Author Topic: Muslim women dress  (Read 1719 times)

infinite59

Muslim women dress
« on: July 28, 2004, 04:49:49 PM »
I'm supposed to prepare this little talk, so I'm practicing on here, give feedback if you want.

It really has a lot to do with your interest in the matter.  The friends I grew up with probably walked by dozens of women wearing hijabs, and never took any notice of it, never thought twice about it, cared very little.  Muslim women and their style of dress was never mentioned once in any conversation I had ever had growing up.  The times are different now.  Muslims are now being discussed every day in the media.  But back then I really don't ever remember it being something that was discussed.

My situation is a little bit different.  I was raised Christian and I never could feel comfortable with Christianity.  I was very interested in hearing opposing viewpoints.  The first time I took notice of women covering themselves was in the movie Malcolm X which was often played on HBO as I was growing up.  It made a very strong impression on me.  There is a scene in the movie where Malcolm X was approaching women in the streets and saying, "This is who you really are,"  and showing them a picture of an audotorium of women all wearing white viels.  It made a strong impression on me.  You automatically think, "These are the most pure women I've ever seen" and curious "there's really women who act like that?"

Still, my becoming a Muslim was through predominately male influences.  Then, the longer I was Muslim the more reverence I had for women for wearing the hijab, and the more I understood the important role it played in perserving Islam's value's of righteousness and piety within the Muslim community.

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Muslim women dress
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 05:27:34 PM »
My Question to You:

If Islam is sooo damn peaceful, how come women are treated like shit and forced to wear a hijab?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 05:52:57 PM by Machiavelli »

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 08:43:01 PM »
My Question to You:

If Islam is sooo damn peaceful, how come women are treated like shit and forced to wear a hijab?

Talk to one they want to wear it. It guarantees that they are not looked at simply as sex objects and the covering up reserves them to be seen by only their husbands who love them and Allah who loves them. This Western society has taught women empowering comes by dressing so that men will not look at you as people but as sex objects. Feel free to add on Ibrahim or anyone else.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

infinite59

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 05:59:44 AM »
My Question to You:

Talk to one they want to wear it. It guarantees that they are not looked at simply as sex objects and the covering up reserves them to be seen by only their husbands who love them and Allah who loves them. This Western society has taught women empowering comes by dressing so that men will not look at you as people but as sex objects. Feel free to add on Ibrahim or anyone else.

Exactly.  The big lie being passed around is that Muslim women are oppressed and being forced to wear the hijab.  If that is true, then how do you explain 5 million Muslim women inside America who willfully wear their traditional Islamic dress? 

Not to mention, hardly any of the Muslim countries force their women to wear hijab.  Infact, the only one I can think of now is Saudi Arabia, and that's only in a few of the cities of Saudi Arabia.

It's all just propaganda against Islam.

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 07:11:55 AM »
yes but you can't deny muslim women are oppressed and have no where near the same rights as muslim men. if they wear it on their free will fine but u also can't deny the pressure put on them to stay covered up even if there is no law of the land to do so. The thing that always makes me wonder is you see them in the hot countries with only their eyes in view and they must be so hot inside there it must be almost unbarable

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 08:52:45 AM »
It's all just propaganda against Islam.

Bullshit!

The Saudi kingdom is known for its harsh treatment of women, who are prohibited from driving or leaving their homes without their husbands, fathers, or brothers. In public, they are forced to wear suffocating black veils that cover them from head to toe, turning them into shadows of the men they walk behind. Baz wore a head scarf on her show, not a veil covering her face.

While violence toward women is not the norm in the Middle East, it does exist and there is strong bias against women.

In parts of the region, women are second-class citizens. In Kuwait, a 1963 law prohibits women from voting or running for office. Recent attempts to change this law have all failed. In remote areas of Jordan, honor killings (women murdered by family members for perceived sexual indiscretions) still take place. Some observers attribute the poor treatment of women to Islam, saying the religion allows for it. But Islam suports  violence and discrimination against women.

The prophet Muhammad said women should be lower class citizens and treated with almost no rights.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 08:56:35 AM by Machiavelli »

Maradona

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Goal of the Century
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 04:58:06 PM »
The Saudi kingdom is known for its harsh treatment of women
That's absolutely true. Why doesn't the U.S. take some action? Why don't we see this stuff on TV like we did with the Taliban?

The Saudi kingdom is known for its harsh treatment of women

But Islam suports  violence and discrimination against women.
Islam doesn't support violence or discrimination against women. Just because the idiots who take these actions happen to be Muslim leaders, does not mean that the religion itself teaches or supports this.

The prophet Muhammad said women should be lower class citizens and treated with almost no rights.

Are you just talking out of your ass, or are you taking certain lines out of context to defeat the whole purpose of its actual meaning? If you want, I can provide you with some shit that would not only prove that women are not to be discriminated against in Islam, but also the fact that the Bible DOES include this belief.

Picking up the ball from inside his own half, the pint-sized Argentine skipped past challenge after challenge. Always appearing to be on the point of tumbling, he was miraculously able to retain his balance before rounding Peter Shilton and slotting the ball home for a goal manufactured in heaven.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 05:19:41 PM »
i wana see some muslim women in playboy :)...

RXL

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 07:44:56 PM »
::)

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 08:33:40 PM »
i don't get this thread, you mix you becoming a muslum with women wearing hijababby dabby ding dongs...whatever they're called. Are you trying to say you want to wear one or something?>

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 08:47:18 PM »

That's absolutely true. Why doesn't the U.S. take some action? Why don't we see this stuff on TV like we did with the Taliban?

Because Saudi Arabi gives us oil and supports us.

Islam doesn't support violence or discrimination against women. Just because the idiots who take these actions happen to be Muslim leaders, does not mean that the religion itself teaches or supports this.

Are you just talking out of your ass, or are you taking certain lines out of context to defeat the whole purpose of its actual meaning? If you want, I can provide you with some shit that would not only prove that women are not to be discriminated against in Islam, but also the fact that the Bible DOES include this belief.

QUOTES FROM THE QURAN ARE BELOW

SURA [9:111] GOD has bought from the believers their lives and their money in exchange for Paradise. Thus, they fight in the cause of GOD, willing to kill and get killed. Such is His truthful pledge in the Torah, the Gospel, and the Quran - and who fulfills His pledge better than GOD? You shall rejoice in making such an exchange. This is the greatest triumph.

SURA [2:191] You may kill those who wage war against you, and you may evict them whence they evicted you. Oppression is worse than murder. Do not fight them at the Sacred Masjid, unless they attack you therein. If they attack you, you may kill them. This is the just retribution for those disbelievers.

SURA [5:33] The just retribution for those who fight GOD and His messenger, and commit horrendous crimes, is to be killed, or crucified, or to have their hands and feet cut off on alternate sides, or to be banished from the land. This is to humiliate them in this life, then they suffer a far worse retribution in the Hereafter.

SURA [5:73] Pagans indeed are those who say that GOD is a third of a trinity. There is no god except the one god. Unless they refrain from saying this, those who disbelieve among them will incur a painful retribution.

SURA [9:5] Once the Sacred Months are past, you may kill the idol worshipers when you encounter them, punish them, and resist every move they make.

SURA [9:5 ANOTHER TRANSLATION] Fight and kill the idol worshipers wherever you find them.

http://www.musicinit.com/islam.html

Slayer

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 09:06:57 PM »

then how do you explain 5 million Muslim women inside America who willfully wear their traditional Islamic dress? 

then we should kick them out cos they dont belong here

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2004, 10:09:27 PM »
If that is true, then how do you explain 5 million Muslim women inside America who willfully wear their traditional Islamic dress? 

Hmm... There are approximately 5 million Muslims in the America.  So every Muslim in America is a women ??? ::)

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2004, 10:46:00 PM »

Because Saudi Arabi gives us oil and supports us.

QUOTES FROM THE QURAN ARE BELOW

SURA [9:111] GOD has bought from the believers their lives and their money in exchange for Paradise. Thus, they fight in the cause of GOD, willing to kill and get killed. Such is His truthful pledge in the Torah, the Gospel, and the Quran - and who fulfills His pledge better than GOD? You shall rejoice in making such an exchange. This is the greatest triumph.

SURA [2:191] You may kill those who wage war against you, and you may evict them whence they evicted you. Oppression is worse than murder. Do not fight them at the Sacred Masjid, unless they attack you therein. If they attack you, you may kill them. This is the just retribution for those disbelievers.

SURA [5:33] The just retribution for those who fight GOD and His messenger, and commit horrendous crimes, is to be killed, or crucified, or to have their hands and feet cut off on alternate sides, or to be banished from the land. This is to humiliate them in this life, then they suffer a far worse retribution in the Hereafter.

SURA [5:73] Pagans indeed are those who say that GOD is a third of a trinity. There is no god except the one god. Unless they refrain from saying this, those who disbelieve among them will incur a painful retribution.

SURA [9:5] Once the Sacred Months are past, you may kill the idol worshipers when you encounter them, punish them, and resist every move they make.

SURA [9:5 ANOTHER TRANSLATION] Fight and kill the idol worshipers wherever you find them.

http://www.musicinit.com/islam.html

If you want to make a point, chum, do it properly.

Pullin random quotes out of a 600 page book does no justice to your argument, assuming you have one.

It can make anything look bad.

The Quran, in the method in which it is presented has some sort of chronology to it. Certain chapters appear within a greater context or message (ie. war, peace, nation building, personal reponsibilities)

Im being easy on you now, because you are a Pac fan, so you get a pass. But dont come round herre pullin some dumb shit again, ya hear?
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2004, 11:00:46 PM »
If you want to make a point, chum, do it properly.

Pullin random quotes out of a 600 page book does no justice to your argument, assuming you have one.

It can make anything look bad.

The Quran, in the method in which it is presented has some sort of chronology to it. Certain chapters appear within a greater context or message (ie. war, peace, nation building, personal reponsibilities)

Im being easy on you now, because you are a Pac fan, so you get a pass. But dont come round herre pullin some dumb shit again, ya hear?

K, Im not saying Islam is an evil religion(even tho 50% support Bin Laden) but can you please explain to me those quotes above? Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 11:03:17 PM by Machiavelli »