Author Topic: Dj Quik - Quik is the Name  (Read 1052 times)

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Dj Quik - Quik is the Name
« on: July 23, 2004, 12:31:26 PM »
DJ Quik is one of the many geniuses in the history of hip-hop. He is not a common musician. He is an excellent producer and an amazing rapper as well. He also does some impressive scratching with funky summertime music. All California rap fans know what I mean here. Quik's debut is actually somewhat reminiscent of some previous Compton releases, such as NWA's Straight Out Of Compton, and The D.O.C.'s No One Can Do It Better, plus some other releases that resemble the aforementioned. The music is originally innovated and well polished. Quik has completed some daring work as well, such as the Penthouse Players Clique album. Here, Quik worked with Eazy-E and a group he had come up with. This album was not edited and totally freely recorded and spoke. Quik was not afraid to release it, and it was an instant underground classic.

1. Sweet Black Pussy - Funky ass song. Dj Quik comes with cocky lyrics about Pussy and his hoes. Awesome prodction from the Quikster. 5/5

2. Tonite - Classic This  made the album go platnuim. Definetly one of the  best songs ever.  5/5

3. Born And Raised In Compton -  His best song on this album lyrically. His flow is amazing. Here he talks about Compton and where hes from. This was also his first single. 5/5

4. Deep - On this song, Quik brings his proteges and they all come out wit fine verses. Quik creates a hardcore horn-laced beat that is very funky. 4/5

5. Bombbud - Reagea type song. Quik makes an experiment with Reggae-tinged keyboards and a Jamaican style, which works wonderfully.  4.5/5

6. Dedication -  Not really a song but quik thaks people for helping him on the album.  No Rating

7.  Quik is the name - This  is one of Quik's hits, and is extremely fast-paced with Quik tearing it up. Good for parties. 4.5/10

8. Loc'ed Out Hood - A song wit no Hook.  This  an interesting story about the hood and   with a bumping beat. 4.5/5

9. Eight Ball - This funky song samples Herbie Hancock's classic "Chameleon", and works beautifully with Quik tearing it up. 4/5

10. Quik's Groove - An insturmnetal. Very relaxing. Quik used the instruments on here very good.  No Rating

11. Tear it Off -  This song is very funky but missing good lyrics and flow. The beat will make you listen to it tho. 3/5

12. I got that Feeling -  On this song Quik shows all the youngsters how to talk their game to women. It has one of the most memorable hooks I've ever heard with a woman singing and Quik breaking it up with his mixing skills. 4.75/5

13. Skanless - I dont feel this song to much, its usally a skip song.  The beat is  funky but its out of place and it seems unfinshed. Hi-C  does have a nice verse tho. 2/5

Overall  this album is a 8.5 /10

« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 12:36:30 PM by Machiavelli »

Sikotic™

Re: Dj Quik - Quik is the Name
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 02:06:40 PM »
Very good debut. You could tell he looked at what was wrong with this album and made major improvements latrer on. 8/10
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 03:20:04 PM »
Very good debut. You could tell he looked at what was wrong with this album and made major improvements latrer on. 8/10

Yes exactually. I  think Quik was moving a step up every album he made... But i do think UTI was a step sideways not down but to the side.

Maradona

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Goal of the Century
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 11:25:15 PM »
7.  Quik is the name - This  is one of Quik's hits, and is extremely fast-paced with Quik tearing it up. Good for parties. 4.5/10
???
Picking up the ball from inside his own half, the pint-sized Argentine skipped past challenge after challenge. Always appearing to be on the point of tumbling, he was miraculously able to retain his balance before rounding Peter Shilton and slotting the ball home for a goal manufactured in heaven.

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 06:47:16 AM »
???

I ment 4.5/5

Sikotic™

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 02:17:57 PM »
???

I ment 4.5/5

You were about to incite a riot lol
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 04:37:42 PM »
You were about to incite a riot lol

Maradona was just be a smartass :P

RXL

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2004, 01:58:04 PM »
lol

prince

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 07:41:44 PM »
top reveiw- tonite is a classic!!!!

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004, 04:15:53 PM »
DJ Quik cuts the hell out of the "Quik is the Name" track. Great album.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

westkoastanostra

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 08:33:27 PM »
i luv "born and raised in compton" this track iz off the chain

kywhiteboy

• 'G'
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 07:22:29 PM »
Classic!! 8)

Tha G In Deee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • If it don't make dollaz, it don't make sense.
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005, 02:17:29 PM »

::Mr. Hahn::

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 04:39:23 AM »
im not sure why...all those songs u mentioned like sweet black pussy and tonite i never really felt, im listening to it now again as i see your high rating...

My favourite Quik song is Change Da Game Ft. Mausberg...that style of Quik music just is the style i like..im not saying those songs u rated are whack, they are great, but just not my fav...Change Da Game is just a song that never gets boring for me..
Currently Training at:
www.VT1GYM.com

Gang Starr

"But they can't take the respect, that I've earned in my lifetime
And you know they'll never stop the furious force of my rhymes
So like they say, every dog has it's day
And like they say, God works in a mysterious way
So I pray, remembering the days of my youth
As I prepare to meet my moment of truth"

rafsta

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 09:16:05 AM »
im not sure why...all those songs u mentioned like sweet black pussy and tonite i never really felt, im listening to it now again as i see your high rating...

"whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat ??!!??!!" - lil jon