Author Topic: Warren G doesn't get to produce, but ALL THESE no-names...  (Read 1381 times)

jeromechickenbone

Re: Warren G doesn't get to produce, but ALL THESE no-names...
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2004, 03:15:30 PM »
Kody - your explanation to regulate not being a classic cd is "It should have been better".  Thats a weak ass explanation.  I'm guessing you never listened to that cd until years later, cuz if you heard it when it first came out you would realize how classic it is.

And yes Warren G is a bigger name then battlecat.  I don't mean he is necessarily better, and battlecat may be a very common producer amongst those of us who post in this forum, but I guarantee you if you went out and asked the average person they would have no clue who battlecat is, and would have at least heard Warren G's.

··: O.G Kody™ :··

« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2004, 12:02:01 AM »
Kody - your explanation to regulate not being a classic cd is "It should have been better".  Thats a weak ass explanation.  I'm guessing you never listened to that cd until years later, cuz if you heard it when it first came out you would realize how classic it is.

And yes Warren G is a bigger name then battlecat.  I don't mean he is necessarily better, and battlecat may be a very common producer amongst those of us who post in this forum, but I guarantee you if you went out and asked the average person they would have no clue who battlecat is, and would have at least heard Warren G's.

It's not a weak explanation. IT'S MY OPINION. Either realise that or fuck off.

What has that got to do with talent? IMO Battlecat is a better producer than Warren G. I'm not saying Warren G isn't a good producer, just not as good as BC. It's quite simple.

KoDy.

Danté Williams

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Diggie Dee aka Tha Preacher
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2004, 12:21:49 AM »

It's not a weak explanation. IT'S MY OPINION. Either realise that or fuck off.

What has that got to do with talent? IMO Battlecat is a better producer than Warren G. I'm not saying Warren G isn't a good producer, just not as good as BC. It's quite simple.

KoDy.

That's OK, we all respect your opinion. What you gotta do is respect the other 99% of the people here who think "Regulate" is a classic album.

BTW, "Battlecat is better than Warren G" is also your opinion and you shouldn't be coming back again and again to say how wrong we are. Battlecat is a mad tight producer, no one doubts that, but nobody but you in here is feeling him more than Warren G.

And what you need to understand is that Warren G should have produced the 213 record, no matter if the actual producers are good or not. I could have an album produced by Dre, Quik, Primo... and would still complain. What would you think of a Gangstarr album with not a single Primo production? If you can't understand that, then you don't know ish about 213.

And for all y'all, mayne, let's keep this civilized. Let's respect everyone's opinions and stop the fussing and insulting. Let's discuss, that's what forums are about, but let's keep it cool.

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2004, 03:44:17 PM »

warren g isn't really a bigger name producer than battlecat.  the only reason warren g's name is widely known is largely for "regulate" and "this dj".  other than a couple huge singles back in the mid 90's, warren's name hasn't been attributed to anything notable.  you're comparing a cat with 4 albums to a straight producer.  that doesn't make sense.  on the production tip alone, battlecat must be more famous because he's done more.

battlecat has worked with many more artists than warren g.  battlecat has worked with artists on both coasts and across genre's.  other than that track warren did for mike jackson (and maybe if you count nate dogg as r&b) warren has barely done anything non-hip hop.  battlecat has worked with lucy pearl, deborah cox, brian mcknight, tyrese, raphael saadiq, po' broke n lonely (and if you count nate dogg he's worked with him too).  batlecat has worked with way more hip hop artists.  the music industry has shown battlecat far more respect than warren g.
battlecat gets more work from both established artists and new artists.  what standard are you using?

battlecat has more classic songs to his credit than warren.  both pop classics and underground classics.
"a four letter word is going out to every single enemy" - kam

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2004, 04:02:35 PM »
Jome:
I'm talking about Warren's producer skills, don't try to switch topic.

warren g has fallen off since 97 or so.  and since 1995 i doubt you could find a single year in which warren g had done more hits than battlecat.

