Author Topic: Sharon gives the go ahead for Israel to build 600 new homes in the West Bank  (Read 132 times)

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Israel plans to expand settlement
It has emerged that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has given the go-ahead for 600 new homes in the largest Jewish settlement in the West Bank.
Mr Sharon and Defence Minister Shaul Mofaz agreed the plan two months ago but it has only now been made public.

The new homes are to be built in Maale Adoumin, close to Jerusalem. It is already home to 28,000 Jewish settlers.

Israel has committed itself to freezing settlement activity under the international "roadmap" peace plan.

Under the terms of the stalled peace plan, the Palestinians are obliged to crack down on militant attacks against Israel.

All settlements in the West Bank and Gaza are considered illegal under international law.

'Incompatible with roadmap'

The BBC's Katya Adler in Jerusalem says Palestinians fear that Israel's plan to pull out of Gaza next year could mean Mr Sharon plans to bolster Jewish settlements in the West Bank instead.

ISRAELI SETTLEMENTS
400,000 settlers in the West Bank and Gaza
130 settlements authorised by Israeli governments
About 100 unauthorised settlements, 60 built during Ariel Sharon's government
Israel spends about $500m on settlements annually - excluding security
Sources: Peace Now and Haaretz newspaper

Our correspondent reports that US officials say the building plans appear incompatible with the peace plan.
A spokesman at the US embassy in Tel Aviv said Ambassador Dan Kurtzer would examine the case as soon as he returned from a trip abroad.

Israel plans to pull all its 7,000 settlers from Gaza and the troops that protect them, while keeping control of Gaza's borders, coastline and airspace. Four West Bank settlements are also to be evacuated.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/middle_east/3527548.stm

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
even america is against this, but since bush said the westbank settlements should stay due to "new realities on the ground" israel thinks they may aswell expand when every other country considers the settlement illegal and in breach of the roadmap.

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
what can you say, it's fucked up.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin