Author Topic: Your top 6 Guitarists of all time  (Read 449 times)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Your top 6 Guitarists of all time
« on: August 04, 2004, 08:18:23 PM »
Was gonna make this 5, but couldn't whittle 1 of these ones out: (no order)

Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Prince
Ted Nugent
Carlos Santana
Eric Clapton

Feel free to debate me on this list as I do not consider myself to be any sort of expert on guitar, and post your own lists.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Trauma-san

Re: Your top 6 Guitarists of all time
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 10:01:04 PM »
Prince is a great guitarist, but not one of the greatest of all time, Nugent isn't even close.  I'll give Carlos a player pass, but my top three would definately be

1. Eric Clapton
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Stevie Ray Vaughn

As far as personal favorites, I'm not a big stevie fan but I realize his incredible talent.  Some of my FAVORITE guitarists are

Eric, a man who just totally lives the blues and genuinely is in love with the guitar as a musical instrument.  He's kind of resting on his laurels now, but in my opinion, he's the greatest to ever pick up the instrument, mainly through practice and determination, and a little bit of god's grace.

Jimi, TOTALLY blessed by God's grace, the most naturally talented guitarist to ever live.  In my opinion, the only two drawbacks keeping him from Eric's throne is, 1. his tragically short life, and 2. he's a bit sloppy sometimes, whereas Eric is perfection embodied on the guitar.  Most of that is just Jimi's style, though, and I'd be crazy to insinuate he wasn't the most expressive guitarist to ever live.

George Harrison has done his fair share of inventing what we call modern guitar.  His slide work is beautiful, and his work on the Beatles records as well as his solo records paved the way for tons of guitarists, George had the 'wah' pedal invented @ Abbey Road studios for use on Beatles records, and was also the first person to record 'backwards guitar', as well as learning how to play the Sitar, and bringing eastern stringed instruments into western pop music.  Great, Great guitarist, but not in a 'he's better than everyone else' way like Stevie, Jimi, and Eric.

Vince Gill - great country singer, who also happens to be an excellent guitarist.  He's very competant, and sings lead as well as playing lead guitar solos in concert, which is rare for a country musician.  He's my favorite country guitarist.

Chuck Berry pretty much invented Rock & Roll with his original style of playing.  Nuff said.

The Edge is one of the most gifted 'melodic' guitarists that's ever lived, he's very creative and always ivents new sounds and techniques on each and every record.  His guitar is CONSISTANTLY the best part of ANY U2 recording, whether it's the jangly arpeggios in "With or Without You", or the blistering solo in "In The Name Of Love". 

Last but definately not least, nobody 'rocked' quite like Buddy Holly, one day in the 50's in a studio somewhere he created the solo to "Peggy Sue", and music hasn't been the same since. 

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 12:29:18 AM »

1. Jimi Hendrix....c'mon it's hendrix , it's like Jordan he's the man at his game undisputedly
listen to: Voodoo Chili slight return

2. Steve Vai-not even jimi himself could play some of the stuff steve does
Listen to: Speed metal Symphany

3. Eddie Van Halen-it's ungodly how many people tried to play llike this man when Van Halen first came out
Listen to Eruption

4. Joe Satriani- in the guitar world he holds the same name as KRS-one...the teacher do your research and you'll know y, he taught 2 of the top 5 guitarist how to play, even made guitar 'gods' reconsider their style after jamming
Listen to : Surfing with the Alien

5. Kirk Hammett- in all reality he's just as talented as any person on this list, i've seen him hold his own numerous times over all of the above except hendrix(cuz of corse he was dead before kirk was born)   also after jimi hendrix he's the most consistantly copied Lead Guitarist
Listen to : One

6. Jeff Beck-out of all the yarbirds to come out ( Jimmi Page and Clapton) Jeff Beck was by far the better of the three. Also after hendrix he's one of rocks most original Guitarists
Listen To: Shapes of Things

7. Randy Rhoads- who says rock can't be classical? while  eddie van halen was busy making rapid fire solos Randy Rhoads was making rock more sophisticated. Classical guitar became a main stay in guitar virtuoso history after this dude Like Hendrix it's scary to think how good he could have been if he would've lived longer.
Listen to: Goodbye to Romance

8. Angus Young-probably the most simplicistic on my list but definately not any less talented than ANYONE on this list, you wouldn't know from just listening but dude puts notes and scales together that SHOULDN"T go. ALso  you got to love his smug "i can play like hendrix attitude watch...::insert angus going off on the guitart::...but that's not me" attitude
Listen to: Thunderstruck

9. Robert Johnson-at first listen his shit just sounds like   scratchy old crap. BUT once you get into the actual technicality of his work , then consider he was the one who construced most of the modern molds of how music sounds.....dude was a genius
listen to: all of King of the Delta blues

10. Eric Clapton- Definately a great guitar player, biggest asset ,showing guitar players they don't have to stick to one genre. Also , he's not the best technical guitarist but he's the best at making the best out of what he had.
Listen to : Layla and crossroads
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 12:32:34 AM by Jake La Motta »

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Woodrow

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 12:31:56 AM »
B.B. King?

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 12:34:00 AM »
B.B. King?

lol

i got respect for the dude but listen to t bone walker, and muddy waters....and you get that Jay-z biting Biggie Effect

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 12:37:21 AM »
my personal favorites are as followed

1. kirk hammett
2. Slash
3. David Gilmore
4. Angus Young
5. James Hetfield
6. John Frusciante

DAYUM

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 12:44:46 AM »
i would say

carlos santana
prince
jimmy hendrix

cant think of any more...

CHEF_RAEKWON

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 07:07:12 AM »
my FAVOURITES

kirk hammet
larry la londe
jimi hendrix
james hetfield
tony iommi

Montana00

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 07:20:12 AM »
some of these probably arent considered greatest but there my favorite.

Jimi hendrix
Eric clapton
Jimmy page
Stevie Vaughn
Tony iomi
santana
kirk

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 09:17:46 AM »
i don't know shit about guitar playing so i can't really judge them by their technical skills too well, but here's my favs

Jimi Hendrix
George Harrison
Carlos Santana
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Prince
Slash

tbh tho, the guitar is one of those instruments I'm not really a big fan of, i just enjoy listening to it from time to time and I'm not particularly into any of the artists i listed even tho Hendrix did some amazing work and i got a lot of respect for the others too

Throwback

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2004, 01:40:04 PM »
i would say

carlos santana
prince
jimmy hendrix

cant think of any more...

lol me 2

+ van halen and slash

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2004, 06:47:24 PM »
TOM MORELLO !!!!!!!!!!!!! did I hear someone say innovative????

davida.b.

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2004, 06:50:02 PM »
Jimi Hendirx
Eric Clapton
Slash
Santana
Tom Morello
Dave Grohl
Tony Iomi

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2004, 02:06:54 AM »
TOM MORELLO !!!!!!!!!!!!! did I hear someone say innovative????

dude tom morello sucks...i'll say it again he sucks all of his riffs are....THE SAME, he just uses a different pedal  for different sound effects.......i like to listen to his shit but on the real he straight up jocks Joe Satriani like no other, that bulls on parade solo (with the scratching) was jacked from a Joe Satriani song.

The Predator

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2004, 07:34:19 AM »
EDDIE HAZEL (Funkadelic,Parliament) smashed it on - Maggot Brain.