Warren is a better producer than Battlecat, or uhh B Sharp. (Mr. Gilliam should slap someone for convincing him that, that name is cool)

you're attacking his alias now?  lol!

Warren gets accused for making too similar beats, but Battlecat only have 1 beat with different variations.

you've never heard battlecat's work on bad azz's personal business, or his work on ras kass' van gogh i see...

you've never heard battle cat's r&b work i see...

battlecat has more sounds and styles than warren g.

i don't even see why this is a cat vs g-dub debate...if this whole album was cat & g-dub i wouldn't complain.  what the fuck is kayne west and hi tek and josef and missy doing on it?  battlecat contributes some transcendental, blissful shit like "keep it gangsta" and cats have the audacity to question him???  wtf!!!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 04:06:18 PM by nibs »

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2004, 04:03:15 PM »
nibs:
warren g has fallen off since 97 or so.  and since 1996 i doubt you could find a single year in which warren g had done more hits than battlecat.

meh.  i was under the impression that "take a look" was a 96 release.  i intended to stack take a look up against dazzie dee & yo yo.  as it is, "take a look" was a 97 release, so warren will win that year; and that year alone.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 04:09:00 PM by nibs »

Wild_Elmo

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2004, 04:17:54 PM »
lol @ callin Tha Chill a no name........

not only is he a vet to westcoast music but he produced one of the best beats on that album  ::)
exactly what i was gonna say, but then i realized it was posted by jome. take it easy on him, he's a little stupid.

young ozwald

• 'G'
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2004, 04:31:18 PM »
WEST UP, Snoop never gave Warren the respect that he deserves.  Everybody wanted the 213 album to have Warren and Daz on the productions but u know Snoop is commerical now.  He's singley killin the Left right now.  I waiting for Warren to drop that classic that he have in him one more time.  I bet anybody Warren new lp will be better than that 213 shit.

Active Ingredient

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • wake up in tha mornin with my lucky charms cereal
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2004, 04:52:07 PM »
Joseph produced Dolla dolla bill?!?

damn, thats his best beat yet

"I keep it gangsta for the kids" -Goldie Loc

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2004, 05:09:19 PM »
nibs - WHAT STANDARD AM I USING?!? I'm gonna break some news to you, I know this may be a big shock, but  Warren has released a MULTI - PLATINUM ALBUM. It doesn't mean he is better than BC, because god knows sales don't reflect talent.  But it does mean that his name is much more recognizeable to the average person than BC. That is a fact.

I'm not sure if you argued my point or not.  I couldn't agree with you more that battlecat has done beats for the pop audience as well as the underground.  In my opinion, warren has produced 2 undisputable classics with regulate g funk era and Twinz conversation.  two albums in which one had great pop success and another that is an underground classic.  Regulate went what 3x or 4x platinum? Warren has been ALL over BET and MTV. In no way am i saying that battlecat is not tight, but if you honestly think that more people have heard of battlecat than warren g you need to check yourself.

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2004, 05:35:48 PM »
I haven't heard the whole album yet so I can't comment on whether it's good or not.

My opinions on what's been debated:

A 213 album without Warren G production would be like a Cypress Hill album with No DJ Muggs, a Gangstarr album with no DJ Premier or a Wu-Tang album with no RZA.

