go drinking as often as the British, when they do drink, many do want to get drunk."

The average German adult drank 255 pints of beer last year, 35 more pints than his British counterpart, the survey found.

Mintel's survey of 35,000 consumers covered France, Italy, Spain, Germany and Britain.

Spain, the third-largest consumer, was the fastest-growing market for beer, but Italy was likely to overtake it. Beer consumption in Spain grew by 17 percent since 1998.

France's consumption was down 13 percent since 1998, though sales of premium beers were holding their own.

Britain has the highest percentage of beer drinkers in Europe, with 61 percent of adults - including 82 percent of men.

In the United States, annual consumption per person in 2002 was around 175 pints, according to industry figures.

© 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BRITAIN_BEER_SURVEY?SITE=CACRU&SECTION=HOME

Hmmmm...

Don Seer

Re: Survey: 1 in 5 Germans Drink to Get Drunk
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 10:44:44 AM »
5 in 5 brits  8)

Doggystylin

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 10:45:41 AM »
really? wow i expected the US to take more beer down than that...all those parties, bars and kegs...im actually kinda dissapointed, lol

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 11:19:59 AM »
I guess it's because U.S has a bigger population, therefore the average goes down....

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

Don Seer

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 11:22:06 AM »

haha maybe rod.. could be the influence of the bible belt on stats!

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 11:32:29 AM »
Im getting drunk today  8)
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • One of the Greatest Moments in Football History
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 12:21:52 PM »
Only 8 percent of Britons drink to become stupefied, according to the survey by Mintel, a market research firm.

I struggle to believe that one

Trauma-san

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 02:41:20 PM »
Well, since beer tastes like horse piss, and liquor generally tastes like gasoline; when I drink, believe me when I say I'm drinking with the sole intention of getting drunk. 

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 02:54:29 PM »
^^Some people drink to get a buz...

mauzip

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 03:00:09 PM »
It's a lot, but I'm sure in a lot of countries the number is higher. Personally, I don't see the point of drinking to get drunk. I drink to get a little bit more loose you know, it's social drinking.

...'BfCfC'...

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 03:02:15 PM »

Entreri117

• Master Chief
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 07:46:59 PM »
So what?  Was is this...another attempt to diss Germany?  Fuck off...I have alot of German heritage in my family, and I'm damn proud of it too.  I plan on visiting Germany and staying there for a few monthes when I get older, get the money, and learn the language more.

Hey 7even, hows the weather this time of year, man?  Sweltering hot, or not that bad?

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2004, 08:08:24 PM »
Well, since beer tastes like horse piss, and liquor generally tastes like gasoline; when I drink, believe me when I say I'm drinking with the sole intention of getting drunk. 
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Maradona

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Goal of the Century
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2004, 10:37:38 PM »
I drink to get a little bit more loose you know

LMAO.
Picking up the ball from inside his own half, the pint-sized Argentine skipped past challenge after challenge. Always appearing to be on the point of tumbling, he was miraculously able to retain his balance before rounding Peter Shilton and slotting the ball home for a goal manufactured in heaven.

eS El Duque

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2004, 10:41:42 PM »
^^Some people drink to get a buz...

^^^i hate when people do that

i only do that if i got somthing very important to do next morning..otherwise..i go get wasted and laid  8)