As far as the Battlecat vs Warren G debate, I think Battlecat wins hands down when comparing careers. Still, Warren G should have been the producer for this album. I may think that DJ Quik is the greatest producer ever, but if he were to produce a Gangstarr album fori instance, it would just look and sound funny period. That's the point that everyone is making when they're saying that Warren G should have produced the album.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Big Doggly

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2004, 05:42:48 PM »
listen up...warren is an og-fuckin original, without him gangsta rap would not be close to what it has been so dont fuckin disrespect him and all yall haters can suck a bigggg fattt dicc.
PEACE to all the homies supportin Dub G

-BIGG Doggly

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2004, 05:50:17 PM »
nibs - WHAT STANDARD AM I USING?!? I'm gonna break some news to you, I know this may be a big shock, but  Warren has released a MULTI - PLATINUM ALBUM.

yes, but he's known as a rapper and not as a producer.  warren g has 4 albums in stores with his name on it, but as a producer he's only done one album that wasn't his own; and that would be the twinz (as you mentioned).  warren is famous, but not for producing.

you're talking underground classics?  all warren has is the twinz because that's all he's done.  battlecat can point to:
dazzie dee - tha rebirth (and where's my receipt was hot too)
yo yo - total control (amusingly warren had a hot track on this, but cat did 60% of it)
domino - domino

these are classics.  

i haven't heard anyone call boo yaa tribe - west koasta nostra  a classic, (and i certainly won't be the first as boo yaa tribe can't rap for shit, and the guests make the album) but there's some heat on it.  

if we start listing singles and videos it will be disrespectfully unbalanced in favor of cat.

how many hit singles has warren g produced for people named something other than "warren g"? how many underground classic tracks has warren g produced that aren't on his album (let alone those that don't feature him)?   dude works less than dre.  even his own camp, from lbc cats like perfec that he introduced, to bad azz, to the dpg to snoop, even nate dogg; have only used him sporadically.  dude works less than dre.

if we are measuring battlecat and warren g by their production skills and credits, warren doesn't stack up.

his name is much more recognizeable to the average person than BC. That is a fact.

maybe as a rapper.  as a produced he doesn't do shit.

In my opinion, warren has produced 2 undisputable classics with regulate g funk era and Twinz conversation.  two albums in which one had great pop success and another that is an underground classic.  Regulate went what 3x or 4x platinum? Warren has been ALL over BET and MTV. In no way am i saying that battlecat is not tight, but if you honestly think that more people have heard of battlecat than warren g you need to check yourself.

you're citing work he did in 93 and 94.  as a producer i'm saying battlecat is more recogizable.  i'm saying, if we take a random mtv audience and start playing hit songs battlecat will win.  the audience will know and recognize more bc songs.  battlecat has more commercial hits.  and if we take a poll and try to list underground classics in this forum,  battlecat will win by a huge margin.  battlecat has done more as a producer.  warren is only known as an artist.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 05:53:13 PM by nibs »

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2004, 08:23:55 PM »
Well I'll repeat myself for a 3rd time. I stated that if you go up to the average person and said "which person have you heard of - Warren G or Battlecat, an overwhelming number would say Warren.  The debate is who has a bigger name, never did I say that if you played a beat from battlecat that people wouldn't know it.  They most likely wouldn't even be able to attach his name to it.  On the other hand, if you play regulate, i'd be willing to bet that people would at least be able to attach Warren's name to it. 

Warren is the bigger name -  Period.

Danté Williams

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Diggie Dee aka Tha Preacher
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2004, 11:30:17 PM »
I just can't believe you're talking seriously, nibs.

You are in obvious ignorance of Warren G's work. And think that everyone is too. Warren G has multiplat, plat and gold albums, and several MEGA hits on the billboard. How can Battlecat compete with that? Cat is fucking dope, but he ain't know out the west. Warren is.

And yeah, Warren don't work that much. But you should get your facts straight mayne. Ever heard of a group called The Dove Shack? Or a female group called 5 Footaz? Everyone knows that, plus Warren has produced for a lot of artists. Both coasts. Maybe not as much as Battlecat, but then again who outside the west is recognizing a Battlecat beat on a eastcoast album? Nobody in the east is coping an album cause "it's got a Battlecat production on it".

Nevertheless, I feel where you're coming from, cause B Sharp is mad tight in my ears mayne. But one's got to recognize what Warren has meant for westcoast music and is still doing, being one of the most underrated producers in hiphop ever, alongside the Quiksta.